• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why have Republican leaders abandoned their principles in support of an immoral and dangerous president?

This article explains it better than anything else I have read. It's a little bit long, but the title question doesn't lend to the short, simple, wrong answers favored by conservatives and the lazy.

The obsequiousness of Trump's Republican enablers explained, with historical context.

I really enjoyed that article. Apparently the writer also has a book coming out soon that might be worth checking out, "Twilight of Democracy: The Seductive Lure of Authoritarianism." I thought it was significant that she calls out Mattis for not speaking out against Trump and that is exactly what Mattis did this week.

This article explains it better than anything else I have read. It's a little bit long, but the title question doesn't lend to the short, simple, wrong answers favored by conservatives and the lazy.

The obsequiousness of Trump's Republican enablers explained, with historical context.

I really enjoyed that article. Apparently the writer also has a book coming out soon that might be worth checking out, "Twilight of Democracy: The Seductive Lure of Authoritarianism." I thought it was significant that she calls out Mattis for not speaking out against Trump and that is exactly what Mattis did this week.

The silence of the lambs is disturbing, yes. But not as much so as their surprised squeals of terror as their blood is let.
I hope against hope that the handful of people in critical positions to enable or forestall the horrors that Trump would perpetrate against this nation, will be unified and stalwart in a decision to return America to democracy when the do or die time arrives.

It is as simple as McConnell despite failing America at every turn, has managed to help cement far right-wing ideology into the courts.

Trump has put nearly as many judges (51) on Appellate Courts in less than 4 years as Obama did in 8 years (55). Trump is about on par judges (per year) for District Court appointments.

It is as simple as McConnell despite failing America at every turn, has managed to help cement far right-wing ideology into the courts.

Trump has put nearly as many judges (51) on Appellate Courts in less than 4 years as Obama did in 8 years (55). Trump is about on par judges (per year) for District Court appointments.

Yup. The Cons know their game is up. As of now they can only lie and cheat their way through. They have gerrymandered districts, they’ve blocked people from voting, and now they’ve stacked the courts against us. But the tide is slowly, very slowly, too slowly in fact, turning against them. Thus expect more desperate measures in the coming years.

SLD

The answer is also in Zipr's signature, the quote by David Frum: "When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy."

The Christian framework of principles conflict with democratic principles. Whether a particular conservative is Christian or not, this is the framework at play. Democracy is not a tribal label or group identity or religion. It doesn't contain the right elements for enslaving a mind, i.e., authority worship, intolerance of dissent, us vs. them mentality, the ideology itself being valued high above human well being, the sense of self conflated with the ideological group identity, etc.

If you're steeped in such a mentality, as millions of Americans are, ideas such as democracy, conscience, equality, are nothing more than lip service. They're fine as long as this conflict in conservative heads is not too disturbing and as long as they are politically useful. But there is no doubt they are not conservative values. If a conservative does truly hold democratic values, they would dissent, and some have, as we've seen. What's left are the most seething of zealots. They'll sell their kids to remain in the group's graces, at least as long as the group has any power. Once the group is defeated, they'll scatter and try to pretend they didn't know or weren't as complicit as they were.

It's a disease of humanity.

Edit: In other words, they have not abandoned their principles. They are following their principles to a T.

Last edited:
Because they never had principles to begin with. To them a "principle" is merely a rhetorical weakness they identify in others: to use the principles of others to impugn people to them.

You see it all the time with respect to their messaging on Biden: Trump is attacking Biden's record on weed, but it was Trump who appointed Jeff Sessions, appointed Mark Meadows, appointed Tom Price... I mean his appointments are an anti-marijuana laundry list.

The principles for republicans are to use other people's principles to manipulate them through selective messaging. They are principle parasites

I would argue that republicans', at least at the federal level (and a good many at the state level) only 'principle' is "win at all costs".

They mouth the words that they think their followers want to hear. They rely on propaganda and lies. They don't actually care about any of the BS they claim. I won't say they never have, but since at least WW2, maybe even going back to shortly after the 'big switch' aka Southern Strategy.

It's pretty simple, actually. Democrats are in politics to help other people; Republicans are in politics as puppets to help only a select group of people.

Only Democrats are actual public servants.

Yup. The Cons know their game is up. As of now they can only lie and cheat their way through. They have gerrymandered districts, they’ve blocked people from voting, and now they’ve stacked the courts against us. But the tide is slowly, very slowly, too slowly in fact, turning against them. Thus expect more desperate measures in the coming years.

SLD
Yes, the game is up. Lindsey Graham is now urging conservative judges to retire before November so that he can get them replaced with younger conservative judges.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/...conservative-judges-trump-election/index.html

"This is an historic opportunity," Graham said in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. "If (Trump) can get four more years, I mean, it would change the judiciary for several generations. So if you're a circuit judge in your mid-60s, late 60s, you can take senior status, now would be a good time to do that if you want to make sure the judiciary is right of center."

This is remarkable for two reasons. Graham reveals that he values ideology over justice. Well, that is no REAL surprise even though he is the senate judiciary chairman, but come on, isn't justice supposed to be blind? ... And it reveals that Graham doesn't really believe Trump will win in November.

Because he IS helping them realize some of their principles:
1. tax cuts for the rich
2. cutting environmental and other regulatory rules on industry
3. appointing pro-business and potentially anti-abortion judges
4. getting tough, not very successfully, but trying, and at the moment more successfully because of the pandemic, on people coming into the U.S. A.

Back
Top Bottom