• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who is your favorite anti-villain?

Not at all. That is HIS personal philosophy. His group doesn't follow his personal philosophy, his group is there because of other personal loyalties and goals. He's not a cult figure.

He kinda is, and most of the X-Men are quite dedicated to his vision of peaceful coexistence.

Peaceful coexistence is one thing, peaceful coexistence arrived at by non-violent means is another.

A story's protagonist isn't necessarily the hero, just the main character of the story. Likewise the antagonist isn't necessarily a villain.

I stand corrected, but what then is the difference, and why is Deadpool an anti-villain rather than an anti-hero?

Deadpool was originally cast as a villain, hired by Tolliver to go after Cable (Tolliver's father) and the New Mutants. He was the villain in several other series before he got his own book and morphed from an anti-villain into a more of an anti-hero. I disagree with JayJay though, an anti-villain should be an antagonist, and an anti-hero a protagonist. Then again, it is not uncommon these days (and since the '80s at least) for villains to have their own titles. Thanos, Carnage, Harley Quinn, Loki, and many others come to mind. I think Deadpool can be viewed either way.

He kinda is, and most of the X-Men are quite dedicated to his vision of peaceful coexistence.

Peaceful coexistence is one thing, peaceful coexistence arrived at by non-violent means is another.

Yes, and the fact that none of the X-Men use Gandhi's/King's nonviolent resistance tactics despite the fact that Xavier is set up as an obvious metaphor for King is ironic, which was my original point.

Yes, and the fact that none of the X-Men use Gandhi's/King's nonviolent resistance tactics despite the fact that Xavier is set up as an obvious metaphor for King is ironic, which was my original point.

Well, that would make for a fairly boring comic.

"Oh no! Apocolypse is destroying the city! Wolverine, quck - give him a flower!"

He was intended as a metaphor for King, instead of simply being the archetypal good, even headed, caring leader who considers the feelings of everyone involved, and uses gentle pressure to lead in the "right" direction?

Someone can select leadership qualities from many many past examples, mixing Churchill, King, Gandhi, Lincoln (that damn peacenik), Stalin (why'd he say him?), Khan (does he mean Genghis or the one from the Eugenics wars of the 1990s???), etc.

"Oh no! Apocolypse is destroying the city! Wolverine, quck - give him a flower!"

I've determined that the above statement was said by a duck. Perhaps the greatest anti-villain in the history of anti-villains.

He was intended as a metaphor for King, instead of simply being the archetypal good, even headed, caring leader who considers the feelings of everyone involved, and uses gentle pressure to lead in the "right" direction?

Someone can select leadership qualities from many many past examples, mixing Churchill, King, Gandhi, Lincoln (that damn peacenik), Stalin (why'd he say him?), Khan (does he mean Genghis or the one from the Eugenics wars of the 1990s???), etc.

Yes, but the fact that he is a metaphor for King when it is obvious that the writers of the X-Men don't have the foggiest clue about how nonviolent resistance works as a political movement is an inherent irony.

Well, maybe that's your take on it, it wasn't mine.

Unless Xavier is holding a bible and using the word God a lot in his speeches about peaceful nonviolent tactics, I don't see the similarities.

Keep in mind, I've only seen the Batman cartoon so my knowledge of the comics is inadequate, but I liked Two-Face (the movie version made me cry) and from X-Men (again the cartoon), Magneto.

The term anti-villain seems to have been invented by tvtropes, and tvtropes says that The Adjustment Bureau are anti-villains, so they're my pick. If free will exists, then it is wasted on humankind, and the Bureau AFAICT are pretty much entirely justified in secretly manipulating humanity.

From comic books, my favorite anti-villain(again, as categorized by tvtropes) is Ra's Al Ghul. Not the Liam Neeson version with his vague ideology; the comic book version, the centuries-old ecoterrorist working towards a 95% reduction in human population. I love ecoterrorists who are actually willing to kill human beings. Anything less is just delusional. You don't fight cancer with nonviolent resistance.

Datak Tarr

Datak seems more like a villain-villain to me. And I like Stahma more. But my favorite TV anti-villain is probably Scorpius.

Yes, but the fact that he is a metaphor for King when it is obvious that the writers of the X-Men don't have the foggiest clue about how nonviolent resistance works as a political movement is an inherent irony.
Maybe X is someone who wants to be like King, yet is in situations in which he cannot be like King. Although I've seen him attack with glee... in already bad situations, in which attacking was probably the only option due to the nature of the opponents.

The term anti-villain seems to have been invented by tvtropes, and tvtropes says that The Adjustment Bureau are anti-villains, so they're my pick. If free will exists, then it is wasted on humankind, and the Bureau AFAICT are pretty much entirely justified in secretly manipulating humanity.
Awesome to be reminded of that. Dick's ideas are pretty cool. And his name is cool too. hahaha.....

From comic books, my favorite anti-villain(again, as categorized by tvtropes) is Ra's Al Ghul. Not the Liam Neeson version with his vague ideology; the comic book version, the centuries-old ecoterrorist working towards a 95% reduction in human population. I love ecoterrorists who are actually willing to kill human beings. Anything less is just delusional. You don't fight cancer with nonviolent resistance.

Datak Tarr

Datak seems more like a villain-villain to me. And I like Stahma more. But my favorite TV anti-villain is probably Scorpius.

From TV Tropes?

I just figured that if there are anti-heroes, there has to be anti-villains, and L is so deliciously creepy despite being on the side of good.

My favorite anti-villain? Not sure about my favorite, but a great one is...

Roy Batty

(Set against the anti-hero, Rick Deckard. ("Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent. I thought you were supposed to be good. Aren't you the "good" man? C'mon, Deckard. Show me what you're made of.") )

Back
Top Bottom