• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Windows update misery

Philos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Folks,

Windows 10 updates have drastically slowed my computer. I'm sick of these update problems!

Have a 'quick startup' programme but don't know which lines to disable and still have the computer running OK. Start up time is 2.5 minutes at the moment with hundreds of lines kicking in.

Is there an easy answer?

A.

Folks,

Windows 10 updates have drastically slowed my computer. I'm sick of these update problems!

Have a 'quick startup' programme but don't know which lines to disable and still have the computer running OK. Start up time is 2.5 minutes at the moment with hundreds of lines kicking in.

Is there an easy answer?

A.

Linux.

These updates were noticeably bad when they first released Windows 10, but after a bunch of complaints they seem to have mostly rectified the problem.

Unfortunately, they occasionally do still have to make updates to the OS, so I suspect what you're experiencing will only be temporary before the speed quickens again.

My computer was slow because the processor was old and slow. Changing that made the difference. The last thing I did was turned off the Wi-Fi, which was screwing with my connectivity at startup. All seems good now, despite recent updates.

My computer was slow because the processor was old and slow. Changing that made the difference. The last thing I did was turned off the Wi-Fi, which was screwing with my connectivity at startup. All seems good now, despite recent updates.

Yea, that'll do it too. I have both a three year old laptop, as well as brand new PC running Windows 10, and the PC has a lightning fast startup.

Folks,

Is there an easy answer?

A.

Linux.

I'd caution against this.

Switching to Linux because of slow boot times might be over-kill. If the bad boot times were persistent maybe not such a bad idea, but I doubt they will be.

For an advanced user, Linux may be worth it, but the advantage of Microsoft is that support of their system is owned by them, and not you. If something doesn't work, it's on them to fix it. If you use linux and something doesn't work, that's your problem.

You might get a headache here and there with Microsoft, but you'll never have to deal with it yourself.

Linux has its own headaches. I have been running Mageia 5, but it has reached end of life. No more security updates, the software repositories have been locked so I can no longer use them to download and install software. I am looking at Gentoo, which is a rolling release so I don't have to install and start over every two years or so. But Gentoo is a right bitch to install. But once installed I need not longer fear end of life. Yes, old computers may have problems, but even new systems can be slow unless you get something built for speed. I have an AMD system with 8 cores, 8 gigs of memory and a decent GPU. It is much faster then my brother's brand new commodity Dell system. Ain't no cheap and easy way out any more. All systems are churning. Windows, Linux with problems of KDE and Gnome regressing, Apple's unfriendly hardware systems. Big changes, not all of them good in the Browser world.

Once I have basic Gentoo installed, I will look at using Virtual Box, so I can play with various OSs and be less dependent on any one of them. I can even run my old Windows 7 and Office 2007 in a VM and not care if it is no longer supported officially.

One big problem is that OS's are getting bigger, web browsers are getting bloated and some websites use lots of memory. Running an old machine with 2 gigabytes memory is going to be slow. Wimpy GPUs will drag everything down. SSDs help a lot but are still expensive.

It is all a pain in the butt any more.

The way Microsoft tried to cram Windows 10 down our throats strongly suggests it's to be avoided for as long as possible.

I'm happy with Linux. Had a few minor issues but otherwise works well. I'd never go back to Windows.

Win10 was the worst, beyond bad. Win8 a bit better, but not much. I didn't mind XP.

I gotta be honest, I didn't like Windows 10 when it was first pushed out, but the experience I have now is really not too bad. It just seems like they pushed it out earlier than they should have and had to spend a couple months updating it too consistently.

All things being equal, I'd probably rather use Linux, but not enough real motivation to switch these days.

Folks,

Thanks for all the replies. Yes Win 10 has speeded up after a few restarts. I would really like a way of stripping out loads of background stuff that runs on my laptops/pc but I have no idea WTF any of it means. I do know a guy who has helped me before, by just clearing the lot and reinstalling. Thing is, I think that the little bits creep back in like mice in the undercroft!!

A.

Back
Top Bottom