• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why did Jehovah create Satan?

Why does Sherlock Homes have Dr Moriarityty?
Why does Superman have Lex Luthor?

Christian/Jewish scripture is a tangle of fictional myths and oral traditions sprinkled with real historical events, especially the gospels.

Like all dictators and autocrats god has a figure to scare people. And like all dictators and autocrats presents himself as the protector.

Trump vs immigrants.
Hitler vs Jews.

You can here extreme fear mongering from radio and TV evangelists. Of course the preacher will lead you to safety from evil Statn, just kick in a contribution.

Why does steve_bank have Learner (and other forum theists)? ;)

Christians are not my enemy in general;. You are not my enemy.

Some atheists consider theists enemies and not without cause, and certainly Christians demonize atheists. You an here it on FOX, even from a Jew who has a FOX show. Us atheists are out to get them.

I believe that for most atheists if Christians kept their faith to themselves an not try to force fair on others especially through government would care less about what theists do or say.

We are forced to respond to defend our right to be free from religion.

I expect opposing atheists on the forum makes you feel good, does it not?

Christians are not my enemy in general;. You are not my enemy.

I thought as much.
Some atheists consider theists enemies and not without cause, and certainly Christians demonize atheists. You an here it on FOX, even from a Jew who has a FOX show. Us atheists are out to get them.

You get all sorts, from all sides.

I believe that for most atheists if Christians kept their faith to themselves an not try to force fair on others especially through government would care less about what theists do or say.

We are forced to respond to defend our right to be free from religion.

Forcing on someone their religion is not biblical imo, but like politics or religion with hidden politcal/personal agendas, then these things happen.

I expect opposing atheists on the forum makes you feel good, does it not?

Feeling good, as in, I feel absolutely fine (I like) to engage with ANY conversation, even without opposing atheists in debates.

And you? I expect there is a mutual feeling on the forum.

Why does Sherlock Homes have Dr Moriarityty?
Why does Superman have Lex Luthor?

Christian/Jewish scripture is a tangle of fictional myths and oral traditions sprinkled with real historical events, especially the gospels.

Like all dictators and autocrats god has a figure to scare people. And like all dictators and autocrats presents himself as the protector.

Trump vs immigrants.
Hitler vs Jews.

You can here extreme fear mongering from radio and TV evangelists. Of course the preacher will lead you to safety from evil Statn, just kick in a contribution.

The thing is that Satan isn't original to Christianity. It's a later addition. It came with Manichaeism and possibly Marcionism. It only made it's way into Western Christianity after the crusades. Before that Satan was a metaphor for your inner demons. Early Christianity was a mess of conflicting beliefs and practices.

As far as having a evil monster to scare children with early Christians had Nero. The number of the Beast, the whore of Babylon etc, these are all references to Nero. It was the pagan Roman emperors that were the Christian boogey man. When the Roman empire became Christian, that's when they needed to invent a "new" Satan. Because the Emperor wasn't out to get them anymore.

It's also interesting how Christianity became dumber over time. Paganism was highly metaphorical. Pagan theology could seamlessly blend the concrete and metaphorical. They had the intellectual freedom to think in these terms. Early Christianity was a form of paganism and was equally sophisticated. It only became simplistic, stupid and sometimes literal much later.

It's also interesting how Christianity became dumber over time. Paganism was highly metaphorical. Pagan theology could seamlessly blend the concrete and metaphorical. They had the intellectual freedom to think in these terms. Early Christianity was a form of paganism and was equally sophisticated. It only became simplistic, stupid and sometimes literal much later.
Happens, when a religion becomes an official instrument of State. To a politician, ambiguity and open exploration of ideas are threats.

Back
Top Bottom