• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

Yes. Does not change the fact that the professor is a self-hating racist.

Why should white people, but not anybody else, have to give up their identity?
Let's try this on for size: "The only way then for black people to become part of America (or Europe) is to not exist as black people anymore."

If the goal is to dismantle white supremacy, and white supremacy is white culture
How is this not a racist statement?

… then the goal has to be to dismantle white culture and ultimately white people themselves.

An inherently racist statement. Note that they are not saying to dismantle the concept of race. No, they are singling out white people for "dismantlement". That is racist.

The professor finds merit in the view that the concept of 'whiteness' must cease to exist in order for it to no longer be a barrier to white people's full integration in Africa. There's no self hatred in that. But if you think there is, are you proposing that as a definition of 'woke'?

It is completely self-hating and racist, as is his violent language about "castration of whiteness". That you defend this shows how extreme you yourself are on race issues.

What about the peoples of Asia, of Pacifica, the indigenous peoples of the Americas, etc? Where does he include them in his scheme of global improvement?

Anecdotes to attack principles.

The tactic of the dishonest lockstep right.

if an anecdote is accurate, and it contradicts the "principle", the principle is at fault, and it is an example of bias and/ or intellectual laziness to suppose otherwise. One cannot simply handwave an anecdote away by pointing out it is an anecdote.
I have seen this again and again in my nearly 70 years of existence. The principles of fundamentalist Christianity, the principles of Freudianism, the principles of Marxism, the principles of laissez-faire capitalism, for example, all clung too by true believers or wishful thinkers despite contradictory anecdotes.

Anecdotal and meaningless.

Here we have a real widespread problem:

Poll: Two-thirds of Republicans still think the 2020 election was rigged

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-two-thirds-of-republicans-still-think-the-2020-election-was-rigged-165934695.html

deflect, deflect

Pointing out the difference between a rare individual the right does not understand on the left and millions of clearly deluded dangerous people on the right is not a deflection.

It is putting things in perspective.

Something crazies on the right don't like.

if an anecdote is accurate, and it contradicts the "principle", the principle is at fault, and it is an example of bias and/ or intellectual laziness to suppose otherwise. One cannot simply handwave an anecdote away by pointing out it is an anecdote.
I have seen this again and again in my nearly 70 years of existence. The principles of fundamentalist Christianity, the principles of Freudianism, the principles of Marxism, the principles of laissez-faire capitalism, for example, all clung too by true believers or wishful thinkers despite contradictory anecdotes.

General conclusions cannot be made from rare anecdotes.

And when the rare anecdotes are actually looked at all you have are misunderstandings on the part of sheep on the right.

And when the rare anecdotes are actually looked at all you have are misunderstandings on the part of sheep on the right.

Well, to be fair, it has to be frustrating when none of the things people accuse you of have true symmetry, and you're just being shitty, but you don't want to have to stop.

Well, to be fair, it has to be frustrating when none of the things people accuse you of have true symmetry, and you're just being shitty, but you don't want to have to stop.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

Today there is no symmetry.

You have rare crazies on the left and millions of crazies on the right.

The right has moved off the spectrum. It is not a political party with any goals. It is just a servant to the desires of wealth that has no morality or concern for society as a whole.

The right is filled with anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers.

It is more than deluded. It is literally killing people.

He quietly knelt during the national anthem.

Anybody who has a problem with it is a sick hyper-authoritarian scumbag.

And now the NFL doesn't want to pay him enough to get him to play.

I don't care about any of this. It's the Wokesters who seem upset. I see them as the sick hyper-authoritarian scumbags. YMMV
Tom

The NFL blackballed him because almost all the owners are old white men.

His problem was that he played politics instead of just football. Any controversial message would have been a problem no matter where the owners stood on that position.

This, to me, is kinda the exemplar of Woke.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAr6LYC-xpE[/YOUTUBE]

It's sorta like this:

f704e459d5d7c03e9c6c32cf32a0ce1d.jpg

And is perhaps, best explained by this:

E7nCpTEWYAMdq8Z

His problem was that he played politics instead of just football. Any controversial message would have been a problem no matter where the owners stood on that position.

He wasn't playing politics. He was playing football. He expressed an opinion quietly and respectfully. It was an opinion the rightwingers didn't want to hear so they raised a huge stink and scared off potential employers.

Kaepernick knew going down on one knee during the anthem was likely to result in some pretty stiff consequences up to and including the end of his career, which is why he's admired for having courage as well as convictions. What I'd like to know is, is he woke?

He's not considered white in American culture, wasn't being arrogant or overbearing, and appears to be very sincere. He only seems to fit the first definition of 'woke' but according to DrZoidberg the first definition isn't definitive.

It's sorta like this:

E7nCpTEWYAMdq8Z

1. aware of, and concerned about, social issues such as racism and social justice

2. smugly arrogant, fatuous, and overbearing, especially when expounding on the topic of social justice

3. people who call out people who are too lazy to even try to remember correct names and terms aka Miss Manners wannabes

4. white arrogance

5. a cynical power tactic for gaining status.

6. members of a group engaged in public shaming and mob violence

How dare that black man have a political opinion!

Doesn't he know he is just supposed to dance and smile despite gross injustice and widespread racism in the police and "justice" system?

He quietly knelt.

If a person has a problem with it they are simply a disturbed racist on the side of widespread racism and part of the problem he was protesting.

It's sorta like this:

E7nCpTEWYAMdq8Z

1. aware of, and concerned about, social issues such as racism and social justice

2. smugly arrogant, fatuous, and overbearing, especially when expounding on the topic of social justice

3. people who call out people who are too lazy to even try to remember correct names and terms aka Miss Manners wannabes

4. white arrogance

The free speech problem on university campuses is likely in large part due to declining admission standards.

Cognitive ability is a powerful predictor of political tolerance

Cognitive ability was the single strongest predictor of political tolerance, with larger effects than education, openness to experience, ideology, and threat. The cognitively demanding nature of tolerance judgments was further supported by results showing cognitive ability predicted tolerance best when extending such tolerance was hardest.

The free speech problem on university campuses is likely in large part due to declining admission standards.

Cognitive ability was the single strongest predictor of political tolerance, with larger effects than education, openness to experience, ideology, and threat. The cognitively demanding nature of tolerance judgments was further supported by results showing cognitive ability predicted tolerance best when extending such tolerance was hardest.

woke

/wōk/

4. white arrogance

7. a dog whistle term used to disparage liberals protesting racism

He wasn't playing politics. He was playing football. He expressed an opinion quietly and respectfully.

He expressed an opinion at his place of work, while wearing his work uniform. He should have expressed his opinions (i.e. that police and prisons should be abolished etc.) on his own time.

which is why he's admired for having courage as well as convictions.
What "courage"? He was a spoiled multimillionaire and he never jeopardized that status.

What I'd like to know is, is he woke?
Yes, he is "woke".

He's not considered white in American culture,
Which is a big plus in woke circles.

wasn't being arrogant or overbearing, and appears to be very sincere. He only seems to fit the first definition of 'woke'

He also fits several planks of the working definition I offered.
Excessive involvement in his understanding of "social justice"? Check.
Twisted understanding of said "social justice"? He thinks robber and stabbist Mario Woods and cop-killer Wesley Cook are some kind of victims and that police and prisons should be abolished. So definite check.

Imagine that, Fox News sensationally misrepresented a story

Did not. The guy hates white people, as does the Afrikaner he approvingly quotes.

Note that the university (being a Catholic one) was only defending him stating that he did not mean the suicide (being against the Catechism) part literally. They did not even attempt to defend him on his anti-white racism, because they can't.

woke

/wōk/

4. white arrogance

7. a dog whistle term used to disparage liberals protesting racism

Yeah, the result of lower admission standards seems right.

Bullshit. The term was around for decades before Ferguson.

The Ferguson insurrectionists did not invent it, but they certainly popularized it. Before then, it was an obscure term, but with the Ferguson riots, it exploded in use.

It was only after Ferguson that the right wing latched onto it and decided to turn it around and make it an insult against anyone on the left with whom they do not agree on social issues.

You are missing a step here. Between the term being an obscure one and it being one used to ridicule the lunatic left, it was taken up by black extremists rioting in Ferguson, which led to it becoming a well-known word.

The revisionist history is strong in you, Derec.

Nope. With you. The way you tell it, it was the so-called "right wing" that took up an obscure term from the 60s to ridicule the far left, instead of the "right wing" taking up a term that was already taken up by far-left Ferguson rioters and their supporters.

He expressed an opinion at his place of work, while wearing his work uniform. He should have expressed his opinions (i.e. that police and prisons should be abolished etc.) on his own time.

What "courage"? He was a spoiled multimillionaire and he never jeopardized that status.

What I'd like to know is, is he woke?
Yes, he is "woke".

He's not considered white in American culture,
Which is a big plus in woke circles.

wasn't being arrogant or overbearing, and appears to be very sincere. He only seems to fit the first definition of 'woke'

He also fits several planks of the working definition I offered.
Excessive involvement in his understanding of "social justice"? Check.
Twisted understanding of said "social justice"? He thinks robber and stabbist Mario Woods and cop-killer Wesley Cook are some kind of victims and that police and prisons should be abolished. So definite check.

You have offered no evidence he thinks those things, only your own suppositions.

I'm not going to derail this thread into discussion of Mario Woods. But I will remind you of our previous discussion in which you kept repeating why you thought Woods deserved to be shot but were utterly unable to say when it became necessary for the cops to shoot him. Believing that people should not be needlessly shot isn't a twisted understanding of social justice, it's the regular straightforward kind.

Anywy, wrt Kaepernick, thank you for stating your opinion that he is 'woke'. I wonder what you think makes his involvement in #BLM excessive, seeing as how he's black and can reasonably be supposed to believe his life matters.

Back
Top Bottom