• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why gun control isn't the answer

I read the article but saw no "answer", simplistic or otherwise. The article was a complaint that, once educated on the practical aspects of gun handling, the existing laws do not appear to address the statistically significant portion of those affected by gun violence... example: 2/3 gun deaths are suicides. no gun laws are going to stop someone from killing themselves, with a gun or otherwise... Another complaint is that reduction of maximum magazine size has no effect on the number of bullets fired, as having multiple magazines and possessing "tactical reloading skills", render such limits meaningless. This is pretty much true... but as an experienced Marksman myself, I can tell you that if you don't train and practice tactical loading techniques, you are not going to be able to do it... and more likely you will jam your gun with a rushed reload than not, in my experience.

I think the point of the article, and a good point IMO, is that those that make laws seem to have no practical knowledge of that which they are attempting to regulate, and results in meaningless regulations. for that, I can agree. Same applies to anything Technological or Scientific in general.. the speed of law is such that they are about in the late 90's as far as the law's understanding of computer technology... and courts still allow some debunked forensic 'science'.. as one defense attorney once said, ".. you have two scientifically illiterate lawyers arguing the merits of a technological-heavy case to 12 scientifically illiterate jurors, and decided by a scientifically illiterate judge"... I think it is THAT that is at the core of our gun-law issues. Ignorance.

It seems the only way to keep the guns out of the hands of mass shooters is more scrutiny and making it more difficult for unhinged people to get a gun. In Paddock's case, it seems he had been collecting guns for a number of years but had recently been active in procuring guns. Was there anything unusual in Paddock's behavior that should have alerted the ATF/FBI or whatever that something was going on ? The gun control laws do seem particularly impotent in stopping the likes of Paddock.

3D printers.

Yes, 3D printers.

Of course, when the first 3D printed gun was made, it wasn't a very high quality firearm, which proved there will never be any high quality 3D printers. Just like Gutenberg's printing press is not an ancestor of the internet. And the very first film movie camera is not in any way connected to a DVD.

Gun Control is actually a lost cause.

It seems the only way to keep the guns out of the hands of mass shooters is more scrutiny and making it more difficult for unhinged people to get a gun.
i think this is totally incorrect, and ultimately is the reason why gun regulation or control of any kind is a futile effort in the US, and while he didn't mean to bill o'rielly hit the nail perfectly on the head when he said "a mass shooting now and then is the price we pay for freedom."

the only way to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters is to stop having guns, or at least for guns to become incredibly scarce.
it worked quite well for australia, BUT that's a giant island in the middle of nowhere with a low population density that had the cultural zeitgeist to do it.
that would never work in america, not only due to the culture here but due to smuggling - even if you just up and banned guns we'd just get a shitload of them coming in from mexico, so it wouldn't make any practical difference.

so, the reality is, mass shootings is the price we pay for our gun obsessed culture and refusal to limit manufacturing or access to firearms.
this always has been and always will be a function of our society, and when it happens conversation is pointless because nothing practical will ever be done (or in fact could be done), so it's best to just accept this and move on with your life, much like how people just accept traffic accident deaths as part of the general background noise of a functioning civilization.

side note: this is one of those things that really pisses me off about US politics: that the caricature that republicans present about liberals actually paints a picture of a more effective progressive than the democrats embody.
that is no "take your guns away" faction of any political group in the US, and yet that's the only option that would have any chance at a long term impact on the incidence of mass shootings.

Gun Control is actually a lost cause.
That sure the hell is true. 20 dead children... nothing. 58 dead white country music fans... maybe add a piece of paperwork for bump stocks... otherwise nothing.

America loves guns and will demand to keep having them and those killed in these horrific massacres are just the price America pays so that people can haves guns at nearly a practically unrestricted level.

It seems the only way to keep the guns out of the hands of mass shooters is more scrutiny and making it more difficult for unhinged people to get a gun.
i think this is totally incorrect, and ultimately is the reason why gun regulation or control of any kind is a futile effort in the US, and while he didn't mean to bill o'rielly hit the nail perfectly on the head when he said "a mass shooting now and then is the price we pay for freedom."

the only way to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters is to stop having guns, or at least for guns to become incredibly scarce.
it worked quite well for australia, BUT that's a giant island in the middle of nowhere with a low population density that had the cultural zeitgeist to do it.
that would never work in america, not only due to the culture here but due to smuggling - even if you just up and banned guns we'd just get a shitload of them coming in from mexico, so it wouldn't make any practical difference.

so, the reality is, mass shootings is the price we pay for our gun obsessed culture and refusal to limit manufacturing or access to firearms.
this always has been and always will be a function of our society, and when it happens conversation is pointless because nothing practical will ever be done (or in fact could be done), so it's best to just accept this and move on with your life, much like how people just accept traffic accident deaths as part of the general background noise of a functioning civilization.

side note: this is one of those things that really pisses me off about US politics: that the caricature that republicans present about liberals actually paints a picture of a more effective progressive than the democrats embody.
that is no "take your guns away" faction of any political group in the US, and yet that's the only option that would have any chance at a long term impact on the incidence of mass shootings.

If the government actually represented the wishes of the citizenry, it would be a different situation... but in all of our "citizens united" wisdom, we have decided to let our government represent corporate interests instead.

If the government actually represented the wishes of the citizenry, it would be a different situation... but in all of our "citizens united" wisdom, we have decided to let our government represent corporate interests instead.
no offense, but i find that to be both incredibly naive and a massive case of wishful thinking.

you can't blame "special interest" boogeymen for this, despite clearly wishing it were otherwise you have to face the fact that this is the will of the people.
gun nuts are nuts for guns (that's kind of inherent in the name) and the overwhelming majority of not-gun-nuts have gone into the meek defensive stance of "oh well i mean yes you can have them of course but maybe if you don't mind we could...?" when it comes to regulation.
there's zero aggressive public calls-to-action when it comes to the idea of saying "yeah, fuck you" to the 2nd amendment and just banning all firearms of all sorts without exception forever, which is the ONLY solution to the gun problem in america.

anything short of that is just looking at an arterial wound and arguing over which type of leaf is the best to put on top of it to stop the bleeding.

I disagree, the issue of guns is very evenly divided and the people who like their guns are very vocal and will ban together for it. This one isn't just the lobby's fault.

Yes, it does seem rather hopeless and I agree, a gun ban is just not practical. I don't think any "gun control" measures I have heard of would have done anything to prevent Paddock doing what he did one way or another. But I still think there is a profile to the mass shooter that could be useful in preventing the likes of Paddock. Perhaps a ban on the legal sale of the rapid fire device would have lowered the death toll.

I disagree, the issue of guns is very evenly divided and the people who like their guns are very vocal and will ban together for it. This one isn't just the lobby's fault.
I suppose their hyper paranoia about Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama taking their guns has nothing to do with the NRA.

Last time I checked, "the public" was overwhelmingly supportive of tighter restrictions on guns- assault weapons in particular. That said, I harbor no illusions that giving in to that segment - however large or small it may be - would eliminate or even significantly mitigate the "mass shooter" problem. I like guns myself... ARs in particular. But I don't hunt, am not a candidate for an active shooting spree, and rarely get to fling lead downrange. So I'd be happy to give it up if it would help, but I don't think it would.

Last edited:
Of course gun control is not THE ANSWER. There is not one action or law that is THE ANSWER. The real question is whether thoughtful and realistic gun control combined with other policies is part of THE ANSWER.

Of course gun control is not THE ANSWER. There is not one action or law that is THE ANSWER. The real question is whether thoughtful and realistic gun control combined with other policies is part of THE ANSWER.
Yeah, like the media's fierce policy for making sure these maniacs are famous.

I think the bigger problem than guns being available is guns being celebrated. Gun culture is a problem.

I think the point of the article, and a good point IMO, is that those that make laws seem to have no practical knowledge of that which they are attempting to regulate, and results in meaningless regulations. for that, I can agree. Same applies to anything Technological or Scientific in general.. the speed of law is such that they are about in the late 90's as far as the law's understanding of computer technology... and courts still allow some debunked forensic 'science'.. as one defense attorney once said, ".. you have two scientifically illiterate lawyers arguing the merits of a technological-heavy case to 12 scientifically illiterate jurors, and decided by a scientifically illiterate judge"... I think it is THAT that is at the core of our gun-law issues. Ignorance.

It's not just that the rules aren't really relevant, but that guns are more a symptom than the problem.

Back
Top Bottom