• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are white people lower case, and Black people upper case?

No: it's evidence that those with a certain ideological bent feel no issue with using a diminuitive form for 'white' while capitalising 'black'.
have you ever tried to read Shahrazad Ali's The Blackman's Guide to the Blackwoman?

The whiteman need not spend much time on it...

My wife was amused to find that she's a failure for not attracting her God-given leader, the Blackman. And further, laughed at the idea that I need to slap her around if she's disrespectful.

Sorry, that should be My Blackwife amused... Blackshe's a failure... i need to backslap blackher around...

I would say it is a matter of numerical and cultural norms. For a long time there were mostly white people in my society, and white people are still the biggest racial group (if you want to call them that). That makes whiteness the norm. You stand out if you are the only black guy amongst a bunch of white guys, just as you would if you were the only white guy amongst a bunch of balck guys, especially if you were in place and time where blackness was the norm.

So "Black" becomes an primary indentifier here, and white does not. So we capitalize Black and not white. It makes sense. It is why we hear about the Black Community or Black Culture, and not White Community or White Culture.

The only time I really hear about "White people" is when somebody is talking about how racist "they" are.

I continue to groan under the terrible burden. First Affirmative Action, and now this! When will the torment end?

Jesus Fucking Christ, does the goddamn Ku Klux Klan have the equivalent of a #GamerGate movement that's targeted this forum?

Why are all the fucking Racists crawling out of the fucking woodwork?

Which is racist? Having both the W in white and the B in black have equal treatment, or mentioning that there might not be equal treatment?

Overreacting to insignificant slights like this in the wake of horrific murders and blatant discrimination is indeed suspect.

Jesus Fucking Christ, does the goddamn Ku Klux Klan have the equivalent of a #GamerGate movement that's targeted this forum?

Why are all the fucking Racists crawling out of the fucking woodwork?

Which is racist? Having both the W in white and the B in black have equal treatment, or mentioning that there might not be equal treatment?

The latter, because of the ridiculous implication that the unequal treatment in capitalization is in some way proportionate to the systemic mistreatment of Blacks in the USA.

For the record, I pretty consistently capitalize both.

No: it's evidence that those with a certain ideological bent feel no issue with using a diminuitive form for 'white' while capitalising 'black'.

It's evidence that you have no sense of proportion.

Oy vey. How do you have any concept of my 'sense of proportion'? Or is every post you make about the worst phenomenon in the universe, and posting about anything else means you've no sense of 'proportion'?

No: I reject your reasoning and your judgment. You can make a post about the minimum wage in America and not even mention human trafficking and forced labour in other countries, and you can still have a 'sense of proportion'.

- - - Updated - - -

The latter, because of the ridiculous implication that the unequal treatment in capitalization is in some way proportionate to the systemic mistreatment of Blacks in the USA.

For the record, I pretty consistently capitalize both.

Who claimed or implied it was 'proportionate'?

A similar discussion occurs about "disabled people" or people with disabilities"

France labels its disability car parking spaces "espace spastique".

These are labels as are black Black white and White.

Should gimp be capitalised?

Back
Top Bottom