• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Trump chicken out of debating Hillary?

I don't blame Hillary Clinton for this scheduling; I blame the debate commission for screwing up something that should be easy. I have no reason to believe that HRC is behind this.

i don't see this as a screw up. There is football nearly every night of the week and fans can Tivo the debates or catch the highlights.

NFL is Sunday, Monday (since 1970), and Thursday (since 2006) during the regular season. I do agree with using ones DVR for the debates or watch highlights; I just don't like the idea of scheduling them on those aforementioned days during the NFL season. I'm not surprised that Trump would use this as an excuse to try and avoid debates.

Personally I want HRC to wipe the floor with him if he shows up. If Trump chickens out, I'd like to see the press filet him (metaphorically) for the duration of the campaign. I don't expect them to do so.

i don't see this as a screw up. There is football nearly every night of the week and fans can Tivo the debates or catch the highlights.

NFL is Sunday, Monday (since 1970), and Thursday (since 2006) during the regular season. I do agree with using ones DVR for the debates or watch highlights; I just don't like the idea of scheduling them on those aforementioned days during the NFL season. I'm not surprised that Trump would use this as an excuse to try and avoid debates.

Personally I want HRC to wipe the floor with him if he shows up. If Trump chickens out, I'd like to see the press filet him (metaphorically) for the duration of the campaign. I don't expect them to do so.

Since when does an entertainment organization glorifying pointless tribalistic violence have the prestige necessary to preempt a(the only?) political debate between two serious (lol) candidates for arguably the most influential role in the entire planet for the next 4 years?

Football? How is that a legitimate excuse? If Trump's daughter was graduating from university AND getting married on the exact same day as the debate, I would still expect him to show up for the debate. Being president is THAT serious. But football? WTF?

I don't care that most Americans think the superbowl is more important to their lives than election day. They're wrong. Flat out wrong.

Since when does an entertainment organization glorifying pointless tribalistic violence have the prestige necessary to preempt a(the only?) political debate between two serious (lol) candidates for arguably the most influential role in the entire planet for the next 4 years?

Football? How is that a legitimate excuse?

Yes to all of this. WTF? Who cares if it's over a football game. It would be over _something_ no matter what. And why would that give Clinton an edge anyway? They play football 3 days a week. And the debates have preempted football before. Boo hoo.

Football? How is that a legitimate excuse? If Trump's daughter was graduating from university AND getting married on the exact same day as the debate, I would still expect him to show up for the debate. Being president is THAT serious. But football? WTF?

I don't care that most Americans think the superbowl is more important to their lives than election day. They're wrong. Flat out wrong.

If the debate isn't on ESPN, it's not being preempted. Preemption would mean that the debate wouldn't be aired in order to air the game. I highly doubt that the Entertainment & Sports Programming Network, will be airing any debates for political office. Both the game & the debates will air.

I simply think that it's a bad idea, in terms of having the most viewership, to put it on at the same time as Monday Night Football. Quite a few people are going to watch the game instead of the debates, or watch the game live, and (hopefully) DVR the debate. This is, IMO, a bad idea that was easy to predict.

There should be 3 debates for the Presidential candidates, and 1 for the VP candidates. Do I think Trump has a legitimate excuse to avoid the debate, no. Do I think he'll try and use this as an excuse, yes. When it comes to Trump, I'm no longer surprised at the lengths, or should I say depths, that he's willing to go to. I'm not sure he understands the concept of "you've gone too far".

The Super Bowl is in February, the election is in November. We also have early voting in many states. There's no conflict between those dates.

WTF? Who cares if it's over a football game.

You have to remember, we're talking about a guy who got monumentally pissed off that an episode of his second rate reality show got preempted by the news that Osama Bin Laden had finally been tracked down and killed.

Yes to all of this. WTF? Who cares if it's over a football game. It would be over _something_ no matter what. And why would that give Clinton an edge anyway? They play football 3 days a week. And the debates have preempted football before. Boo hoo.

Both will air, they're on different channels.

The debate commission should not have scheduled a debate to conflict with an NFL game, that just gives people like Trump an excuse not to attend. Monday Night Football has been on for more than 40 years now, the commission should have known this. Sunday Night Football & Thursday Night Football has been around since 2006.

The 2016 NFL schedule didn't need to come out before the debates were scheduled; the commission should expect that the NFL would continue to play games on nights they normally would play games.

What a fucked up country where football is considered more important than your election.

Now Hockey of course yes sure, but football?? :p

Plus who watches this stuff live anyway? Doesn't everybody watch just the highlights or watch it days afterwards?

The debate commission should not have scheduled a debate to conflict with an NFL game, that just gives people like Trump an excuse not to attend. Monday Night Football has been on for more than 40 years now, the commission should have known this. Sunday Night Football & Thursday Night Football has been around since 2006.

The 2016 NFL schedule didn't need to come out before the debates were scheduled; the commission should expect that the NFL would continue to play games on nights they normally would play games.

What a fucked up country where football is considered more important than your election.

Now Hockey of course yes sure, but football?? :p

Plus who watches this stuff live anyway? Doesn't everybody watch just the highlights or watch it days afterwards?

This is a country that elected W. Trump is the nominee of a major party. Gary Johnson, a 3rd party candidate, is more qualified than the Republican nominee. Johnson is a 2 term governor of New Mexico, Trump is a reality TV star that has never held elected office. Wasn't the fucked up part already clear? :wink:

If people only watched highlights, how would DirecTV ever get people to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket? Why would ESPN, FOX, NBC, and CBS pay the NFL to air the games live on TV? Why would advertisers pay to run their ads during said games, and even more for playoff games?

If people only watched highlights, how would DirecTV ever get people to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket? Why would ESPN, FOX, NBC, and CBS pay the NFL to air the games live on TV? Why would advertisers pay to run their ads during said games, and even more for playoff games?

I think he meant highlights of the debate.

I think he meant highlights of the debate.

You may be right, I thought he meant highlights of the game. I already know who I'm voting for. I live in a swing state and I don't like the Republicans, the choice for me is obvious.

If the debate isn't on ESPN, it's not being preempted. Preemption would mean that the debate wouldn't be aired in order to air the game. I highly doubt that the Entertainment & Sports Programming Network, will be airing any debates for political office. Both the game & the debates will air.

I simply think that it's a bad idea, in terms of having the most viewership, to put it on at the same time as Monday Night Football. Quite a few people are going to watch the game instead of the debates, or watch the game live, and (hopefully) DVR the debate. This is, IMO, a bad idea that was easy to predict.

There should be 3 debates for the Presidential candidates, and 1 for the VP candidates. Do I think Trump has a legitimate excuse to avoid the debate, no. Do I think he'll try and use this as an excuse, yes. When it comes to Trump, I'm no longer surprised at the lengths, or should I say depths, that he's willing to go to. I'm not sure he understands the concept of "you've gone too far".

The Super Bowl is in February, the election is in November. We also have early voting in many states. There's no conflict between those dates.

Who the fuck would have thought the Republican candidate for the goddamn President of the United States of America would cry and refuse to debate because a football game happened to be on at the same time???

"Oh, I'm only up for the most important political position on the fucking planet. I think I'm going to make up some shit about football games so that I don't have to debate."

What the fuck?

There's no need to discuss the schedule. It is what it is. He needs to stop being such a muffin handed little pussy.

Who the fuck would have thought the Republican candidate for the goddamn President of the United States of America would cry and refuse to debate because a football game happened to be on at the same time???

"Oh, I'm only up for the most important political position on the fucking planet. I think I'm going to make up some shit about football games so that I don't have to debate."

What the fuck?

There's no need to discuss the schedule. It is what it is. He needs to stop being such a muffin handed little pussy.

It doesn't sound like he's the one crying.

He is playing the victim card an awful lot. This isn't usually a good strategy as people like heroes, not victims.

What the fuck?

I don't think he has a good excuse not to debate either. If he were dead or in the ICU I'd consider those legitimate excuses. I think he's trying to use this as a way to argue that the system is rigged, so he shouldn't have to do what's expected of other candidates. So far he's been able to get away with things that should have destroyed his candidacy.

I do think that if he debates HRC she will beat him. He's looking to set up an excuse not to.

Rhea said:
^^That. What a bunch of hooey. The people who will watch football instead of the debate are largely Trump voters already, and would not be swayed no matter what occurs in the debate. So Trump won't lose anything due to this trumped up "conflict".

Sometimes more important things come up, and they need to take precedence. Besides, the regular season is nothing but an overdone round robin anyway.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Sometimes more important things come up, and they need to take precedence. Besides, the regular season is nothing but an overdone round robin anyway.

Actually more of a war of attrition, which results in hundreds of injuries that often dictate the end result.

I think Trump will debate once, then find any excuse not to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom