• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do Non-Christians vastly outnumber Christians?

... it takes vast numbers of religious groups jumbled together to overcome Christianity's numbers....

They're 31%. Next highest is 24% and third and fourth highest are 15%.

So, #2 + #3 > #1
Also, #2 + #4 > #1

Ergo, two categories (or numbers) of religious groups together overcome Christianity's numbers.

Please explain how the number 2 qualifies as vast.

US, I think if you'd transposed the word to a different part of the sentence it might be okay. Did you typo? At present, it seems more like intended hyperbole than a semantic mishap.

Whatever else we might think of Christianity, it is the undisputed champ of influencing large numbers of people.

I'm confident that is because they are so viciously oppressive and violent, and have been for centuries.

I'm pretty sure that if Euro-Christians hadn't weaponized gun powder so early on Christianity would be smaller than Hinduism and Islam would be the biggest influence.
Tom

Whatever else we might think of Christianity, it is the undisputed champ of influencing large numbers of people.

I'm confident that is because they are so viciously oppressive and violent, and have been for centuries.

It seems like the premise is wrong, though. #2 on the list is Islam and it's a younger religion and grew slightly faster...perhaps a lot faster if we model it exponentially. Ultimately, this might be a factor in why our country is meddling in the Middle East which goes to your point about violence and oppression...I mean, the tremendous growth of these religions hits a brick wall when they spread to a fortified border where the institutions are owned by the other religion. Keeping one religion (Islam) fighting among themselves (and against the Jews being well-supplied by the Christians) enables Christians to keep the #1 rank but the growth of the #2 can't be handled without keeping their populations down.

Have you been treated viciously and oppressively by Christians? If yes, would you say other groups are less vicious and oppressive?
I'm pretty sure that if Euro-Christians hadn't weaponized gun powder so early on Christianity would be smaller than Hinduism and Islam would be the biggest influence.
Tom
Hmmm. So the weaponization of gun powder turned Christianity into a world power. I think Christianity was a world power long before that.

Hmmm. So the weaponization of gun powder turned Christianity into a world power. I think Christianity was a world power long before that.
That depends on what you mean by "world power". Certainly Christianity was largely contained within Europe before the weaponisation of gunpowder, and despite several attempts to invade and subdue their Islamic neighbours, they generally came off second best - to the point where the far more civilised Islamic powers controlled most of the Iberian peninsula, and were able to repeatedly drive the Christians out of the Middle East.

It really did require a revolution in military technology, and technology in general, before the tables were turned.

Bizarrely, this was due to the Muslims (correctly) anticipating that scientific study of reality would move people further from religious belief, and as a consequence inhibiting its pursuit to the detriment of their military capabilities; While the Christians (incorrectly) anticipated that scientific study of reality would provide further evidence that Christianity was correct in its tenets, and so they encouraged the R&D that led both to military success, and to increasing secularisation.

So now the so-called "Christian" world is Christian in name only - most citizens of Western Europe are "cultural christians" who might go to church for weddings and funerals, but who otherwise give no thought whatsoever to religious belief. They typically still tick the 'Christian' box on censuses and surveys, but certainly none of the participants in the Early Modern religious wars would consider these modern descendants to be Christians.

Today we see an Islamic world that has the passion and the faith, but not the technology to take over the world; And a Christian world that has the technology, but not the passion or the faith to bother to use it to attempt to crush their religious opponents. Iran is a theocracy, and wants to eliminate America for religious reasons, but hasn't got the weapons or delivery systems to do so; America (and Russia, and China, and France, and the UK) have both the weapons and the delivery systems to eliminate any nation on Earth, but these countries are largely secular, and so have no desire to do so (or at least, no desire to do so to any nation without the military strength to deter them from doing so), so far.

I am pretty sure that if you think Christianity was a world power before the weaponisation of gunpowder, then you are (yet again) thinking something that is simply untrue, but that you believe because it supports your prejudices, and so you have never bothered to question it.

Given your evident lack of knowledge of history, I am astonished that you expect anyone else to care one whit what you think.

Tom

It was development of advanced sailing ships that made Christian nations world powers. Ability to sail to the Americas for example, or the Far East. The Battle of Lepanto put an end to Islamic sea power. The destruction of Algeria's navy by the French was the nail in that coffin.

Have you been treated viciously and oppressively by Christians?
I'm a gay male in my 60s.
I'm also in my 60s (61 to be exact), but the closest I get to being gay is to see my hero Patrick Mahomes in his tight football pants running the ball for a first down.
Can you do enough truth seeking to figure out what that means?

Tom
I'm well aware of the homophobia in the Christian community. At CARM I'm currently debating a Christian who is anti-gay.

I'm also in my 60s (61 to be exact), but the closest I get to being gay is to see my hero Patrick Mahomes in his tight football pants running the ball for a first down.

Why are you obsessed with looking at his tight football pants? Hmmm...it sounds like the only reason you reject the idea that you are even a little bit gay is because you are in a cult.

Can you do enough truth seeking to figure out what that means?

Tom
I'm well aware of the homophobia in the Christian community. At CARM I'm currently debating a Christian who is anti-gay.

So, you do understand why your question is so ignorant?

Personally, I was fortunate. My family was remarkably supportive for a bunch of conservative Catholics. It started with my mom. "I don't understand or approve of the gay thing. But that's my son. Mess with him and you're messing with me!"

I've also been part of many support groups. I can't tell you how many horror stories started with, "Well, my parents are very Christian..."
Tom

Why are you obsessed with looking at his tight football pants? Hmmm...it sounds like the only reason you reject the idea that you are even a little bit gay is because you are in a cult.
Oh come now--don't you get just a bit excited seeing Mahomes scampering around the ol' gridiron?

Oh come now--don't you get just a bit excited seeing Mahomes scampering around the ol' gridiron?

I don't pay attention much to sports but I just googled what religion this character is and I see he is a Christian. So, now I see why you like him. You are very strongly biased toward Christians which is very odd for a truth seeker since Christianity makes no sense.

I don't pay attention much to sports but I just googled what religion this character is and I see he is a Christian. So, now I see why you like him. You are very strongly biased toward Christians which is very odd for a truth seeker since Christianity makes no sense.
What pocket of air did you pull this out of? Just for the record, I think that most Christians are foolish to believe most of what they're told to believe. That's the same reason I'd be foolish to believe everything I'm told on this board.

At this point it appears obvious Soldier's views of atheism and Christianity is just echoing what he hears on a Christian site. That explains why he can not actually elaborate and defend his thseis, he just repeats what he heard.

What pocket of air did you pull this out of?

Observation.

Back
Top Bottom