• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Predestined (2014) Time traveling movie that doesn't leave a plot hole. 4/5 But they have to do a lot of bootstrapping to get there. Great acting and story line.

Marketing the Messiah.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8InPAMOHoA[/YOUTUBE]

This is one of those few films nowadays where the trailer doesn't give away the movie.

The Acid House, 6/10; A screen adaptation of three stories from the Irvine Welsh book of the same name. The book is very, very good but the adaptation to screen just doesn't do the book justice. Irvine Welsh produces some way out there stuff but does it brilliantly. The best of the three stories "The Granton Star Cause" which was a bit more successful for the screen is the best. This is the first story in the film and is well worth watching. The scene where the main character Boab gets into a dialogue with God (played by the brilliant Maurice Roëves) in an Edinburgh pub makes the whole thing worth it.

Northern Soul, 7/10; An entertaining movies set in 1974 Lancashire tells the story of two lads that forge a friendship over their love of Northern Soul music and plan to go to the USA to bring back never before heard soul music to the UK Northern Soul clubs. The Northern Souls scene has a darker underbelly to it in the form of rampant drug use, mostly amphetamines. A pretty good story of working class lads struggling against the soul crushing drudgery of a dreary town. The music track is excellent. Steve Coogan, Ricky Tomlinson and Lisa Stansfield appear.

Face-off (with Rifftrax) - Face-Off was a better movie when it came out. It definitely has a jumping the shark moment and a really silly premise, but it holds together well enough as a popcorn action film. With the Rifftrax it is absolute gold!

2.5 of 4 without Rifftrax
3.5 of 4 with Rifftrax

The Egyptian (1954)

I was reading ancient Egyptian litterature and came to the Story of Sinuhe, a ancient Egyptian epic, set in the time of Amenemhat I. The pharao is murdered and Sinuhe is worried he might get implicated. I then found out it was made into a Hollywood movie. And also available on YouTube in its entirety.

Unless you have a nerdy interest in Egypt you won't like it. It's a pretty lame block buster type film. Dialogue is theatrical and overly dramatic. And stupidly re-written. The main character is an ancient doctor, yet practices modern medicine. That's just silly. And unnecessary, since Sinuhe in the epic, isn't a doctor. Just lots of pointless drama and action.

I still liked it because I have a nerdy interest in Egypt, and we're not exactly spoiled for content.

https://ancientegyptonline.co.uk/storysinuhe/

https://youtu.be/Ayr6UZhA2a0

The Mitchells verses The Machines - An enjoyable family romp about a dysfunctional family dealing with an impending robot apocalypse. Plenty of cliches, but the animation has some fresh style to it. The loaf of bread does steal the show. The movie, while not very authentic, doesn't overstay its welcome (nor does it lag) and competently manages the billion time told stories of a teen becoming an adult and family road trips. 3 of 4
It occurred to me that this movie, upon a second watching is a reskin'd clone of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Young adult outsider with weird pet coping with father who doesn't 'get it', dealing with a technological Armageddon of which a machine is causing, and the noted attempt to save the world is via a USB thumb drive of which is lost or destroyed and an alternative plan is required, both of which the protagonist allegedly dies while saving the day.

Sony did both films, so it wasn't as much plagiarism as it was reskin'ing a movie like an old pinball table into a new one. I really like both movies, but they are definitely related.

Beats, 5/10; Two youths living in a non descript council scheme somewhere in central Scotland that rebel against the "anti social" laws aimed at the illegal rave scene that was popular in the early 90's. At times the movie is good and interesting as it portrays the bleak environment of living in council schemes. Johnno and Spanner don't have much going for them so the appeal of the illegal rave scene draws them in to a world of drugs, alcohol, violence and music as they search out the venue for an illegal rave. This movie gets rave reviews but I don't see why. It was a plodding story line that could have been made much better if there was a decent soundtrack helping it along. I wanted to hear more of the music but there was scant sign of it until the very end. The two main actors were excellent and most of the supporting cast put in very convincing performances.

Yesterday (Netflicks) A strange event occurs on earth where some of our past events are erased from time. Also a bit of a chick flick if you have to pick a movie for the both of you. A definite comedy/feelgood movie. 8/10

Paw Patrol The Movie - Wow! I was NOT expecting that. It was Paw Patrol meets Island of Dr Moreau and Frankenstein.

The movie opens up with Mayor Humdinger rock climbing in the bay. He notices concrete where it doesn’t belong. It was quite corroded and he was able to chip it away after he came back with tools. It opened up to a crevice and he peers inside. He notices it goes deeper so he goes inside. It gets dark and there is a bit of silence and sounds of him walking. You hear a little splashing water from footsteps and then you hear a voice, ‘Ryder, is that you?’

The film then pans out to Adventure Bay with the Pups doing Paw Patrol stuff. Really benign and boring. Ryder is seen tinkering with something in his lab. Something stupid happens with the Mayor’s chicken, they save the day, a pup says a dumb pun, they all laugh, except Ryder rolled his eyes.

The film takes us back to Mayor Humdinger's home and he is introducing what he is calling The Originals to his Patrol Cats. The Originals are a bit on edge and kookie looking and acting dogs. This scares his cats away. The Originals tell the Mayor a lot more about their origins. That Ryder helped create them and experimented on them, but he was always angry at them because they couldn’t speak well, had little coordination, couldn’t remember their catchphrases, or operate heavy machinery. After a while, Ryder told then he was heading out for more snacks, but he never came back. The pups were older now but scrawny, surviving on whatever shellfish or fish that managed to get into wandered into the crevice area behind the rock face. Humdinger gets an evil look on his face and then orders a lot of food to be delivered for ‘his pups’.

The movie pans back and forth between the Paw Patrol rescuing this or that and snippets of Ryder working on something and Humdinger getting the other pups back to fitness. It isn’t easy, as the pups are very awkward and don’t have much coordination and can snap easily. But they come to like Humdinger who has taken great care of them. Of course the Mayor is up to something but we don’t know what, but is soon partially revealed.

The race for mayor of Adventure Bay is coming up and Humdinger says he has an announcement and a groundbreaking surprise. Even Ryder and the Paw Patrol are there. He announces before a decent sized crowd that he is running for mayor and that he has something he wants to show everyone to expose those that Mayor Goodway has bestowed so much trust in. He reveals The Originals. The crowd notices the resemblance to the Paw Patrol. They start getting angry at Humdinger, but Humdinger tells the crowd that these poor pups were made and abandoned by Ryder. No one believed him, but Ryder’s reaction arose suspicion in Skye.

The Pups were angry at Humdinger for speaking lies, while Skye rushed back to the Paw Patrol tower. She entered Ryder’s secret vault that she was able to find out the code for. What she saw stunned her.

When the pups got back they were still on about Humdinger and Ryder was trying not to look uncomfortable.

Skye walks in, tells them, it isn't a lie. The Pups are dumbfounded. ‘Tell them Ryder. Tell them about our replacements.’ And she tosses the plans of the Cyborg Pups to the other pups. The pups are confused. They think they are suits, but Skye tells them they aren’t she saw several already put together and in some sore of stasis. The Mission Paw equipment was just a warmup to this, she told them.

Alarmed, Ryder started to yell at Skye and accused her of being jealous and speaking lies. The other pups didn’t know what to think. Skye was banned from the tower and Ryder called her the b-word.

Skye left and wandered to try and find The Originals. She meets them and it takes a bit to trust her but they eventually do. Ryder’s attempts to isolate Skye from the others doesn’t work as the other pups seek out and find her and she introduces them to The Originals. The Originals tell them of the awful existence they had with Ryder. The Pups were in tears. They couldn’t believe it. The Pups agree that Ryder had to be stopped from doing this again and that they’d take Mayor Goodway with them, who was crashing in the polls, to stop Ryder. Of course, Ryder has a complete surveillance setup on his pups and knew exactly what they were up to and he was going to have his newest pups ready.

The Originals and Paw Patrol with Goodway were on their way to the Tower. Marshall rushed into the elevator first and yelled out ‘Hey look, I got in the elevator without tripping or falling, ha...’ and the elevator exploded. Pieces of Marshall were scattered everywhere and Marshall’s tag landed at the feet of Rocky. You could hear several children bawling their eyes out at this point in the theater. Those not crying were likely in shock.

A large door opens and Ryder comes out with his Cyborg Pups behind him. ‘That was meant for all of you,’ Ryder said.

Chase steps forward with The Originals and Paw Patrol behind him. He looks down at a charred remain of Marshall and looks back up and steps forward again with all the other pups behind him stepping forward as well, teeth exposed. ‘Looks like someone’s been a bad boy.’ Ryder sends the new Patrol cyborg pups to attack the Originals and the Paw Patrol. What happens next was incredibly graphic and I just don’t want to go too far into details. Violence was all over Adventure Bay. Limbs were graphically severed, Pups electrocuted, and Mayor Humdinger had his skull crushed by a few boulders Cyborg Rubble tried to fired at the two other Rubbles.

Ultimately the Originals generally sacrificed their lives to save the other pups, though original Skye and Zuma survived. Chase, Skye, and Rocky corner Ryder who couldn’t escape. They let the remaining originals take him. Ryder begged for forgiveness, said he’d never do this again. Original Zuma said ‘Sorry, but it is time to put you down.’ And woah! Did they ever!

I had never seen such pale skin on children when leaving the movie theater with my family.

Last edited:
Unhinged, 7/10; Stars Russel Crowe as the unhinged protagonist in this violent thriller. Tom Cooper (Crowe) has just killed his ex wife and her boyfriend and set the marital home (I think it's the marital home) on fire. Soon after he gets into a terse exchange with soon to be divorced Rachel Flynn in traffic. Cooper takes exception to Rachel's lack of an apology and proceeds to terrorize her, her family and associates. It's a pretty tense thriller with lots of violence and a mostly believable plot. Worth a watch.

Gumby 1 - No seriously, it says 1. Rifftrax riff'd this classic about Gumby trying to help save farmers by doing a concert and then becoming a bank himself. Without the riff, you can miss this one, but with the Riff, it was definitely worth it. 3.5 of 4 with riff

Modern Times
- Watched this with my 8 y.o. daughter. She thought it was pretty funny and had her interested the entire time. It is a classic. 4 of 4

She saw Bringing Up Baby as well. It was a little harder for her to keep in contact with that film. I think she likes Chaplin because it was all physical humor and it needed to continue. Marx Brothers toss in music breaks and I doubt she'd survive those. In general, they are pretty darn boring interludes. I have a few other Chaplin films on the DVR, so we'll try another one of them soon.

Anthropoid - Film about two Czech's who fly into Nazi occupied Czechoslovakia to try and kill Heydrich. Overall, this contains everything I demand of a war film. Limited imagined drama, limited falsehoods, and sticking with history in general. This film is intense, think of it as a crossover of a slow burn of The Man in High Castle with Band of Brothers. Acting is real good, the history is pretty accurate, with liberties taken to add imagined drama (but the liberties are small and acceptable). Not many English films about non-American WWII stories. I really recommend this one. 4 of 4

Sneakers - Older heist movie (one of my favorite genres) starring Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Aykroyd, etc. Redford is the head of a security consulting firm that tests security systems by robbing the organization that hires them. They are approached by "NSA agents" and bribed into stealing a new technology, basically a universal encryption cracker. Then they find out they weren't actually working for the NSA but organized crime and they have to steal the device back to avoid going to jail for a long, long time. The repartee between the cast is witty and entertaining. The thrills are mild and not over the top. 3.5/5

Free Guy meh/10
I'm not sure I can give an honest review. I will say watching the trailer will ruin the movie for you because it certainly did for me. Trying to imagine how I would view this movie without being spoiled I will say without the gimmick it is pretty derivative. Taika Waititi is only acting in this movie - he isn't directing and it shows. Basically the movie tries to straddle high minded ideas whilst being a perpetual meme machine and doesn't quite pull it off.

Free Guy meh/10
I'm not sure I can give an honest review. I will say watching the trailer will ruin the movie for you because it certainly did for me. Trying to imagine how I would view this movie without being spoiled I will say without the gimmick it is pretty derivative. Taika Waititi is only acting in this movie - he isn't directing and it shows. Basically the movie tries to straddle high minded ideas whilst being a perpetual meme machine and doesn't quite pull it off.

Does Ryan Reynolds need to use the time machine and shoot himself in the head again?

Free Guy meh/10

Does Ryan Reynolds need to use the time machine and shoot himself in the head again?

It's not terrible, just average. I didn't hate myself for wasting time on it like I did with Army of the Dead.

Back
Top Bottom