• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Hobbit (all three movies, extended versions...) - 7.5/10

Well I really liked "unexpected journey", but after that things went downhill.
That doesn't bode well for a person (me) who couldn't finish The Unexpected Journey.
It's not just the violins. The Oscars also measure how many white people the movie has in it.
That explains why Al Pacino won for Scent of a Woman over Washington in Malcolm X.

The hateful eight - over the top violence, interesting dialogue. 7/10

Agreed, tho IMO you're a point or so generous.

I get the humorous side, or rather that it's supposed to be. It doesn't seem funny to me. The soliloquies seem out of sorts with the swinging dick types the characters are supposed to be, stone hearted killers compulsively explaining themselves, homicidal Woody Allens.

The Tarantino movie I really liked and still do is Jackie Brown. He achieved a balance in that. But I've by no means seen them all.

The Revenant

Great visuals, gripping soundtrack, good performances, and a simple story well-told. However...

Leonardo Dicaprio was absolutely the wrong actor for the lead. I was never convinced that he was actually the character he was playing, I just kept thinking "that's Leo trying to win an Oscar." Tom Hardy, on the other hand, was effortless in his portrayal to the point where I no longer remembered it was Tom Hardy (the best any actor can hope for).

7.5/10

I agree it's visually stunning, and Tom Hardy was great, tho I couldn't believe in his character. I think such expeditions were all for one, one for all because they all expected the same treatment. For Hardys character to loudly advocate abandoning someone is telling everyone it's ok to leave him behind if he gets hurt. Who in their right mind would go off into the wilderness with such a person? The captain was a simpleton, from beginning to end.

And Leonardo went through so much I found myself hoping he'd die and get it over with already, end all the suffering.

Unfriended

How could a movie about 5 teenagers skype-ing, messaging, texting, and calling each other possibly be worthy of watching?

Well, it is!

The premise is that these 5 young people did something to cause a girl's suicide and now this girl is taking revenge on them from beyond the grave. While nothing new, it's the way that it's done that makes it so cool. The entire movie is viewed through one of the character's computer screens and takes place during an online chat session between her and the other characters. As they get offed one by one, each of their secrets is revealed in a way that makes you cringe because suddenly all the protection that's afforded by the internet is suddenly torn away in a fashion that can't be duplicated by anything else.

I don't want to say much else, because I'm horrible at unintentionally farting forth spoilers. But if you like scary, suspenseful movies, this is a good one. See it.

8/10

Rampart, 0/10; Stars Woody Harrelson as LAPD cop Dave Brown, assigned to the Rampart division which is going through a corruption scandal. Brown is no angel and has a dark past and draws heat for some of his shady practices. But the film is just so stupid and un watchable. It's one for the luvvies who can admire the grit and angst of method actors going through their paces. Utter shite.

I just think they went too far with it. The parallels were just nakedly obvious.

The main bad guy is a dude in a black mask and robes who was trained by an older Jedi master and it all went to shit and he was seduced by the dark side of the Force and the older Jedi master has gone into hiding in a remote location.

The main bad guy character is also revealed to be a close relation to a couple of the major characters.

Part of the plot revolves around tracking down and finding the older Jedi master.

There's a new Death Star. And it's even BIGGERER. It's no longer moon sized, it's a whole fucking planet! And it's got an even bigger superlaser.

Which has a weakness that is exploited and ace pilot does the deed of destroying the Death Star.

Cute non-humanoid droid that talks in bleeps and bloops has secret plans map that the plot revolves around.

Protagonist is orphan that lives on remote desert planet.

Main bad guy isn't actually main bad guy. He's just an enforcer and right-hand man of a mysterious dark lord pulling strings behind the scenes who communicates with him via hologram.

Death Star isn't commanded by the Darth Vader clone, but by a brutal senior military commander (Hux/Tarkin).

And a lot of fan service just to keep people happy. Look, here's the lovable droids from the original movies! And Chewy! And the Millennium Falcon! Remember them?

Etc. etc.

It all came across as a very safe and calculated movie whereby the marketing executives at Disney figured out a formulaic way of regenerating the buzz of the original movies, to the extent that they just decided on a remake in anything but name.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it though.

This ^^^

I finally saw Star Wars.

It was just a rehash of the Episode 7 with some Episode 8s and 9s thrown in.

Opens with huge space ship over planet? Check
Desert planet? Check
Girl dressed in sexier desert robes but with a similar color scheme/clothing texture as Luke? Check
Cute blooping robot? Check
Cute blooping robot that has a secret that bad guys are looking for but is happened upon by cute girl? Check
Smart-ass, cocky good looking super pilot with single syllable first name who gets tortured? Check
Third Reich-ish Empire-like bad guys? Check
Super large intimidating weapon that's used for extreme evil and genocide? Check
Rebels/Republic fighters who have to dive into large super weapon to destroy it after small team sneaks onto planet to lower the shields and destabilize weapons device? Check
Evil, bad guy in black mask and robes who is of the Dark Side? Check
Lightsaber fight? Check

Well, you get the hint and you probably know how the rest of the story goes.

JJ Abrams did exactly what the naysayers said he would.

He just warmed up the old episode that made everyone cheer the first time around to draw in new fans. The older fans just sat there, disappointed. No cheering, not even a hint of cheering or wanting to re-watch the movie.

The only interesting arc was Finn's. How does a stormtrooper give it up? Would have been interesting had the story of storm troopers overcoming their conditioning been the main story, but no, JJ has to reuse all the old parts and then some.

Example - Jedi spent their lives training and learning how to control the Force and the lightsaber as an extension of their Force usage. In this movie, folks off the street who've never even held a lightsaber can fight effectively with it.

Example - scary guy in the black suit is not scary. He's not even scary to the stormtroopers. He's not even powerful. He's a cosplay kid. He's laughable. He throws tantrums, literally, and he wears a mask he doesn't need :lol:. The guy in the black suit is a ridiculous kid. He's a D-list Sith. He "trained with Luke, but turned against him". LOL. He was seduced by the Dark Side and his pride got in the way before he finished his training and it shows. He sucks so bad he's not even a Dark Lord. He has hissy fits, he's not a good swordsman, he's not even very sensitive to the Force. People sneak around him and he doesn't even know they're there.

Example - big planet sized star killer weapon. Leaving aside the gravitational catastrophe of doing away with your local sun and the time it would take to suck it dry, did JJ Abrams/writers not realize that destroying a weapon does nothing but slow things down? The Empire/First Order still has the plans on how to make one. They will just make another one. As they did in Return of the Jedi.

Example - the Empire had very poor surveillance. So does the First Order. In my viewing, my sister leaned over and whispered, "They have cameras on doors on small ships but not on hallways in huge super secret weapon bases?"

Example - cute girl character with tragic past who chooses to learn the Jedi way...except she's just single. We don't see her tragic past. She really doesn't have one. She's basically just a twenty something living paycheck to paycheck, so to speak, and sad that her family just abandoned her. So unlike Luke, with his murdered family, Rey's personal background is humdrum.

Other plot issues - continuity. We hear "weapon will be effective in 10 minutes" just as we see our heroes approach a physical barrier that will take them the better part of an hour to climb. We hear "weapon will be ready to discharge in 2 minutes" as our heroes start to leave the base. Seconds later, they're a quarter mile away. Are they Olympic sprinting champions? Silly.

SO many things JJ Abrams could have done differently with the new Star Wars. Instead, he chose to just repeat the past. Pressured to make money? Probably. But he forgot. The fans were already there. We just need a good story. This wasn't it.

Star Wars the Force Awakens 5.5/10

MST3K (various)

They're still pretty good, but a lot of the appeal is nostalgia. It would be nice to see a new version come out that's a touch edgier. There are more than enough bad films out these days that would lend themselves well to the MST3K treatment. Hell, there are blockbusters that deserve a public skewering and this format would work so well.

If I ever win a billion dollars somehow, I'm going to finance a revival of this type of show.

10/10 because there wasn't hasn't been anything to compete with it. Yeah, there was Elvira and similar shows that made fun of the featured film, but they only did between breaks in the movie. So MST3K wins by default.

MST3K (various)

They're still pretty good, but a lot of the appeal is nostalgia. It would be nice to see a new version come out that's a touch edgier. There are more than enough bad films out these days that would lend themselves well to the MST3K treatment. Hell, there are blockbusters that deserve a public skewering and this format would work so well.
You should check out RiffTrax. They do exactly that. Made watching Twilight possible.

If I ever win a billion dollars somehow, I'm going to finance a revival of this type of show.
The Kickstarter was already started and completed for a new run of 8 or 10 shows.

because there wasn't hasn't been anything to compete with it. Yeah, there was Elvira and similar shows that made fun of the featured film, but they only did between breaks in the movie. So MST3K wins by default.
Every show isn't 10 of 10.

The Lion in Winter 1968. Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn. Great movie about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine with Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton making impressive screen debuts. 9/10

Sorry, I meant Episode 4 with some 5s and 6s thrown in.

You should check out RiffTrax. They do exactly that. Made watching Twilight possible.

The Kickstarter was already started and completed for a new run of 8 or 10 shows.

because there wasn't hasn't been anything to compete with it. Yeah, there was Elvira and similar shows that made fun of the featured film, but they only did between breaks in the movie. So MST3K wins by default.
Every show isn't 10 of 10.

Thanks for the Rifftrax tip!

Starsky & Hutch (2004) (3/10)

One of the worst shit films ever made. I don't think any of the jokes paid off. Often just lousy timing. But mostly just lame ideas for jokes. Which annoyed me since they had such a great line up of actors. It should have been the perfect recipe for a film. It was nice when the original actors turned up. Not as cameos. But as themselves commenting on the "new generation". That was clever. But the rest. Nightmare. I'd put this in the "spoof" category of film. But not a particularly good one. I think this is more a lazy Ben-Stiller-film. Snoop Dog is of course amazingly good even though he doesn't do much. That guy is a subtle actor. He needs more cred than he gets IMHO. Not sure what his range is since he only ever does one character. But he does it very well.

The Lion in Winter 1968. Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn. Great movie about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine with Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton making impressive screen debuts. 9/10
At times, it feels there is a little over acting, but overall, O'Toole and Hepburn offer unbelievably forceful performances. The whole film is incredible. And having watched it kind of makes watching the half-way crap Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe a little better because it acts like a Part I to a sequel.

I finally saw Star Wars.

Opens with huge space ship over planet? Check
Desert planet? Check
Girl dressed in sexier desert robes but with a similar color scheme/clothing texture as Luke? Check
Cute blooping robot? Check
Cute blooping robot that has a secret that bad guys are looking for but is happened upon by cute girl? Check
Smart-ass, cocky good looking super pilot with single syllable first name who gets tortured? Check
Third Reich-ish Empire-like bad guys? Check
Super large intimidating weapon that's used for extreme evil and genocide? Check
Rebels/Republic fighters who have to dive into large super weapon to destroy it after small team sneaks onto planet to lower the shields and destabilize weapons device? Check
Evil, bad guy in black mask and robes who is of the Dark Side? Check
Lightsaber fight? Check

Well, you get the hint and you probably know how the rest of the story goes.

JJ Abrams did exactly what the naysayers said he would.
I got this far until I realized you just messed up the episode numbers and probably really meant 4, 5, and 6... but it would have been more fun as review of original Star Wars :p

Lucas was totally ripping off J.J. Abrams.

Jane Got a Gun

7/10

This was a notoriously troubled production--almost everyone not named Natalie Portman who was involved when this one was greenlit either left the production or took on a different role before it was finished--and it's in the middle of crashing and burning at the box office. But it's actually worth a look. There's nothing all that new here, at least for anyone who knows their Westerns--even having a strong female protagonist isn't really groundbreaking these days--but it is a very competently executed genre film with a strong lead performance from Portman as the title character. It reminds me of some of the old Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott Westerns; it's very austere, with some action, but more focus on the characters and how they come to terms with the past. Any fans of Portman's will want to see it (but hurry, it's probably not going to be in theaters much longer).

Jane Got a Gun

7/10

This was a notoriously troubled production--almost everyone not named Natalie Portman who was involved when this one was greenlit either left the production or took on a different role before it was finished--and it's in the middle of crashing and burning at the box office. But it's actually worth a look. There's nothing all that new here, at least for anyone who knows their Westerns--even having a strong female protagonist isn't really groundbreaking these days--but it is a very competently executed genre film with a strong lead performance from Portman as the title character. It reminds me of some of the old Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott Westerns; it's very austere, with some action, but more focus on the characters and how they come to terms with the past. Any fans of Portman's will want to see it (but hurry, it's probably not going to be in theaters much longer).

Interestingly, the 3 top billed actors all worked together in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.

Back
Top Bottom