• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who was your favorite comedian and comedic actor?

just_me

I am here!
Basic Beliefs
Understanding
Comedic Actor

Peter sellers - Pink Pather Strikes again

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDSM7AKfVJg[/YOUTUBE]

My pick for comedian George Carlin

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc[/YOUTUBE]

Comedians who have past out of consciousness.

Lenny Bruce, Mort Saul, Dick Gregory, Red Fox. Johnny Carson.

It is impossible to have one favorite actor, actress. Richard Burton portrayed many emotions and faces. Taken across all his movies Clint Eastward was very good.

Don't make me choose.

Billy Connelly, Robin Williams, Richard Pryor, Eddie Izzard, Steve Hughes, Ivan Aristegueta.

I try to like Russell, but he looks so skeevy -- he's one celeb that makes me wonder if he's using deodorant. I do love his face-offs with Jonah Hill in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, tho -- especially in the outtakes. In a certain kind of low-class character, he runs the field.

stand-up, louis CK and doug stanhope are my spirit animals. others with notable impact are george carlin, denis leary, patton oswalt, and brian regan.
but i'm also a huge stand-up buff so i could have this list be substantially longer.

actors, meh. i've never found a particular actor to be consistent, it's always just the material. those i can think of that did a reasonably decent job of picking good projects were really more "humorous" than funny, for example john candy.

Ditto on Louis CK (just don't google him -- goddammit), and Patton. Also big doses of Jim Norton (who does super smut but also hits on politics and general piggish behavior.)

You know who was really good? Richard Jeni. His biggest movie was The Mask, but I got a chance to see his stand up a few years before he passed away. At the time, I was taking a comedy class and had done a few gigs at the Improv. Going in there after being on stage and learning the ins and outs of stand up was a revelation. I could see the structure of his show, see where he placed the tags and callbacks, and pick out where he was trying new stuff to see how it worked. He was so good.

Kevin Pollak is also one of those guys who straddles the line between actor and comic very well.

Eddie Izzard, Richard Jeni, Dennis Wolfberg. While I love Jeni and Wolfberg, I think Izzard stands among a few narrow pedestal of comic genius, with the likes of Carlin and Williams (Williams is who helped get him stateside). Never saw Jeni, but managed to see Wolfberg before he died from cancer. Saw Izzard a few years ago and will see him again next month. He is just incredibly intelligent and can make anything from dressage to Venn diagrams hilarious.

Major props to Rita Rudner as well. Never saw her (is she still out there?), but incredible comedian. Steven Wright is great as well, saw him a long time ago.

For stand up I like Bill Burr and Jim Jefferies. Jim Jefferies' bit on when he was hired by Mariah Carey for her then boyfriend James Packer's birthday party was hilarious.

Jennifer Aniston is quite funny in the few movies I've seen her in, "We're The Millers" was very good. Ben Stiller is funny as is John Cleese who is hilarious as the hapless Basil Fawlty but also in "A Fish Called Wanda" and of course the Monty Python movies.

I think Izzard stands among a few narrow pedestal of comic

The difference with Izzard is (IMO) he's more than just a comic. It's a very subtle distinction, but he doesn't do an hour of stand-up. He does a one man show.

If you watch Seinfeld's "Comedian" documentary, you get to see how Jerry starts from scratch and builds an hour long set. But at the end of the process what he's got is a collection of jokes that lasts an hour. Izzard occasionally references his stuff as "scenes," and that's telling, because what he's doing is not so much a collection of jokes as writing scenes in a play. He approaches it from a completely different perspective than most comics, and that's where his genius lies.

That is a good observation. A bit cock eyed version of Bob Newhart.

His comedy does adapt over time. The show I saw, his delivery was different (and improved) from what I could find from clips on YouTube.

The genius that I referred to though, is his intelligence and ability to make anything funny.

For stand up I like Bill Burr and Jim Jefferies. Jim Jefferies' bit on when he was hired by Mariah Carey for her then boyfriend James Packer's birthday party was hilarious.

Jennifer Aniston is quite funny in the few movies I've seen her in, "We're The Millers" was very good. Ben Stiller is funny as is John Cleese who is hilarious as the hapless Basil Fawlty but also in "A Fish Called Wanda" and of course the Monty Python movies.
Wait, Ben Stiller.. funny? His schitck wore off in his Fox tv show.

Wait, Ben Stiller.. funny? His schitck wore off in his Fox tv show.

I never knew Stiller had a TV show. True, his shtick is pretty worn and probably doesn't work so well after you have seen it a few times but that goes for almost all comics/actors. Never the less, I think his performances in "There's Something About Mary", the "Meet the Parents" movies, etc and the more recent "Extras" is still funny.

Back
Top Bottom