• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience?

Man wasn't punished? Man was punished greatly. They lived in The Garden, a place where stuff grew alot, so they tended to it, but were rewarded with lots of produce. The punishment for man was that the ground would be hard as fuck to till and grow food. That he'd have to bust his hump and production would still be sparse.

Sure but in that day, many women died in child birth as well as they had to work the fields just as hard as the men.
The story comes from an agrarian society. The idea that mankind original came from an area where food grew plentifully from the ground was what made it Paradise. That the transgression led to the ground being cursed was extremely relevant to the audience.

Only wimps will complain or think we had it harder than women. Especially when women had to kowtow to their men thanks to religion.
What exactly is your point? The story is answering the questions of "If there is a god why..."
- is it so hard to farm
- birth hurt so much relative to what animals seem to go through
- what is the deal with the snakes

Sure but in that day, many women died in child birth as well as they had to work the fields just as hard as the men.

Only wimps will complain or think we had it harder than women. Especially when women had to kowtow to their men thanks to religion.

Regards
DL

This. You still see this today. No matter what tragedies befall men, the women in the same situation have it worse.

e.g. child soldiers. Boys AND girls are kidnapped and forced to become soldiers upon pain of death or mutilation. Boys and girls are beaten, put through their paces and trained and at night...the girls are still working...

You see 20/20.

Keep looking that way.

Regards
DL

The story comes from an agrarian society. The idea that mankind original came from an area where food grew plentifully from the ground was what made it Paradise. That the transgression led to the ground being cursed was extremely relevant to the audience.

What exactly is your point? The story is answering the questions of "If there is a god why..."
- is it so hard to farm
- birth hurt so much relative to what animals seem to go through
- what is the deal with the snakes

Plenty leading to nothing was the way of life back then because the city states had finite resources.

If we are to go into that type of thinking then you have to look at the greater and older traditions for the answers you want. The stuff that the mainstream religions do not dare to teach as then people would see that it is all old myths and legends. All I can offer is this long link that tries to bring that information together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TndLzFZI9A

As a Gnostic Christian, I can get right into a lot of what that link gives but you will likely not get that much from it. I hope I am wrong.

Regards
DL

If we are to go into that type of thinking then you have to look at the greater and older traditions for the answers you want.
If 'that type of thinking' is that men make shit up to try to understand the universe, why would older traditions necessarily be greater? Or more accurate?

The stuff that the mainstream religions do not dare to teach as then people would see that it is all old myths and legends
And why is it that theists never carry this observation to the most logical conclusion, that their religion is also all old myths and legends?

Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience?

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

I think that Adam, not being deceived, was more culpable than Eve.

Why then did God favor the guiltiest, Adam, with, --- he shall rule over you?

Men rule over women? Why when men were not deceived but disobeyed?

What was the transgression, --- if not a wise decision to choose knowledge and wisdom and shun immortality of the flesh, --- even if that were possible, --- and why was Adan not punished as hard as Eve when he was clearly more guilty?

Regards
DL

Because the God of the Bible was designed to be misogynistic asshole, invented and believed in by misogynistic assholes, and is the core concept in a religion that was invented in part to subjugate women (plus justify genocide, and create a generally authoritarian power structure in society).

Very little of God's Biblical actions and punishments are just, fair, or reasonable, because he was not invented by just, fair, and reasonable men but by those seeking to rationalize their unjustness and unreasonableness. How someone can have the sense to see the in injustice of God's actions, yet remain any form of "christian" is an act of cognitive dissonance I find it hard to fathom.

If we are to go into that type of thinking then you have to look at the greater and older traditions for the answers you want.
If 'that type of thinking' is that men make shit up to try to understand the universe, why would older traditions necessarily be greater? Or more accurate?
Duh, because new shit is too hot and won't help stuff grow. Shit has to mature for a period of time, to develop good shit notes and qualities.

The stuff that the mainstream religions do not dare to teach as then people would see that it is all old myths and legends
And why is it that theists never carry this observation to the most logical conclusion, that their religion is also all old myths and legends?

The older are not more accurate. They just show what the ancients were thinking.

As to your last, I think they have as I believe, thanks to links and information as shown, that very few believers actually believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2VjdpVonY

I think that most theists are just following culture and tradition and are not stupid enough to actually believe the garbage their religions teach.

You have to remember that in these places, it is mostly right wing literalist fools that come a calling.

Regards
DL

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

What was the transgression, --- if not a wise decision to choose knowledge and wisdom and shun immortality of the flesh, --- even if that were possible, --- and why was Adan not punished as hard as Eve when he was clearly more guilty?

Regards
DL

Because the God of the Bible was designed to be misogynistic asshole, invented and believed in by misogynistic assholes, and is the core concept in a religion that was invented in part to subjugate women (plus justify genocide, and create a generally authoritarian power structure in society).

Very little of God's Biblical actions and punishments are just, fair, or reasonable, because he was not invented by just, fair, and reasonable men but by those seeking to rationalize their unjustness and unreasonableness. How someone can have the sense to see the in injustice of God's actions, yet remain any form of "christian" is an act of cognitive dissonance I find it hard to fathom.

Well put and no argument. Please see that link above.

Many are not in cognitive dissonance mode. They just do not care enough about their theology to argue. That is how little people think of think of their religions.

People do the same with politics. They vote a certain way because daddy did and grand daddy did and great -------

Regards
DL

- - - Updated - - -

Duh, because new shit is too hot and won't help stuff grow. Shit has to mature for a period of time, to develop good shit notes and qualities.

Nah. I was dividing the Eastern shit from the Western shit.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Because misogynistic men wrote the fiction in Genesis.

Western shit is cornier than Eastern shit- we produce 353 million megagrams of maize in the USA, opposed to 23 million megagrams in India. But this might just be the physical side of things... some Indian stuff is pretty corny.

I can't remember the individual's name- spoke perfect English, but worked at a computer help line. Dude was Indian, and would switch to his "Indian" accent when talking to customers. As someone who has worked on a help line before... struck me as completely awesome and funny.

Regards
DL

Becuase it is a disjointed set of poor short stories slapped together in a fictional representation of primitive life.

Regards
DL

Becuase it is a disjointed set of poor short stories slapped together in a fictional representation of primitive life.

Perhaps. I blame misogyny more.

Regards
DL

Perhaps. I blame misogyny more.

Well ... ya. It was written by misogynists who thought that women were shit compared to men. Pointing that out as some kind of insight is like coming to the revelation that KKK literature tends to disparage black people.

Regards
DL
I guess you haven't realized yet that all that is a MYTHOLOGY !?
Adam never existed..

Regards
DL
Adam never existed..

Free, you could have just said, "your post is in the correct forum".

If we were on a Star Wars message board and someone replied to your comment about some continuity point with, "it's just a story!", what would you say to them?

The Bible clearly states that men are made of dirt and women are made of ribs. This explains why women taste to much better than men.

Regards
DL
Adam never existed..
But I think there is a clear consensus that the story exists and the poster is asking why the story narrative runs the way it does.

The answer is "Because it does, roll the bones."

Why was Adam exempt ...

Because men wrote the stories, and men invented a misogynic male 'god' that quite naturally was an utter dick, like themselves.

Back
Top Bottom