• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why Footbinding Persisted in China for a Millennium

Very like FGM.

If you believe you can't marry if unmutilated, and if marriage is your only path to any sort of life ...

Where's your alternative?

It marked a woman as being from a noble family rather than being of lower-ranked birth. The idea was that if you could only hobble around, you could not do manual labour which by implication meant you were of genteel birth and fit for marriage to some important lord. Those who did not have these things done were thought of as having big ugly feet like peasants. Therefore, if you wanted your daughter to marry up, bind her feet.

It's no different in principle than when the ideal beauty was so pale, blue veins showed through her skin. A swarthy peasant women had skin like an old catcher's mitt by the time she was fourteen. Things change and when the working class moved into dark factories and grew pale, nothing said class, like a good suntan.

The foot binding is a bizarre practice, along the lines of female genital mutilation. It is inflicted on young girls before they are old enough to understand the reasoning. There are many apocryphal stories of how the practice began. Maybe it was just a desire for smaller feet, but my favorite origin myth concerns a Chinese Emperor who combined a foot fetish and a desire for anal penetration.

It Maybe it was just a desire for smaller feet, but my favorite origin myth concerns a Chinese Emperor who combined a foot fetish and a desire for anal penetration.

That is interesting. I heard another "old wives tale" from a Taiwanese classmate back in college: According to her, foot binding had the effect of turning a walk into a Kegel exercise, thus tightening the women's pelvic muscles.

Back
Top Bottom