• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which way do I go

Maybe it’s the arcs representing flight paths that is giving the illusion that the planes aren’t flying straight. Maps don’t rotate. If the planes fly straight, they’re not flying toward their destination but instead where their destination is gonna be. A map would have to be virtual to capture that. A straight line to represent the plane not turning and a rotating map to capture earths spin.

The shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere is only a straight line if you are allowed to drill a tunnel.
Technically a couple channels and a tunnel.

Maybe it’s the arcs representing flight paths that is giving the illusion that the planes aren’t flying straight. Maps don’t rotate. If the planes fly straight, they’re not flying toward their destination but instead where their destination is gonna be. A map would have to be virtual to capture that. A straight line to represent the plane not turning and a rotating map to capture earths spin.

The shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere is only a straight line if you are allowed to drill a tunnel.

Technically just a tunnel. A line is a one dimensional object, and so has a cross-sectional diameter of zero. :D

Technically just a tunnel. A line is a one dimensional object, and so has a cross-sectional diameter of zero. :D

While I do agree that a line is a one dimensional object, I would submit (perhaps irrelevantly) that a line is not an object that is one dimensional.

Could you accept that?

Goalpost shifting. A tunnel has a diameter. ;)

Not if it's a line. Saves a fortune on construction costs too.

You're going to need to lose a lot of weight to travel that way...
What a bunch of lame geeks we are!
Yeah, like a 100%, but then there’s no mass for the traveling, but then again, such is the case with a line, unless you’ve been drinking and pulled over; all of a sudden there’s a line to walk. But then, that’s an equivocation, much like I pointed out with the objectless one dimensional one.

Back
Top Bottom