• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is Howard Schultz Getting so Much 2020 Attention?

Trump was a unique individual for the presidency because not only was he rich and spoke the language of the hogs, but he was a popular celebrity who everybody knew as a deal-maker. He didn't need the political establishment to do his thing, so he had more freedom to posture and maneuver through the public eye on his own terms. This, I think, can be owed to his status as a larger-than-life oligarch who eschews norms and rules, which had been built up over decades by his books and TV appearances. He was already a household name before he ever announced his candidacy, and was just waiting for the right moment to harness popular discontent (i.e. after Obama's second term).

Other rich political outsiders have tried to enter the political fray and nobody cared about them. Forbes, for example. Nobody cared then, and they sure as hell aren't gonna care any more now when the policies that rich people are most opposed to are front-and-center in everybody's mind. With Bloomberg and Schultz, we have old rich guys who nobody really knows as personalities. They go on Twitter and announce their dislike of what most voters want, and portray themselves as exemplars of the worst parts of Democratic party leadership. The bootlickers and business owners are impressed by this for some reason, but usually they don't garner enough support among the general population to stay in the race.
^This. And a rare intersection of our opinion. I would just add that having a charismatic personality helps a candidate a lot. Though I don't think Don the Con's charisma was in the typical freeway lane of US politics. Americans seem to be pulled to such people, and appearing dry, aloof, et.al. can sink an otherwise 'good on paper' candidate.

...opposition to Donald Trump may not be enough to elect any Democrat who happens to land the nomination.

That is going to depend upon who gets pissed upon over the next year+.
Trump is rapidly going more and more insane - he used to contradict his own tweets from the previous day. Now he contradicts himself from the previous sentence. Like a fat orange blob standing atop his ivory tower, he pisses on all below and asks them to pay thanks for the blessed rain he provides. Some will comply. Some will get some in their mouths and realize it ain't fresh water. Others will see the whole spectacle for the obscene theatrical performance that it is. Among those, some will enjoy the show. Others will become newly disgusted with it, having become bored with its repetitive nature. It may not be necessarily to even oppose Cheato - at least not overtly.
The only certain thing is that the eventual outcome is far from certain.

When you think about it terms of numbers, how much has Trump really expanded his base of supporters since he was elected?

The people who support Trump now have pretty much always supported him. A growing number of his detractors, though, are former supporters. Now that everybody has seen what a Trump presidency looks like, I don't see him galvanizing enough support among non-diehards to compete with a Democrat, especially after the midterms.

Trump built up a lot of relationships over the years. He had lots of under the radar businesses and organizations pulling for him behind the scene. Radio personalities, tabloid media and such. That worked for Trump.
He had the National Enquirer and Sean Hannity behind him. Most of the AM Radio sphere wasn't for Trump, nor the media. It wasn't until he won the nomination that the remainder of the AM radio empire got in line.
And the Russian bot farms and Putin pushing wikileaks, etc. Maybe that's what 'under the radar' organizations refers to? ;)

When you think about it terms of numbers, how much has Trump really expanded his base of supporters since he was elected?

The people who support Trump now have pretty much always supported him. A growing number of his detractors, though, are former supporters. Now that everybody has seen what a Trump presidency looks like, I don't see him galvanizing enough support among non-diehards to compete with a Democrat, especially after the midterms.

Well, there's about a 150 million people in Russia and I'm pretty sure that they're all registered to vote in various swing states by now, so that's a decent expansion of his numbers.

Trump won because he was well known, had a penchant for grandstanding and his full incompetence had not yet really exhibited itself. Hillary lost because black Americans, Latinos and young people didn't turn out to vote. By 2020, things will be different. He has irritated a lot of voters. Suburban women. Young voter. 37% of voters in 2020 will be generation X and millenials. By 2020, so many people will be so sick of him and his buddy Mitch McConnell and his ratfucking Republicans, it's gonna be rough. Remember Trump won by flipping 3 states by 77K votes. A lot of people who sat out 2016 will be not making that mistake again. The first bill from the new Democratic House is aimed at GOP voter suppression. 2020 will be scorched earth for everybody. and the campaign for 2020 has already started.

Trump won because he was well known, had a penchant for grandstanding and his full incompetence had not yet really exhibited itself. Hillary lost because black Americans, Latinos and young people didn't turn out to vote. By 2020, things will be different. He has irritated a lot of voters. Suburban women. Young voter. 37% of voters in 2020 will be generation X and millenials. By 2020, so many people will be so sick of him and his buddy Mitch McConnell and his ratfucking Republicans, it's gonna be rough. Remember Trump won by flipping 3 states by 77K votes. A lot of people who sat out 2016 will be not making that mistake again. The first bill from the new Democratic House is aimed at GOP voter suppression. 2020 will be scorched earth for everybody. and the campaign for 2020 has already started.
Trump's win was only remarkable in that he won several states in the blue wall.

Was that really because young people, Black people, and Latino people didn't come out to vote? What about the almost 50 percent of registered voters who didn't vote at all? What about the hundreds of thousands of people in these states that voted for Obama, then voted for Trump?

Hillary Clinton lost because she ran a bad campaign, she is a notoriously bad campaigner who always loses support as the election goes on.

She lost because people in those states, and in Middle America generally, is in very bad shape.

So much for all the attention. Now it's "Howard who?"

Howard "Person of Means" Schultz

Dickwad... most of us consider someone worth one one-hundredth of one billion dollars a "person of means". You are a Fucking Greedy Asshole.

He doesn't want to be president, is what I've decided. He, like Bloomberg, just doesn't want Sanders or Warren to be president, and will run to split the vote if either of them get nominated. My hope is that even if he does, he'll just end up splitting the Republican vote as much as or more than the Democratic vote. If anything, he appeals more to the classical Republicans who like being rich and like running society without being represented by someone gauche and unpleasant like Trump, compared to the increasingly left-leaning Democratic constituency.

Although surveys say that more Americans are moderate than liberal, I do think a progressive candidate could win. But, in order to win, that candidate must give very detailed information as to how they plan on accomplishing their goals in a way that sounds reasonable. For example, Medicare isn't a program that is simply provided by government. Part C, the Advantage plans are very popular and they are provided by private insurance companies. The 20% plans that cover Part B deductibles are optional but they are all provided by insurance companies. And, Part D, the drug coverage part of Medicare is all provided by private insurance companies. They have a lot of copays and far too many drugs are unaffordable or not even covered. What can we do about that? Many people want to continue with private insurance, because the fact is that these policies are often, not always, but often, much better than Medicare coverage. I speak from personal experience. So, a candidate who says we need to get rid of all insurance plans like Bernie did, is unlikely to win enough moderates. But, a candidate who explains that there will be options, has a much better chance of being successful.

What I would like to see is a detailed plan. It will contain how the money will be provided, what the costs and copays will be to the individual, what options the individual will have when they choose their coverage, etc. etc. For the most part right now, all we are hearing is a slogan. Medicare for All tells me almost nothing. We need a smart candidate with a realistic plan. That candidate can be very progressive as long as he/she is realistic. They can support a plan to increase taxes on the upper few percent, but it has to be reasonable. That candidate can support more help for lower income people, as long as it's reasonable and easy to understand.

Things like raising the minimum wage, assuring that SS will remain intact for both current recipients as well as the younger generations, doing a lot more to save the environment and decreasing dependency on fossil fuels are things that both liberals and moderates usually support. I'm waiting for a candidate that explains how they are going to do these things. Unfortunately, that candidate must also have an appealing personality, one that exemplifies the ability to work with both foreign and domestic leaders of different types, and is also pleasing to the American electorate. Who will that candidate be? If all you have is to tell me that I'm not far enough to the left or I'm too far to the right, don't waste your time answering.

The icing on the cake would be some good, constructive ideas regarding foreign policy. That certainly would be a nice change. I do sometimes wonder about the sanity of anyone who wants the job, especially considering the mess he/she will have to clean up. :D

Paul Krugman calls out "radical centrist" Howard Schultz | Salon.com noting Opinion | Attack of the Fanatical Centrists - The New York Times by Paul Krugman

From the Salon article, after noting the possibility that HS might be a spoiler in 2020,
Over the past few days, however, that complaint has taken a backseat to complaints about Schultz as a candidate on his own merits. He doesn’t vote regularly, doesn’t know basic facts of U.S. political history, and seems to have no actual policy positions other than generically complaining about both parties (while only going into detail about his gripes with Democrats) and criticizing any policy proposal that would raise his own taxes.

Turning to PK's NYT Op-Ed, after stating that "There’s no question that the most disruptive, dangerous extremists are on the right." he notes another troublesome faction, "fanatical centrists." He suspects that Howard Schultz is one of that faction, stating that his "delusions of knowledge" are "conventional centrist doctrine."

"First, there’s the obsession with public debt." PK argues that such concerns are misplaced. "Schultz, however, still declares debt our biggest problem. ... Sure enough, Schultz is all into cutting Social Security, but opposes any tax hike on the wealthy."
In general, centrists are furiously opposed to any proposal that would ease the lives of ordinary Americans. Universal health coverage, says Schultz, would be “free health care for all, which the country cannot afford.”

And he’s not alone in saying things like that. A few days ago Michael Bloomberg declared that extending Medicare to everyone, as Kamala Harris suggests, would “bankrupt us for a very long time.”
PK suspects that the problem is political: persuading people to pay taxes instead of premiums.
Finally, the hallmark of fanatical centrism is the determination to see America’s left and right as equally extreme, no matter what they actually propose.

Thus, throughout the Obama years, centrists called for political leaders who would address their debt concerns with an approach that combined spending cuts with revenue increases, offer a market-based health care plan and invest in infrastructure, somehow never managing to acknowledge that there was one major figure proposing exactly that — President Barack Obama.
That's what they wanted, isn't it? As the Democrats become progressive, these self-styled centrists have become "downright hysterical."
But Medicare for all, says Schultz, is “not American.” Elizabeth Warren has proposed taxes on the wealthy that are squarely in the tradition of Teddy Roosevelt; Bloomberg says that they would turn us into Venezuela.
PK suspects "vanity", like considering oneself above partisan squabbles.

Back
Top Bottom