• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is the 1/6 DC riot not being considered to be terrorism?

ZiprHead

Substitute Looney
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
This is the FBI's definition of terrorism.

Domestic terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.

because it was white people, and especially right-wing white people, and their violence and anti-government radicalism hasn't been considered terrorism for 400 years.

This is the FBI's definition of terrorism.

Domestic terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.

Because it was instigated and led by a government recognized by the U.S. government.
Tom

Why is the 12/6 DC riot not being considered to be terrorism?
According to all the terrorist training we got in the service, i have to think "Real" Terrorists would have remembered they brought bombs.

They need a new category, really. Like when they created the category of dwarf planet and moved Pluto into it?
We need a category of incompetent terrorists. Dwarforrists, terriots, fool's patriot, something.

Killed more of their own than opposition, forgot their bombs, flashed their badges, FILMED THEIR CRIMES, and returned to their home of record afterwards....

According to all the terrorist training we got in the service, i have to think "Real" Terrorists would have remembered they brought bombs.

They need a new category, really. Like when they created the category of dwarf planet and moved Pluto into it?
We need a category of incompetent terrorists. Dwarforrists, terriots, fool's patriot, something.

Killed more of their own than opposition, forgot their bombs, flashed their badges, FILMED THEIR CRIMES, and returned to their home of record afterwards....

Keystone Coup. I can't think of anything else.

Keystone Coup. I can't think of anything else.
An idiocratic uprising.

It has to do with how the government defines terrorism. They don't use a dictionary. The President has wide latitude to declare certain groups terrorists. He shouldn't, but he does. So, when Trump started saying he might label Antifa terrorists, it was a big deal because that would initiate a process.

I think this was insurrection.
an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

If it's insurrection it can't be terrorism.
the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

The difference to me is that the rioters were trying to overturn the election and the federal government. That's different than just trying to get the government to do something (such as get out of the middle east). Also terrorism is directed against the people, not the government itself. Frankly in this case I think insurrection reflects the more relevant issue. That said, when it comes down to how it's viewed by law enforcement it comes under the purview of domestic terrorism.

an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

The difference to me is that the rioters were trying to overturn the election and the federal government. That's different than just trying to get the government to do something (such as get out of the middle east). Also terrorism is directed against the people, not the government itself. Frankly in this case I think insurrection reflects the more relevant issue. That said, when it comes down to how it's viewed by law enforcement it comes under the purview of domestic terrorism.

But they aren't doing so with terrorist means?

Yes, but unbelievably, there is no law against domestic terrorism.

I still think that Jan 6 is best described as a failed coup against the US. And attempting a coup is criminal. It was not just the mob but the President and various of his supporters in the government too. We can only be thankful that they were incompetent.

What do you mean by "terrorist means"? Terrorism means trying to instill fear into the populous to the point that they desist from some activity. That's not what the goal was here. They wanted to overthrow the sitting government and re-install Trump as President. It isn't terrorist simply because it includes violence. That's way too broad a definition.

Yeah, terrorism us a tool used by those who lack political power to effect change.
This coup was an attempt to extend the political power of Trump. And more reports keep coming to light about the well-prepared individuals within the Great Unwashed, with specific plans and tools.
Hopefully, someone will brief the Senate on how close some of them came to grievous harm, before they vote on Danger Yam's fate.

Why should it be considered terrorism? It wasn't an attempt to change public or governmental action by fear, it was a keystone coup.

You don't need to be competent to be a real life terrorist. Remember Richard Reid, the Shoe Bomber, he was pretty damn incompetent, and he got 110 years. Or the Underwear Bomber, also an incompetent terrorist who is serving a 50 year sentence.

So, no new category. They are terrorists, they should be charged as such, and I would even send the fuckers to Gitmo since that fucking place still exists, I understand they have plenty of room to house terrorists these days. We can't keep terrorists in detention on US soil, remember, because something, something, FREEDOM!

What do you mean by "terrorist means"? Terrorism means trying to instill fear into the populous to the point that they desist from some activity. That's not what the goal was here. They wanted to overthrow the sitting government and re-install Trump as President. It isn't terrorist simply because it includes violence. That's way too broad a definition.

I don't know where you were sitting, but they certainly instilled fear in the populous from my vantage point. I know, I was one of those who was afraid, and horrified, and saddened. The definition does not say that the fear need be intentional, though I think it was. I think they at least planned to instill fear in members of congress to get them to coerce them into installing Trump as God King.

Back
Top Bottom