• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who is going to vote for Trump?

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Who is going to vote for Trump who didn't vote for him in 2016?

I am having a hard time seeing it. Formerly left-leaning career criminals? Ivanka's new friends?
Maybe some young aspiring mobsters? A former yoga instructor who has since gone into real estate development?

Everyone I know who still likes Trump, voted for him in 2016.
A few who liked him in 2016 though, no longer like him and say they won't vote for him again.
I don't know if that means they'll abstain, vote third party or vote Dem.

I believe that the intensity of Hillary Hatred will be hard to duplicate. From what I've read, most the millions of Americans who turned 18 since 2016 will vote against Trump.
If all else remained the same, those two factors alone would be enough to tip the scales.

Definitely asking in the wrong place. And, at least from the outside looking in, it's probably the wrong question to ask. The winner in every US Presidential election has been voter apathy. Not sure what, if anything, makes this one different.

The US economy is doing pretty well right now, although Covid-19 might change that. If it stays strong until November, it might get some more people to vote for Trump.

The US economy is doing pretty well right now, although Covid-19 might change that. If it stays strong until November, it might get some more people to vote for Trump.

Have you checked the stock market lately? If DJIA drops another 700 points today (as futures predict at the moment) it will be just a hair below its level in November 2018. Growth has slowed, job creation is below the level of Obama's last 3 years...
The only people who believe in this greatest economy of all time are billionaires and the true trumpsuckers who believe everything he says even if it contradicts their own eyes. Plus, he's a total dickhead, and even his most ardent supporters tacitly admit it.

traits.jpg

Have you checked the stock market lately? If DJIA drops another 700 points today (as futures predict at the moment) it will be just a hair below its level in November 2018. Growth has slowed, job creation is below the level of Obama's last 3 years...

Sorry, I think my info was a bit out of date. It appears the stock market was doing pretty well up until a couple of weeks ago. Bad news for Donald.

I occasionally drop in on another forum where his supporters praise his honesty (he tells it like it is) integrity (draining the swamp), selflessness (sacrificing the time he would be spending on his business to serve the country), and intelligence (outsmarting Kim Jong Un). However the people I'm talking about are absolute fringe nutjobs.

The only people who believe in this greatest economy of all time are billionaires and the true trumpsuckers who believe everything he says even if it contradicts their own eyes.
Yeah, if current trends continue with Covid-19 and the markets, FFvC will be properly fucked in November. We are only a couple weeks behind SK and Italy/EU. With nearly 30 million w/o insurance, and so many with shitty health insurance, I can't see how we will fair any better than those 2 places. CNN had a 2 hour special last night on Covid-19, and I found one question interesting, even though she didn't really ask the right question. She asked why we aren't testing like SK with things like drive thru checks now available. Since SK has already tested more than twice as many people as we are supposed to have kits available today, of course can't do it yet. We aren't/weren't prepared. Her question should have been as to why SK has so many more testing kits than the US.

The 70+ crowd, which would normally vote for Repugs in high numbers and high turnout, we be feeling a lot more nervous with deaths in the hundreds this November. There are now 3 cases in Florida. What will be these voters thinking when they are afraid to go play Bingo in the retirement park community center? Our hospitals will be much more crowded and the strain will show. This pandemic, and our flailing, will make the Shrub's Katrina response look down right excellent.

The only people who believe in this greatest economy of all time are billionaires and the true trumpsuckers who believe everything he says even if it contradicts their own eyes.
Yeah, if current trends continue with Covid-19 and the markets, FFvC will be properly fucked in November. We are only a couple weeks behind SK and Italy/EU. With nearly 30 million w/o insurance, and so many with shitty health insurance, I can't see how we will fair any better than those 2 places. CNN had a 2 hour special last night on Covid-19, and I found one question interesting, even though she didn't really ask the right question. She asked why we aren't testing like SK with things like drive thru checks now available. Since SK has already tested more than twice as many people as we are supposed to have kits available today, of course can't do it yet. We aren't/weren't prepared. Her question should have been as to why SK has so many more testing kits than the US.

The 70+ crowd, which would normally vote for Repugs in high numbers and high turnout, we be feeling a lot more nervous with deaths in the hundreds this November. There are now 3 cases in Florida. What will be these voters thinking when they are afraid to go play Bingo in the retirement park community center? Our hospitals will be much more crowded and the strain will show. This pandemic, and our flailing, will make the Shrub's Katrina response look down right excellent.

All that, exactly. And the lies ... these lies aren't just the usual harmless-but-provably-false statements, they're manifestly dangerous. And that will almost certainly put off a few people who give him a pass on relatively harmless falsehoods and hyperbolic braggery.

I occasionally drop in on another forum where his supporters praise his honesty (he tells it like it is) integrity (draining the swamp), selflessness (sacrificing the time he would be spending on his business to serve the country), and intelligence (outsmarting Kim Jong Un). However the people I'm talking about are absolute fringe nutjobs.

That's really interesting to me ... I guess they keep their praises fairly well hidden within their echo chambers. As pertains to the OP though, those would be people who voted for him in 2016, n'est ce pas?

IOW:
Well, he's always got the deplorables.

(ETA: 9:35 eastern, DJIA is at 25,387 ... when I dumped all my equities in 11/2018 it was at 25,554.)

All of my second cousin Klan members will turn out for him.

Right. I gots me some cuzzins lahk thet mahseff. But they all voted for Trump in 2016.
I don't sense the level of enthusiasm for a now-proven corrupt liar that seemed to prevail in 2016 when Cheato was "the political outsider, a proven successful businessman who will bring everyone much better health care at a fraction of the cost, lower taxes and brind back manufacturing jobs".
It would surprise me if he can even get the level of turnout he had in 2016, let alone add any significant new sectors of support.

Not to say he won't win the electoral college despite that; now that it's legal for Republicans to cheat in elections, all bets are off. I could see him losing the popular vote - not by the 3% he lost it by in 2016, but by 7-8% and STILL winning the electoral college by hook or crook.

1. Deplorables.
2. Evangelicals.
3. Ignorant moderates who believe the economy is doing well and he is responsible.
4. Selfish, super wealthy.
5. Brainwashed minions of Fox News and Friends who will think Biden is a threat to democracy, religion, rights, whites, the economy, and everything after the propaganda sets in.

1. Deplorables.
2. Evangelicals.
3. Ignorant moderates who believe the economy is doing well and he is responsible.
5. Brainwashed minions of Fox News and Friends who will think Biden is a threat to democracy, religion, rights, whites, the economy, and everything after the propaganda sets in.

Right.
Do any of the above groups have significant numbers of new members since 2016? Still not seeing it.

All of my second cousin Klan members will turn out for him.

Right. I gots me some cuzzins lahk thet mahseff. But they all voted for Trump in 2016.
I don't sense the level of enthusiasm for a now-proven corrupt liar that seemed to prevail in 2016 when Cheato was "the political outsider, a proven successful businessman who will bring everyone much better health care at a fraction of the cost, lower taxes and brind back manufacturing jobs".
It would surprise me if he can even get the level of turnout he had in 2016, let alone add any significant new sectors of support.

Not to say he won't win the electoral college despite that; now that it's legal for Republicans to cheat in elections, all bets are off. I could see him losing the popular vote - not by the 3% he lost it by in 2016, but by 7-8% and STILL winning the electoral college by hook or crook.
^Yup. Yeah, I have redneck/evangelical in-laws that are trying to laugh this off parroting the 'just a flu' crap. But this BS will crash n burn soon enough...

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...0-intl-hnk/h_3b277e0d06461442d0088accdcdd4a84
A moderate scenario might be a million hospitalizations — meaning 200,000 people would need to be in the intensive care unit, and 64,000 people would need breathing machines, said CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta.

The question: "We don't have all that. We have maybe just barely that. And many of those ventilators and breathing machines are currently being used. What are we going to do if that many people actually need care like that?" Gupta said.

The answer: "It's one area where the response has been laggard," responded Ron Klein, President Barack Obama's Ebola response coordinator.

"Getting our health care system ready for the influx of cases is something we should be doing now. We saw in China they built temporary hospitals. They really flexed up their capacity," he said.

Klein went on to make this crucial point:

"It's not just the people who get coronavirus are going to be affected by this. If hospital emergency rooms are overwhelmed, if doctors and nurses treating those people get sick and staffing drops at our hospitals, if we don't have enough beds, people with other illnesses won't be able to get into the hospital and get treatment. People with routine medical conditions won't be able to get treatment. The possible impact on our health care system is something we should be using this time, as cases ramp up, to get ready for."

Does anyone think that The Dotard is on top of this?

1. Deplorables.
2. Evangelicals.

Right.
Do any of the above groups have significant numbers of new members since 2016? Still not seeing it.

#3 is key. Maybe Trump will give everyone a check after taxes, like Bush did.

Definitely asking in the wrong place. And, at least from the outside looking in, it's probably the wrong question to ask. The winner in every US Presidential election has been voter apathy. Not sure what, if anything, makes this one different.

Trump makes it different... If anything, he sure has a knack for eliminating indifference.
It's like the old Howard Stern... I am thinking of the scene in Private Parts where the NBC program director can't believe the ratings he gets... so he asks the researcher why people listen to him... he responds, "number 1 answer given is: 'because I want to hear what he says next'". The program director then asks about the people that say they hate him. The researcher responds, "People who are negative towards Howard listen to him 1 hour longer than those that are positive towards him". The program director exclaims, "How can that be!!?!?", to which the researcher says, "Number 1 answer: because I want to hear what he says next".
One of the best scenes in the movie, imo.

I bet this woman was, before she got busted.

Fla. Woman Accused of Changing Voters’ Party Affiliation From Dem to GOP

A central Florida woman is accused of submitting false voter registration information that switched the party affiliations of voters without their knowledge, sheriff's investigators said.

Cheryl A. Hall, 63, who worked for an organization that helps register voters, turned herself in to Lake County Sheriff's officials Thursday, according to court records. She's charged with 10 felony counts of submission of false voter registration information.

A day earlier Lake County officials had announced that 119 false voter registration applications had been filed, news outlets reported.

Sheriff's investigators said all 119 false forms were assigned to Hall, a registered Republican, to collect. She worked for Florida First's office in Winter Haven. The agency said in an emailed statement that it is working closely with elections officials to “ensure every voter is properly registered to vote."

See my sig.

Klein said:
"It's not just the people who get coronavirus are going to be affected by this. If hospital emergency rooms are overwhelmed, if doctors and nurses treating those people get sick and staffing drops at our hospitals, if we don't have enough beds, people with other illnesses won't be able to get into the hospital and get treatment. People with routine medical conditions won't be able to get treatment. The possible impact on our health care system is something we should be using this time, as cases ramp up, to get ready for."

IOW they are already quite certain that virtually everyone in the US will be exposed, and they're only hoping to keep all the resulting urgent care cases from happening at once.
That's reasonable, but I have doubts about how effective the recommended behavioral measures will be, given what we know now about how the disease behaves. And more, about how people behave.
Wife went to WallyWorld today... for context, this is a county of about 15,000 and the county seat city was less than 7000 last time I checked. There is barely a place in the county where you can be more than a few blocks from wilderness. Anyhow, there was a guy checking out with two large shopping carts and an 8' floor dolly, all piled high with nothing but water and toilet paper. Makes you wonder...
People are idiots, and most of us probably deserve to die. :) :) :)

Elixir said:
Who is going to vote for Trump who didn't vote for him in 2016?
Among others (they may overlap):

1. Some conservative Christians who didn't vote in 2016 because they did not believe someone as corrupt as Trump would keep his word enough to deliver what they wanted and/or did not believe there was any significant chance of overturning Roe v. Wade (or chipping at it sufficiently), but now recognize that Trump went above and beyond his campaign promises when it comes to judicial appointments, and see a realistic opportunity to have effective bans on abortion in several states at least.
2. Some people who didn't vote in 2016, but are today more worried about the rise of the Woke ideology than they are of the devil they know.
3. Some people who were too young to vote in 2016 but aren't now and like Trump enough to register and vote.

Of course, there are people who didn't vote for Clinton but will vote for Biden as well, and also voters of each party in 2016 who will not vote in 2020, etc.; I'm just giving part of the answer to the question.

Back
Top Bottom