• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which Bible

Where? In your mind?
Just stick to the quote function rather than putting words in my mouth.

I'm very confused about your postings. Are you trying to critique the "historical critical method", or just individual posters?

I'm sorry you're confused.

I don't understand how it is that an entire post confuses you so completely that you can't be specific about which part you find confusing.

And I'm sorry that all your responses to my posts consist of asking me whether I'm saying something OTHER than what I actually wrote.

How about you try this alternative method of discourse.

"Hey Lion IRC, you [actually] wrote xyz and I disagree with you because...[insert evidence/reason/logic]"

Or/

"Hey Lion IRC could you please explain to me what you meant by xyz because I've never heard that term/word before and even a Google search didn't yield any results"

Or/

Hey Lion IRC even though you haven't actually stated xyz, I'd like to accuse you of thinking it because I'm hoping that will provoke you into admitting it.

Where? In your mind?
Just stick to the quote function rather than putting words in my mouth.

I'm very confused about your postings. Are you trying to critique the "historical critical method", or just individual posters?

I'm sorry you're confused.

I don't understand how it is that an entire post confuses you so completely that you can't be specific about which part you find confusing.

And I'm sorry that all your responses to my posts consist of asking me whether I'm saying something OTHER than what I actually wrote.

How about you try this alternative method of discourse.

"Hey Lion IRC, you [actually] wrote xyz and I disagree with you because...[insert evidence/reason/logic]"

Or/

"Hey Lion IRC could you please explain to me what you meant by xyz because I've never heard that term/word before and even a Google search didn't yield any results"

Or/

Hey Lion IRC even though you haven't actually stated xyz, I'd like to accuse you of thinking it because I'm hoping that will provoke you into admitting it.

If you followed your own advice, you might just answer the question instead of waffling on.

Quick quiz.
Q1. Any/all of the bible writers knew that their writing contained deliberate falsehood? Yes/No
Q2. Any/all of the bible writers lunatics? Yes/No
Q3. Any/all of the bible writers wrote historical/scientific truths and we can't account for how they learned such? Yes/No

Bonus question - can the historical critical method provide objective proof/evidence that Moses or David or Luke were lunatics, liars or plagiarists?

In a thread where the merits of textual scholarship is being questioned, these have to be some of the least scholarly questions ever. Somehow, based on writings where we have no idea who actually wrote them we're supposed to answer black and white questions about the motivations, integrity and/or sanity of people who have been dead for thousands of years. It's nonsense of the highest order.

Try answering these questions about scriptures you don't venerate first and see where you get.

Did any/all of the people involved in authoring the Rig Veda know that their writing contained deliberate falsehood?
Were any of the people involved in authoring the Rig Veda lunatics?
Did any writers of the Rig Veda write historical/scientific truths and we can't account for how they learned such?

Koran?

Book of Mormon?

Greek / Roman / Babylonian / Egyptian mythology?

The one thing all religious people who have a venerated scripture share is that they are eager to rationalize problems with their scripture while condemning other scriptures for the very same problems.

I would be happy to answer those questions.
But you first.

In a thread where the merits of textual scholarship is being questioned, these have to be some of the least scholarly questions ever. Somehow, based on writings where we have no idea who actually wrote them we're supposed to answer black and white questions about the motivations, integrity and/or sanity of people who have been dead for thousands of years. It's nonsense of the highest order.

Well I don't know about that. People find the phsycological aspects to be quite convincing ( I include myself I suppose, similar to Lee Strobel). Criminologists in their respected fields can get a pretty good picture, profiling unknown individuals. You don't have to be a forensic expert in the FBI to recognize human characteristics, taking from consistent texts throughout the bible, especially imo when you consider there to be a consistency ... from many writers involved.

Try answering these questions about scriptures you don't venerate first and see where you get.

Did any/all of the people involved in authoring the Rig Veda know that their writing contained deliberate falsehood?
Were any of the people involved in authoring the Rig Veda lunatics?
Did any writers of the Rig Veda write historical/scientific truths and we can't account for how they learned such?

The bible has always acknowledged and never denied the existence of various beliefs of other gods, in the scriptures. Of course the bible says there can only be one true God.

Koran?

Book of Mormon?

Greek / Roman / Babylonian / Egyptian mythology?

The one thing all religious people who have a venerated scripture share is that they are eager to rationalize problems with their scripture while condemning other scriptures for the very same problems.

Don't have time to put into detail but...

It can't be helped if believers of different faiths venerate their own scriptures which is understandable (sort of in agreement). Just as the bible says: 'Test ALL Things' (which should be with all faiths). Stating the Obvious...continuous studies, comparing and pitching scriptures alongside each other may change peoples minds. It does happens.

Yeah, Lee Strobel may be a decent lawyer but he's nothing but a big, fat liar when it comes to his "hard nosed investigation" in "Case For Christ." Big. Fat. Liar.

I have lived with my wife for many years and can't always tell what she's thinking or what her motivations are. People who think they can remote-diagnose psychoses of people based on writings they can't even be certain that individual produced and who they've never met and who died thousands of years ago are delusional at best. They can't be proven wrong of course, but they can certainly wow crowds of willing believers motivated by confirmation bias. Lots of money in that sort of thing.

Did I mention that Strobel is a big, fat liar? I think I did but just wanted to be sure.

But you first.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: My post implied that I cannot answer those questions. I'm certain there isn't enough information to do so. The rational thing to do when insufficient information is available is to withhold making conclusions. I could offer opinions but that's all they would be.

Feel free to jump to conclusions if that's your thing.

Yeah, Lee Strobel may be a decent lawyer but he's nothing but a big, fat liar when it comes to his "hard nosed investigation" in "Case For Christ." Big. Fat. Liar.

I have lived with my wife for many years and can't always tell what she's thinking or what her motivations are. People who think they can remote-diagnose psychoses of people based on writings they can't even be certain that individual produced and who they've never met and who died thousands of years ago are delusional at best. They can't be proven wrong of course, but they can certainly wow crowds of willing believers motivated by confirmation bias. Lots of money in that sort of thing.

Did I mention that Strobel is a big, fat liar? I think I did but just wanted to be sure.

You were able to make that conclusion of Strobel by reading about him? Yes it is possible after all.

Did I mention that Strobel is a big, fat liar?
A liar, yes. But he has found that many believers are more than eager to pay dearly to hear the lie that there are no atheists, only theists who call themselves atheist so they can fornicate and carouse. I understand he has accumulated something like eight million dollars supplying this need that believers have to believe that atheists are just despicable theists defying god.

But you first.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: My post implied that I cannot answer those questions. I'm certain there isn't enough information to do so. The rational thing to do when insufficient information is available is to withhold making conclusions. I could offer opinions but that's all they would be.

So you were asking rhetorically and assuming that since you can't answer no one can.

OK
Quick quiz. My answers to your rhetorical question.

Q1. Any/all of the [Rig Veda] writers knew that their writing contained deliberate falsehood?
No I don't think they told deliberate untruths. People who respect divine authority are the least likely to lie/blaspheme in the name of such an authority. Sincerely mistaken maybe. But not lying.

Q2. Any/all of the [Rig Veda] writers lunatics?
No. That is not my first instinct. I believe they were, at worst, reporting real experiences of a dream state or hallucination.
See Lobsang Rampa, Jidda Krishnamurti, Mouni Sadhu.

Q3. Any/all of the [Rig Veda] authors wrote historical/scientific truths and we can't account for how they learned such?
Yes. This is well known.

Bonus question - can the historical critical method provide objective proof/evidence that Moses or David or Luke were lunatics, liars or plagiarists?

No. Because its very method is its limitation.

Did I mention that Strobel is a big, fat liar?
A liar, yes. But he has found that many believers are more than eager to pay dearly to hear the lie that there are no atheists, only theists who call themselves atheist so they can fornicate and carouse. I understand he has accumulated something like eight million dollars supplying this need that believers have to believe that atheists are just despicable theists defying god.

Richard Dawkins
‏Verified account @RichardDawkins

"Just learned that sales of The God Delusion have topped 3 million. Please forgive me – unable to disguise my pleasure."
2:08 am - 3 Sep 2014

Dawkins actual twitter link
https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/507092728409522176

Five years later and still selling. I wonder how much has been accumulated by now, on just that book alone?

Let's just say at a modest $10.00 per book, multiplied by 3 million sales. That would make Dawkin's revenue exceed way above the accumulated eight million you say Strobel currently has. Even in 2014, Dawkin's book generated more.

I would buy both Strobel's and Dawkin's books anyhow.

Last edited:
I'm certain that Lee Strobel is a big fat liar precisely because he told a big fat lie in "The Case For Christ." He claimed that he was going to investigate both sides of the question objectively, yet never interviewed a single critical scholar and only ever presented opposing viewpoints by interviewing people who were believers and asking them what the opposition said.

That's like presenting evidence about the Theory of Evolution by using nothing but excerpts from Answers In Genesis.

Or it's like only letting the defense attorney in a court case interview witnesses and submit evidence.

Dude's an excellent writer, I'll give him that.

But he's a Big. Fat. Liar. Pants on fire.

I don't see any objective/falsifiable fact claims made by Lee Strobel being refuted here.
Or here https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...defence-of-Lee-Strobel-s-1998-apologetic-book

If an author says they are going to interview "experts" on a topic and you personally don't believe those people are experts that's just your opinion. You can't falsify Strobel's claim that the experts he interviewed were/are experts.

Moreover, in The Case For Christ, the experts Strobel interviews actually DO cover the most common and important sceptical objections - both sides of the controversy. The entire book is full of answers TO those objections.

And as Learner rightly pointed out, the accusation of mercenary motive is humongous logical fallacy. If the amount of money an author makes from their book sales is evidence that they were only writing for money, (which it is not,) then Dawkins is more of a "liar" than Strobel.

BTW - Dawkins sold more books theists than he sold to atheists.
So there goes your lame argument that AvT writers are doing it to capitalize on what religious people want - "supplying this need that believers have"

But you first.

So you were asking rhetorically and assuming that since you can't answer no one can.

OK
Quick quiz. My answers to your rhetorical question.

Q1. Any/all of the [Rig Veda] writers knew that their writing contained deliberate falsehood?
No I don't think they told deliberate untruths. People who respect divine authority are the least likely to lie/blaspheme in the name of such an authority. Sincerely mistaken maybe. But not lying.

Q2. Any/all of the [Rig Veda] writers lunatics?
No. That is not my first instinct. I believe they were, at worst, reporting real experiences of a dream state or hallucination.
See Lobsang Rampa, Jidda Krishnamurti, Mouni Sadhu.

Q3. Any/all of the [Rig Veda] authors wrote historical/scientific truths and we can't account for how they learned such?
Yes. This is well known.

No. Because its very method is its limitation.

I wasn't assuming that nobody could produce what they claim are answers to those questions. But I'm certain there is insufficient information to produce a methodology to validate/invalidate those answers which you gave. I, like you, could proffer answers, and my answers might differ from yours. What neither of us can do is substantiate those answers.

However, since you gave your opinion I am disposed to point out a few things about them.

First, it is almost universally accepted that several of the "Pauline" epistles were written by one or more individuals pretending to be Paul. This seems like a deliberate falsehood, but I'm willing to wait for better evidence before passing judgement. It is nearly dead certain that whoever wrote the epistles of Peter was a forger. That individual claimed to have met Jesus and claimed to have been "with him on the mountain top" (probably an allusion to the transfiguration legend). If this is the case that individual was lying. Whoever wrote "Matthew" included a bullshit story about King Herod having all male children under the age of two slaughtered. There's no way this happened in real life because if it did it would have been reported by secular sources. Whoever wrote "Luke" included a bullshit story about a "musical chairs" census that required people to return to the land of their ancestors to be counted. Never happened. There are many other untruths contained in the Buybull. What isn't completely obvious is whether the writers were deliberately making these things up or if they simply believed them to be true because they read it somewhere on the Internet. It is also undeniably true that there are a great many books that are considered  Pseudepigrapha that claim to have been written by one or another figure from religious lore. These appear to have been written by people hoping that (like whoever wrote the non-authentic Pauline epistles and the epistles of Peter) they'd make it into the big time. I feel like the evidence falls squarely against your implication that nobody would try to contribute to the bible while being purposely deceptive.

On the second count I simply re-assert my position that a diagnosis of mental illness based on nothing else besides a few pages written at one point in a long-dead individual's lifetime is a fool's errand. Trained psychiatrists actually meet, talk with and observe their patients for what might turn into many sessions before they are able to feel comfortable coming to a diagnosis. But hey, who are we to let a little thing like a lack of years of medical school, training, specialized studies, internships, etc., get between us and coming up with accurate diagnoses of people we'll never meet?

Regarding the third question it once again comes down to a lack of information. Not knowing how someone came into a particular epiphany or bit of knowledge is nothing more than that. I notice that none of these writers ever came up with such epiphanies as nuclear fusion, germ theory, the existence of the asteroid belt or electromagnetic telecommunications theory. Whatever knowledge these people wrote about is invariably limited to the capacities of technology of their day. There might have been a few wild guesses that just happened to be right, but blind pigs do get the occasional acorn.

Regarding the "bonus" question I just feel like it's incumbent to point out that we really don't know much about the various characters that are part of religious lore. It's impossible to know if Moses was fictional or real. It's damn certain the Exodus never happened as described. There may have been a king David, but how much of that story is legend as opposed to actual events is subject for much spirited debate.

You mention Luke as if there is some universal certainty that Luke was the writer of the gospel traditionally attributed to him along with the book of Acts. This is just not true and I for one am highly skeptical of that assumption. Willing to be convinced but haven't seen any evidence to back it up.

Determining the motivations of religious people when making claims pursuant to their beliefs is extremely difficult no matter what age or level of technology is available at the time. Is Kenneth Copeland sincere or is he a charlatan? Creflo Dollar? Jim Bakker? Was Jim Jones a beliver or did he make all that shit up? Marshall Applewhite? Sun Myung Moon?

What about Joseph Smith? The Book of Mormon contains an epilogue called the "Witness of the Eight" with the sworn and signed testimony of eight men who claimed they handled the golden plates and witnessed first-hand the translation process by which the book of Mormon was translated out of "Reformed Egyptian." They "swear to God" that the plates are of ancient origin, curious workmanship, etc. After the translation was complete these alleged golden plates were given back to the angel Moroni, never to be seen by humans again.

Were these people intentionally lying? Were they crazy? I might have an opinion on the matter but in spite of the copious literature that has been written on the subject since it happened I don't know that anyone can say with certainty now. They never recanted their story even though many of them parted ways with the Mormon church.

If one wants to apply any degree of scholarship to the methodology of historical criticism one must be aware of its limits as well as the wealth of information about what people can and will do. I fully understand the desire to think of the writers of the Bible as being above any hint of deceitfulness. But I'm willing to at least consider the possibility that they might not have been completely honest. Anything less is borne of confirmation bias.

I thought the historical critical method basically talked itself into irrelevance. How can you study the bible without canonical exegesis?

"A significant limitation of the historical-critical method is that its hyper-focus on human authorship tends to leave us with a jumble of at best vaguely related texts, each with its own distinctive finality and meaning. We have, in a word, what Isaiah meant and what the author of the book of Job meant and what Mark and Paul meant—but not what God means across the whole of the Bible."

https://www.wordonfire.org/resources/article/pope-benedict-and-how-to-read-the-bible/22322/

forget about the hyper-focus on human authorship... what about the hyper-focus that god-authored words mean anyhting at all close to what you think they mean.. when god says "a dog".. your simply human brain thinks of the animal... but god is great and when he says "a dog", he is saying a large nuber of great truths about the human condition that we can not even get close to comprehending.
This hyper-focus on the idea that we think we know what those words means is fucking hysterical.

Richard Dawkins
‏Verified account @RichardDawkins

"Just learned that sales of The God Delusion have topped 3 million. Please forgive me – unable to disguise my pleasure."
2:08 am - 3 Sep 2014

Dawkins actual twitter link
https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/507092728409522176

Five years later and still selling. I wonder how much has been accumulated by now, on just that book alone?

Let's just say at a modest $10.00 per book, multiplied by 3 million sales. That would make Dawkin's revenue exceed way above the accumulated eight million you say Strobel currently has. Even in 2014, Dawkin's book generated more.

I would buy both Strobel's and Dawkin's books anyhow.

Now that is an interesting (and amusing) post. You are admitting that Strobel is as despicable a liar as you think Dawkins is.

I was only focusing on how much one can EARN writing books. Suddenly I have an utmost desire to write a book earning a living as these two are doing (if only).
Indeed so. A lot of money can be made preying on a group's obsession by telling them what they already believe, especially if that belief is contested by others. I once started writing such a book targeting UFO believers but then considered the ethics and dropped it.

forget about the hyper-focus on human authorship... what about the hyper-focus that god-authored words mean anyhting at all close to what you think they mean.. when god says "a dog".. your simply human brain thinks of the animal... but god is great and when he says "a dog", he is saying a large nuber of great truths about the human condition that we can not even get close to comprehending.

This hyper-focus on the idea that we think we know what those words means is fucking hysterical.

The only difficulty has been translation i.e. an ancient language into a modern one. The Prophets did all the explaining so to speak (accidental pun) and I would assume that people then, knew exactly what they were writing down. Anyway fortunately in this day and age we can study with translation-tools like 'Strongs Concordance' for example, to clarify Hebrew words that have specific meanings when the modern word replacement could mean several different things, which obviously could potentially give the wrong contexts to the verses as often happens. Its an ongoing process of course.

Back
Top Bottom