• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is ammonium chloride added to some licorice?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Holy hell, it tastes ok about 10 seconds then a stale urine flavor seeps out of it.

Salt licorice is very popular in some parts of Europe, particularly in the Netherlands and Scandinavia; The Ammonium Chloride imparts a salty, slightly acid flavour.

The taste reminds me of black powder; I cannot understand why anyone actually likes it, but apparently they do. As long as they don't make me eat it, they are welcome to it. I will stick to proper sweet licorice, in the Pontefract style, thanks very much.

Sal Ammoniac and Ammonium Bicarbonate are also used in baking - where the Ammonia tends to be driven off during the cooking process, so that it doesn't impart the unpleasant flavour that is apparently desirable in salt licorice.

When used in cookie dough, the fact that Ammonia has a great affinity for water is key - it renders biscuits particularly crisp and light, by rapidly drying out the dough as it cooks.

Salt licorice is very popular in some parts of Europe, particularly in the Netherlands and Scandinavia; The Ammonium Chloride imparts a salty, slightly acid flavour.

The taste reminds me of black powder; I cannot understand why anyone actually likes it, but apparently they do. As long as they don't make me eat it, they are welcome to it. I will stick to proper sweet licorice, in the Pontefract style, thanks very much.

Sal Ammoniac and Ammonium Bicarbonate are also used in baking - where the Ammonia tends to be driven off during the cooking process, so that it doesn't impart the unpleasant flavour that is apparently desirable in salt licorice.

When used in cookie dough, the fact that Ammonia has a great affinity for water is key - it renders biscuits particularly crisp and light, by rapidly drying out the dough as it cooks.

I used to have a source for some Australian licorice... LOVED that stuff. Now I forget the name, but have assumed ever since that Au has the very best of it.

Back
Top Bottom