• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Irma La Douce 9.9/10

Great performances by Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. I honestly can't find anything wrong with this film.
Jack Lemmon starts going over the top a bit when he plays the rich guy. But that's another story.

Captain Phillips 10/10

From the opening scene to the end Tom Hanks had me hooked. Suspenseful, just believable enough, and it made you feel the point of view of both parties. I'm not a rah-rah Merica Right or Wrong person but seeing the battleships coming at the pirate craft reminded me how stupidly powerful our military is.

The Muppets: Most Wanted - 6/10. I absolutely loved the previous outing, but this just fell flat. Not terrible, just flat.
The Lego Movie - 7.5/10. Great fun, but disjointed here and there. Maybe a touch too kiddish?
Captain America: The Winter Solder - 10/10. Just a blast, start to finish.

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral

7/10

This John Sturges film is neither the best nor the worst cinematic retelling of the story of Wyatt Earp (Burt Lancaster), Doc Holliday (Kirk Douglas), and the 1881 shootout in Tombstone, AZ, which made them famous. It's a pretty good action western, but it is very unsubtle, even heavy-handed, in both script and tone. I've often felt that it would have worked better if the two leads had switched roles. Douglas excelled at portraying characters like the rigidly righteous Earp of the script, while Lancaster, although his rugged physique would have been even less apt for the tubercular Holliday than was Douglas, was a master at playing morally ambiguous protagonists.

Django

1/10

The most absurd stupid movie I have ever seen.

A preponderance of the words nigger and white boy wita little black rap..

A rather silly black character version of Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti westerns.

You go your A movies and B movies, this one is a D.

Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Overall, this is a really good film. I'd say on par with the first Ironman, with the bonus of this not being an origins film.

I think the story falls a little with the cliche infiltrated plot line. Additionally said infiltration of Hydra, while interesting, seemed entirely unpredictable. Instead of leading up to a potential infiltration with a hint here and there... it just is. That felt a bit betraying, plot wise.

The film was shot well, overall the plot does hold together, and the characters do develop decently. The individual mind sets of each of the Avenger characters is getting laid out pretty well.

3 of 4

My main problem with Cap II is that there just seemed to be way too many Hydra agents. I get that they infiltrated some key positions, had a few teams of bad guys, etc, but it looked like they had a huge number of evil people who were content to just sit there and spend a few decades as sleeper agents until they got activated early by Fury figuring out something was wrong. It got worse in the SHIELD TV show (despite it being one of the most awesome hour's of television that I've seen in a long time) when Hydra took over like every single SHIELD base in the world. It's overdoing the infiltration plotline just a little bit.

The Hail Hydra meme that's going around the internet with all the pics is pretty funny, though.

My main problem with Cap II is that there just seemed to be way too many Hydra agents. I get that they infiltrated some key positions, had a few teams of bad guys, etc, but it looked like they had a huge number of evil people who were content to just sit there and spend a few decades as sleeper agents until they got activated early by Fury figuring out something was wrong. It got worse in the SHIELD TV show (despite it being one of the most awesome hour's of television that I've seen in a long time) when Hydra took over like every single SHIELD base in the world. It's overdoing the infiltration plotline just a little bit.

The Hail Hydra meme that's going around the internet with all the pics is pretty funny, though.
Agreed. They didn't infiltrate it, Shield was it.

The other thing was

They go through all this trouble creating that guy's brain on tape (to be honest, I don't think the facility was anywhere large enough to do that), and just blow it up without a second thought. Couldn't they have simply locked down the facility, nerve gas or something and kept the brain on tape?

Agreed. They didn't infiltrate it, Shield was it.

The other thing was

They go through all this trouble creating that guy's brain on tape (to be honest, I don't think the facility was anywhere large enough to do that), and just blow it up without a second thought. Couldn't they have simply locked down the facility, nerve gas or something and kept the brain on tape?

Ya, that made no sense at all. They have him on computer, but don't back him up to any better servers or anything over the past 40 years? He has enough of an internet connection to launch missiles at himself but not enough to sign up for a SkyDrive or something to save a copy? He's a key player in the implementation of a machiavellian plot that Hydra's spent generations working on, but he's not worth so much as having an unpaid intern hang around to make a phone call if he's threatened? His inclusion in the movie was just a completely useless aside.

Ya, that made no sense at all. They have him on computer, but don't back him up to any better servers or anything over the past 40 years?

Do we know that he isn't backed up to the cloud somewhere?

Zola is a major villain in the Cap America universe, second perhaps only to Red Skull in frequency of appearance. And that's a oft-used trope in comics:

Hero: "You! I thought you were dead!*"

*ED: See Issue #348

Villain: "Fool! You only defeated a (copy|clone|backup|mirage|whathaveyou) of my essence! With my power, I will always survive!!"

The Wolf of Wall Street -- 4/10

Academy Award nominee for Best Picture? Really? This movie was boring. I was never engaged, and didn't give a crap about whether any of the characters thrived or died. There wasn't a single real person in the picture; they were all charicatures. Over-the-top use of gratuitous T&A; I'm surprised it pulled off an "R" rating, but that's Scorcese for you. I'll give you Jonah Hill as a nominee for Best Supporting Actor, but not DiCaprio for Best Actor.

Do we know that he isn't backed up to the cloud somewhere?

Zola is a major villain in the Cap America universe, second perhaps only to Red Skull in frequency of appearance. And that's a oft-used trope in comics:

Robert Redford confirmed that he's dead and that they lost Zola as a result of Captain America's actions.

Robert Redford confirmed that he's dead and that they lost Zola as a result of Captain America's actions.

I missed that on my viewing.

But...

Pfft to that. First, RR is one of the villains, so he's not to be trusted. Second, Zola's more than capable of concealing his own machinations, even from someone he might consider his superior.

Lego Movie
7/10
I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this movie
And when it was over I found myself entertained and happy
This is a movie that has good characters, beautiful animation and a good array of jokes and comedic moments
it doesn't go overboard with references and it doesn't stoop to the lowest forms of humour
And in the end it was entertaining from start to finish with a few heartfelt moments in between
So I can say that this movie is definitely worth a watch

Cars 2
5/10
Ok so this is definitely better then the first movie (Whos biggest crime was being just kinda bland)
But it isn't alot better
Mostly because of Mater
If you can stand Mater then the new characters will generally entertain and the story will be a solid watch
If you can't stand Mater then this movie is not for you
So in the end it is an ok movie that you can take or leave denpending on your views about Mater

I missed that on my viewing.

But...

Pfft to that. First, RR is one of the villains, so he's not to be trusted. Second, Zola's more than capable of concealing his own machinations, even from someone he might consider his superior.

Doesn't matter. Based on simple extrapolation, about 95% of the world population will be Hydra by the next Captain America film. By the 4th, everyone but him will be... and he'll still win.

Swimming to Cambodia

7/10

I'd seen it a long time ago, but watched it again today. The late Spalding Gray delivers a monologue (as he is know for) centered around his experiences filming a small part in the movie The Killing Fields.

No special effects. No big production values. Just one guy sitting at a table in a tiny theater, occasionally looking down at his notebook. There's some basic (but well done) camera work, lighting changes, and some apparent edits, but other than that, just one guy telling a story.

And a fascinating one at that. It is a couple degrees separated from the Vietnam War (a movie about a guy who was in a movie about one of the unintended consequences of one bombing campaign associated with that war), but at the end of the day it really is about Vietnam...the centerpiece of our misguided adventure in Southeast Asia.

How to Steal a Million

7/10

This comic caper film is lightweight, even by the standards of the genre. However, it benefits enormously from the plucky heroine played by Audrey Hepburn, before whose ingenuous charms even the most cynical viewer can suspend their disbelief for a couple of hours.

The Palm Beach Story

9/10

This delightful comedy comes from the middle of the 1940-44 period when Preston Sturges could do no wrong as a writer-director and is a very good example of the zany sophistication that gave his comedies a unique quality. Claudette Colbert, a great comic actress, gave one of her best performances, bandleader/crooner Rudy Vallee had his best film role ever as John D. Rockefeller, er, Hackensacker III, and Joel McCrea, not someone you'd think of as a comic great, is very effective as a foil for both of them as well as for much of the rest of the cast. Robert Dudley has a memorable cameo as the Wienie King.

I just couldn't resist watching Sharkanado again to see if it's as bad as it was when I first watched it. Second time round is even worst, trust me. The actors including the bimbo Tara Reid are just going through the motions. Surely they can act slightly better than that. A shark appears in the bimbo's lounge and eats her daughters boyfriend. enough said!
1.5/10 :rolleyes:

Finally got around to watching Thor 2. Exceeded my low expectations. Ending raised some...interesting questions.

Back
Top Bottom