• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why isn't BLM defending this guy?

Dayum!!!

Luckily black bears are not that aggressive, unless you get between momma and her cubs. If that was a kodiak or a brown she'd probably be a stain on the path.

I've been face to face with a black bear. As mentioned, they're not likely to attack a human unless cornered or you're between mama bear and her cubs. I'm a suburbanite, not used to seeing bears, so that night I looked one in the face was pretty exciting. I didn't notice her at first and my daughter's voice came from the back door, "Mom, there's a bear right there." I turned and saw the bear's big flat head in silhouette from the street lights and eyes that looked like black holes in that light. She patiently waited for me to move out of her way and then ran off into the woods.

I've been face to face with a black bear. As mentioned, they're not likely to attack a human unless cornered or you're between mama bear and her cubs. I'm a suburbanite, not used to seeing bears, so that night I looked one in the face was pretty exciting. I didn't notice her at first and my daughter's voice came from the back door, "Mom, there's a bear right there." I turned and saw the bear's big flat head in silhouette from the street lights and eyes that looked like black holes in that light. She patiently waited for me to move out of her way and then ran off into the woods.

Wow, I think i'd have me a drink after that.

I've had a number of bear encounters... first time was while camping in Yosemite. Tied a line between two trees and put a tarp over it for a quick temp shelter. Woke in the middle of the night to tree limbs crashing down on the tarp, and could barely make out a black bear cub that had climbed one of the trees. Panic time - "where's the mom?" Didn't stick around to find out - beat it out of there, didn't sleep until the sun came up.

But the "closest call" was when a huge black bear got into our garbage shed attached to the outside of my house in Four Mile Canyon west of Boulder. There was a vertical window next to the shed and when I heard the noise, went to the window. It was dark outside, so I cupped my hands around my face to block out the light and pressed my face up against the glass. The bear's nose was 2-3 inches from my nose. I assure you, THAT will get your attention. I about had a heart attack.
The bear was unfazed. He plucked the door off the garbage shed (solid 2x6 construction with 6" strap hinges), grabbed a bag and headed across the creek. A half hour later found me outside with a flashlight picking garbage out of the creek bed, heart still going at 120bpm...

I've had a number of bear encounters... first time was while camping in Yosemite. Tied a line between two trees and put a tarp over it for a quick temp shelter. Woke in the middle of the night to tree limbs crashing down on the tarp, and could barely make out a black bear cub that had climbed one of the trees. Panic time - "where's the mom?" Didn't stick around to find out - beat it out of there, didn't sleep until the sun came up.

But the "closest call" was when a huge black bear got into our garbage shed attached to the outside of my house in Four Mile Canyon west of Boulder. There was a vertical window next to the shed and when I heard the noise, went to the window. It was dark outside, so I cupped my hands around my face to block out the light and pressed my face up against the glass. The bear's nose was 2-3 inches from my nose. I assure you, THAT will get your attention. I about had a heart attack.
The bear was unfazed. He plucked the door off the garbage shed (solid 2x6 construction with 6" strap hinges), grabbed a bag and headed across the creek. A half hour later found me outside with a flashlight picking garbage out of the creek bed, heart still going at 120bpm...

One morning on trash day, I was walking my grandson to the bus stop and every trash bin on our street had been overturned and strewn about by bears some time during the night. Grandbaby was wide-eyed at the sight. "Was there a tornado last night??" It really did look like a natural disaster of some kind. I was never so glad to have forgotten to put the trash bin out, so we were the only ones on our street to not get "hit by the tornado." :D

Back
Top Bottom