• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why does IQ cluster around 100 points?

Clustering of IQ measurements probably has a lot to do with inability to accurately evaluate the extremes. On the left of the curve, zero is not attainable short of death or a congenitally comatose individual. At the other end, are there even ways to measure an IQ in excess of say, 250

IQ is supposed to be normally distributed with a mean IQ of 100. Since scores less than zero are impossible, scores greater than 200 should also be impossible. Based on that, scores over 200 should indicate that the testing instrument isn't giving accurate scores.

? That would make sense. But even as a 10 year old I remember conjectures about dead guys' IQs that ranged above 200. They had Goethe at 210. And googlespeak has this even this day. I assume that "recorded" means they actually tested, which I would doubt about Goethe:

The highest IQ score ever recorded

Ainan Celeste Cawley (IQ score: 263)
William James Sidis (IQ score: 250-300)
Terence Tao (IQ score: 225-230)
Marilyn Vos Savant (IQ score: 228)
Christopher Hirata (IQ score: 225)
Kim Ung-Yong (IQ score: 210)
Edith Stern (IQ score: 200+)
Christopher Michael Langan (IQ score: 190 – 210)

I suspect some random genetic combination that first of all gives early cognitive abilities, they show up early so the person is ahead of others already. And also a superior memory and recall system is necessary. And this needs to show up early too.

Also exposure to different kinds of problem solving at an early age is necessary.

Cawley had a university level chemistry education by age 7.

But these high IQ scores don't necessarily translate into success in life because so much of that is dependent on social intelligence. The great successes in life are those rare individuals that have both high IQ scores and high social intelligence. Unless they are born to somebody very rich and start their life on third base.

High IQ scores do allow many people to teach or do research or go to professional schools. So they usually can give a comfortable and challenging life.

Most shifts at work, as I undertake to do as much damage control as possible in a limited time, I could only wish that I.Q. averaged 100.

Just saying...and I surely don't claim to be a rocket scientist.

Oh, my bleeding eyes. How is some of this even possible in a country that offers free education through grade 12?

Most shifts at work, as I undertake to do as much damage control as possible in a limited time, I could only wish that I.Q. averaged 100.

Just saying...and I surely don't claim to be a rocket scientist.
Think how smart the average person is and then realize half of the people are dumber.
Oh, my bleeding eyes. How is some of this even possible in a country that offers free education through grade 12?

Education has little effect on IQ. A small improvement is noted in those subjected to public education. They have learned that doing well on tests is a Good Thing and try their best. However, this improvement disappears by age 19.

IQ DOESN'T cluster around 100. The average was SET to 100 for age 10-13 children in France in 1904. All IQ tests have been "normalized" since then. If someone had a 100 on one IQ test they should get 100 on any new one.

There is a clustering around 100 for women (lower standard deviation) when compared to the male population. There is no generally accepted theory as to why this should be. It is just a fact. There are more women with 100 IQ than men with 100 IQ but both have a 100 average.

Education has little effect on IQ.

Unbelievable.

Education and when you are ready for it has everything to do with IQ.

IQ tests are just a measurement of short term memory capacity when education is equal.

But education begins in the womb, not in first grade.

Unbelievable.

IQ tests are just a measurement of short term memory capacity when education is equal.

Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it not so. Education develops one's intelligence, it doesn't create it.

Unbelievable.

Oh ye of blank slate creationism.

DxDO80lVYAA6tOA.jpg

Spearman’s g found in 31 non-Western nations: Strong evidence that g is a universal phenomenon.

How does this slim speculation and subversion of normal science that does not try to pigeon hole findings into preconceived notions have any connection to what I said?

Unbelievable.

Although on a slightly different topic, the graph at 7:35 shows IQ distributions of males and females as I mentioned above.
[YOUTUBE]UepYa1orqJ0[/YOUTUBE]

Unbelievable.

Oh ye of blank slate creationism.

You don't need different genes to get different results.

Just a different environment in the womb and different experiences out of it.

This alone will create variation.

Genes create capacities. Experiences create an intelligence.

The genes that create a high IQ score allow the person to acquire knowledge early. They develop cognitive capacities early. Not necessarily but many times also early communicative abilities. So genes that control the timing of expression.

And also genes that create a superior memory capacity. Out on the tail of the bell curve.

You also need exposure to information beginning at an early age.

So genes that control the timing of the expression of cognitive capacities and memory capacity and experience.

That is all that is involved in creating a person with a high IQ score.

It might as well be called a memory test because we all develop the same cognitive capacities, only some get them early and some get them later, so by the time we are taking IQ tests some people are very good at them and some people are average.

There is no other magic involved.

No magic "intelligence" genes.

There is human intelligence and a memory capacity.

Some develop the intelligence early and some later. Some have better memories than others.

If there is a genetic component to high IQ scores this is all it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom