• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the US South Sucks...and Minnesota and New Hampshire Rock!

I think you may have missed the last 30 or 40 years.

The net migration to the south is pretty persistent across age groups and states.

http://www.newgeography.com/content...tes-population-heading-long-term-deceleration

http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/?level=nation&mode=map&state=0&submeasure=257

Explained in large part due to lower land/housing prices. The NE and the West Coast are getting too crowded and don't have very good land use policies conducive to affordable housing. The south has lower worker productivity as evidenced by their lower wages for equivalent positions.

So, what you're saying is this "journalist" may have missed a few things about what makes a place somewhere people *actually* want to live....

Looks like we have a lot of sour grapes. Make all the excuses you want, but there is a reason I live here. There is also a reason why we continually top these types of lists. There is also a reason why nobody has asked me in 10 years "what church do you go to" or "do you know about Jesus". The reason our property costs more is that we make more. As for employment, our governor is speaking with Mexico again to recruit labor because once again we find ourselves with more jobs than we have workers for -- and Mexicans are willing to come here to work. - Unlike lazy southerners.

Poverty and hardship does make good music, but if you want to get a name for yourself in the arts, you'd better head north where people can afford to buy your art. You want to chose from several employers who are falling over backwards to recruit you: head north. You want four seasons and tens of thousands of parks, developed recreational facilities, trails and untouched sub-Canuckiastani wilderness filled with tasty animals: head north. You want to swing a dead cat and hit breweries, bistros and burger joints: head north. You want to hang out with celebrities that aren't sweaty and 1200lbs: head north...

Shall I go on??

If I move to your dumb state what's the chances of me getting fed into a woodchipper out behind the lake house?

Depends on whether you use the safety guard or not.

Looks like we have a lot of sour grapes. Make all the excuses you want, but there is a reason I live here. There is also a reason why we continually top these types of lists. There is also a reason why nobody has asked me in 10 years "what church do you go to" or "do you know about Jesus". The reason our property costs more is that we make more. As for employment, our governor is speaking with Mexico again to recruit labor because once again we find ourselves with more jobs than we have workers for -- and Mexicans are willing to come here to work. - Unlike lazy southerners.

Perhaps if they were paid a living wage.

True. The state minimum is only $10/hr. Most starting wages are around $18/hr.

As for employment, our governor is speaking with Mexico again to recruit labor because once again we find ourselves with more jobs than we have workers for -- and Mexicans are willing to come here to work. - Unlike lazy southerners.

Wow, it must be great there.

We can't get Mexicans to come to Texas.

Poverty and hardship does make good music, but if you want to get a name for yourself in the arts, you'd better head north where people can afford to buy your art. You want to chose from several employers who are falling over backwards to recruit you: head north. You want four seasons and tens of thousands of parks, developed recreational facilities, trails and untouched sub-Canuckiastani wilderness filled with tasty animals: head north. You want to swing a dead cat and hit breweries, bistros and burger joints: head north. You want to hang out with celebrities that aren't sweaty and 1200lbs: head north...

Shall I go on??

Oh please do

Not like every form of American music has roots in the South, not like some of our greatest playwrights, novelists, essayists and poets come from the South,
It takes great strife to become a great artist. There's nothing in America like the stinking south to provide the suffering needed to create a great artist... that must travel north to make a living as an artist.
not like the South has sent disproportionate number of young men to fight and die for this country in its wars, police actions, and whatever the hell we call what we are doing now.

yup.. violent bunch of meatheads down there... most expendable people-fodder we got.
Southerners don't get mad just because people call us out on our bullshit.
True.. they get mad about a lot of other things too..
We also get mad because the people doing the calling evidently have no mirrors in their own houses.

... and that doesn't appear to be one of them... unless "mirror" is southern for "Me, or..." which doesn't make any more sense.

This thread reminds me of a neighbor I once had. She was a native New Yorker and had to move to Atlanta for work. The only thing she could find to complain about was that people smiled too much and the scenery was awful... all the trees blocked her view of the buildings. And she complained constantly about both.

They're only 3/5s expendable.

While the 3/5 compromise is a national stain, it was the South that pushed for counting them as full people and the North that pushed for not counting them at all.
I believe the idea was to count them as full people in terms of population count for determining representation in the House, even though they would not actually get any say or representation. Just a way to inflate the influence of a privileged few by using the powerless.

Uh-huh. So it is enlightened to say "they're not really people." Kind of like when talking about how the only thing Southerners are good for is cannon-fodder.

I don't remember the southerners calling for their slaves to be allowed to vote.

Back
Top Bottom