• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Workplace Dress Codes

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
How would you word a dress code policy if you wanted to maintain an image in any of the following ways? Because different workplace have different intended images, please mention which image you’re talking about, or specify a new image for your own dress code.

How would you word the policy and how would you word the justification for the policy? Or how would you describe the image you think you want to portray>

1. An image that tells your customers/clients that you are knowledgeable, competent and they are safe in your hands. Like a bank, or a law firm or something where they have to trust you. Maybe a civil engineering firm or government contractor?
  2. An image that tells your customers you are serious thinkers and can solve deeply complex problems. Like a think tank or architecture firm maybe?
  3. A Federal office. Whatever image you think a federal office should portray?
  4. A manufacturing company. Not the dress code for safety, but for the rugs area.
  5. A high school
  6. Other?

Just curious. Dress codes are an interesting thing.

Variously, "Smart casual" or "businesswear". Basically just prescribe an existing style convention.

The workers will form a consensus on what this means for their office, and can be influenced by examples set by management and senior workers.

I work in a federal office with lawyers, data scientists and other professionals and it's pretty easy (especially for men) to see how we are expected to present ourselves. There are rebels: for instance, one IT support guy wears baggy activewear.

We have a uniform; Literally the only things I wear at work that are not provided by (and property of) my employer, are my underpants and my spectacles.

We have a six page pamphlet that details exactly how the uniform is to be worn; There are a number of different choices (trousers can be long or short, with or without "cargo" pockets, for example), but certain combinations are not permitted - if you wear short trousers, you are expected to wear long socks.

A colleague was recently told off for wearing a hat that was similar to one of the uniform options, but not identical (his was of higher quality than the one provided).

Despite all of this, many of my colleagues still manage to look pretty scruffy; I suspect as a deliberate backlash against the enforced uniformity.

This is the only outfit I ever seem to wear. Even the wristwatch is council issued.

5fb227a3-4398-45bb-90a2-4ed4956ef3d7.jpeg

I work in a federal office with lawyers, data scientists and other professionals and it's pretty easy (especially for men) to see how we are expected to present ourselves. There are rebels: for instance, one IT support guy wears baggy activewear.
Yup, us IT guys can get away with a lot. Also, there's some reason for it--while my job is code I have ended up on the floor crawling around under desks several times. A large outfit might have separate people to do that sort of thing, but when the computer is acting up sometimes it's hardware and somebody has to go to that hardware even if it's an awkward place.

Many attorneys I know wear suits: jacket, slacks, buttoned shirt ( or equivalent for women who do perhaps have different options) at least for court appearances. Depending on the type of practice, such attire may be the default for non-court days as well.

In my local banks, most public facing individuals wear ‘business casual’ but slightly more casual than business. Bank officers wear more of the typical business uniform: suit and tie, or jewelry for the women. Local government, assuming non-uniformed personnel: much the same: business casual, with higher ranking persons wearing suits or at least jackets, slacks, button down shirt.

Other professionals often wear clothing specific to their profession, especially in health care or law enforcement. Doctors usually wear a dress shirt/tie or jewelry under lab coats unless they are performing procedures wearing scrubs, which are typically color coded to differentiate between docs , nursing staff, CNAs, lab people, etc. depending on assignment, lab coats. When I worked in a lab, the dress code was ‘ business casual’ under our lab coats. Just before I retired, they began to allow for scrubs —under lab coats.

Teachers Pre-K-12: some version of business casual. Those whose teaching assignment might include floor time with young children, or lab work or studio work, etc. wear a version that allows them freedom of movement, etc. Principals and counselors, and office staff: more likely to wear suit/jacket. university professors: depends on the university. I’ve attended one where faculty were expected to wear jacket and tie /female equivalent, lab scientists with lab coats over their shirt and tie.

Most other professionals that I encounter in my very small midwestern city wear some version of business casual: nice slacks, a button shirt for men, something along the same lines for women. Tradespeople wear ‘work clothes’ which usually are jeans or similar canvas type pants or occasionally overalls.

Generally speaking, more formal attire ( suit and tie) convey higher status/more authority.

I cannot emphasize enough that clean clothing in good condition that is sufficiently modest is heavily stressed in all occupations.

Other professionals often wear clothing specific to their profession, especially in health care or law enforcement. Doctors usually wear a dress shirt/tie or jewelry under lab coats unless they are performing procedures wearing scrubs, which are typically color coded to differentiate between docs , nursing staff, CNAs, lab people, etc. depending on assignment, lab coats. When I worked in a lab, the dress code was ‘ business casual’ under our lab coats. Just before I retired, they began to allow for scrubs —under lab coats.
When I started work in the lab we were required to buy our own white lab coats. Some time later they went to disposable blue paper coats.

When I started work in the lab we were required to buy our own white lab coats. Some time later they went to disposable blue paper coats.
Ah, I was fortunate: there was a supply of clean lab coats we could/were required to grab—and to deposit for cleaning as needed.

As the lab was starting to switch to scrubs, people who chose scrubs had to purchase their own in a specific color.

Back
Top Bottom