• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the US South Sucks...and Minnesota and New Hampshire Rock!

Looks like we have a lot of sour grapes. Make all the excuses you want, but there is a reason I live here. There is also a reason why we continually top these types of lists. There is also a reason why nobody has asked me in 10 years "what church do you go to" or "do you know about Jesus".
And yet you gave the world Michelle Bachmann.

When I was a mere slip of a girl, my father took me aside to have "the talk."

No, not that "the talk"

But the racism talk.

He said, "Little Girl, White folk in the South don't care how close you get, long as you don't get high; and White folk in the North don't care how high you get, so long as you don't get too close."

There is truth in that, and not just with regard to racism. Just think on it a bit.

When speaking about underdeveloped countries, the valid question often rises. "Well, who underdeveloped those countries?"

This country is the way it is not because the regions of the country just naturally decided to be one way or the other. Conscious decisions were made and carried out and institutions developed and narratives written that would lead a regionalism that would keep people separated, segregated, and alienated.

Just as many of the old money fortunes of the New England come from the slave trade, so did the planter classes of the South both pre and post Civil War increase their fortunes through the speculations and manipulations of the northern banks.

But southerners are hicks and northerners are heartless and never the two shall have a meeting of the minds.

Is this how you wish it to be?

But southerners are hicks and northerners are heartless and never the two shall have a meeting of the minds.

I think it's more that by most objective measurements regarding quality of life and the like, whatever the North is doing is working better than whatever the South is doing. If they're going to have a meeting of the minds, the place that they meet should be a lot closer to where the North currently is than to where the South currently is.

I have friends in both regions and they just reflect their day to day prejudices, just like about everybody. Both areas have their own prejudicial attitudes. Neither are particularly inviting to me. I could really not rate one over the other.

I am begining to fear I will never escape from the South save throught death:(
It is natural for different people to have different preferences. Neither is 'better', they are just different.

I had 'escaped' (through necessity of my profession) the South and feared I wouldn't be able to return before I died but I did. It is just a shame that there is no god to thank for my ability to return to my Paradise.

Looks like we have a lot of sour grapes. Make all the excuses you want, but there is a reason I live here. There is also a reason why we continually top these types of lists. There is also a reason why nobody has asked me in 10 years "what church do you go to" or "do you know about Jesus".
And yet you gave the world Michelle Bachmann.
The Bachmann cannot be contained. We tried. The sanity filed we put around her could never hold that level of crazy.

In fact I just got a letter from her. Did you know Al Franken has rich celebrity friends? And the word "Constitution" was bolded and underlined throughout the document. Although I do wonder what the conservative Constitution is.

I think it's more that by most objective measurements regarding quality of life and the like, whatever the North is doing is working better than whatever the South is doing. If they're going to have a meeting of the minds, the place that they meet should be a lot closer to where the North currently is than to where the South currently is.

When your "objective measurements" are not consistent with the actual data about where people are choosing to move, your objective measurements may not be as objective as you think.

Calling Southern people "expendable people-fodder" is a very good way to display the only bigotry that is still politically correct - bigotry against Southerners.

I'm not bigoted against southerners... I am bigoted against idiocy. I can't help it if all southerners are idiots. geeze... like it is my fault that they are all in-bred, anti-science illiterates.

But thank you for calling me politically correct... that would be a first.

"I'm not a bigot, it's just that All X is Y."

Yep. No bigotry. All Southerners are in-bred, anti-science, illiterate, etc. Absolutely no sweeping judgments made about large groups of people there.

I'd say that if you really feel you're not a bigot, replace the word "Southern" with some racial epithet and see how your sentence reads to you. Why, it would look like something one of those stupid Southerners would say, right? Because they're all racist too. All X is Y.

We Michiganders and Minnesotans have all the good water. We'll be waiting for you when the southwest turns to dust.

Me no like when mean people talk bad about friends. GRrrrrRRrrr!!!!

Me no like when mean people talk bad about friends. GRrrrrRRrrr!!!!

Have a smoke and join the party, dude. We northerners like to party. Keeps us warm when we are cold.

I will admit that there seems to be more northern states that legalize marijuana. That's pretty cool. I also admit that the education I got growing up in Texas was pretty shitty. One time one of my jackass teachers tried to teach me that Karl Marx was the most evil person who ever lived. But besides that, I don't think Texas is as bad as most people think it is. I've lived here my whole life, and I don't have a strong desire to leave.

Last edited:

Yep. No bigotry. All Southerners are in-bred, anti-science, illiterate, etc. Absolutely no sweeping judgments made about large groups of people there.

I'd say that if you really feel you're not a bigot, replace the word "Southern" with some racial epithet and see how your sentence reads to you. Why, it would look like something one of those stupid Southerners would say, right? Because they're all racist too. All X is Y.

OK, let me try and see...

All black people have more melanin than white people...
All Asians have straight black hair....

All southerners are fucking stupid....

I don't get it... where's the bigotry?

All black people have more melanin are lazier than white people...
All Asians have straigh black hair are inferior to white people....

All southerners are fucking stupid New Yorkers are the product of incest....

I don't get it either... where's the bigotry? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

All black people have more melanin are lazier than white people...
All Asians have straigh black hair are inferior to white people....

All southerners are fucking stupid New Yorkers are the product of incest....

I don't get it either... where's the bigotry? :rolleyes:

Wikipedia to the rescue:

The General Sherman is a giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) tree located in the Giant Forest of Sequoia National Park in Tulare County, in the U.S. state of California. By volume, it is the largest known living single stem tree on earth.

Y'all ain't gonna find no bigotry 'n that thar Gen'l Sherman...

Back
Top Bottom