• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Yale students allowed to skip midterm test because of Trump win

skepticalbip

Contributor
Searching for reality along the long and winding r
Basic Beliefs
Everything we know is wrong (to some degree)
If students are so distraught that they can't take a test, how the hell are they going to function when they get out in the real world?

It was a fucking election. We have them every two years with about half of the voters disappointed in every election. Plus there are much more traumatic events than this that happen all the time.

Personally, I was a student when Kennedy was assassinated. Classes were suspended for the rest of the day but we were back taking tests the next day.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/yale-professor-lets-students-skip-test-in-wake-of-trump-victory/

ETA:
Would Yale have allowed Trump supporters in the class to skip the test if Clinton had won?

Last edited:
If students are so distraught that they can't take a test, how the hell are they going to function when they get out in the real world?

It was a fucking election. We have them every two years with about half of the voters disappointed in every election. Plus there are much more traumatic events than this that happen all the time.

Personally, I was a student when Kennedy was assassinated. Classes were suspended for the rest of the day but we were back taking tests the next day.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/yale-professor-lets-students-skip-test-in-wake-of-trump-victory/

ETA:
Would Yale have allowed Trump supporters in the class to skip the test if Clinton had won?

I don't think students are allowed to admit to be Trump supporters. Universities must be safe spaces after all.

How wasteful. Right now, it's even more important to focus. The professors should be handing out academic pitchforks instead.

ETA:

I think the idea is if you skip testing that gives them time to protest? I think?

There is no such thing as the "real world".

There is the world we create. And we have allowed people like Trump to create a pretty cold and uncaring world.

In a decent world people are allowed time to grieve after great tragedy.

ETA:

Meh. Same thing when kids are allowed to skip school when a town favorite sports team wins a - what? A SOOPER game?

There is the world we create. And we have allowed people like Trump to create a pretty cold and uncaring world.

You really do need to get a life by discovering that there is a hell of a lot more to the world than politics. It must be an awfully dismal existence to think that happiness depends on what politician gets elected. My candidate, Johnson, didn't win either but WTF I didn't expect him to and it ain't the end of the world

ETA:

Meh. Same thing when kids are allowed to skip school when a town favorite sports team wins a - what? A SOOPER game?
But at least a school's sports team is part of the school so there is a little reason for the faculty to be involved. WTF is a university's involvement with which political party's candidate wins an election? Yale isn't a branch of the Democrat party is it?

You really do need to get a life by discovering that there is a hell of a lot more to the world than politics. It must be an awfully dismal existence to think that happiness depends on what politician gets elected. My candidate, Johnson, didn't win either but WTF I didn't expect him to and it ain't the end of the world

Well that's not something that can be absolute. Is there more to the world than politics when a local political figure signs a bill that lets a company dump its toxic waste into your drinking water causing your kid to develop a mental disability?

You really do need to get a life by discovering that there is a hell of a lot more to the world than politics. It must be an awfully dismal existence to think that happiness depends on what politician gets elected.

You are making a logical error. Just because he writes that one political event is a tragedy, doesn't mean he thinks most tragedies are political.

My candidate, Johnson, didn't win either but WTF I didn't expect him to and it ain't the end of the world

Since Johnson is closed to Trump, you must perceive Trump as a nazi.

If there was a destructive earthquake causing devastation then this would be okay. However this was a political earthquake and while it is up to the students, but the staff should separate education from state and politics.

If there was a destructive earthquake causing devastation then this would be okay. However this was a political earthquake and while it is up to the students, but the staff should separate education from state and politics.

I think in some situations it even makes sense for the professors to get politically active, never mind merely giving kids a day off.

Why?

The problems in the world are power, not opinion.

When the climate change denying corporatists have complete control of the US government that is a problem. A problem for the whole world.

When some students get some time off that is not a problem for anyone.

Why?

The students can do what they want. However the duty of staff would be to all students, including those who don't want to get involved in politics. Those who want demonstrate are free to do so. Those who want to stay and do courses, it means the Staff have to be there for them. If 100% of the students wish to demonstrate, then it's good news for the staff who want to also demonstrate or have an extra day off. :)

My candidate, Johnson, didn't win either but WTF I didn't expect him to and it ain't the end of the world

:D Not at all. I perceive Trump as a real estate magnate turned TV personality turned politician. At least as far as politicians go, he is the only one I know that has ever actually earned any money that wasn't sucked out of tax payers' wallets.

I have no idea what he will actually do in office but then neither does anyone else even though a hell of a lot of people want to scare the shit out of everyone with their predictions. But then he was a Democrat for most of his life and a big supporter of both Bill's presidential campaigns and Hillary's Senatorial campaign.

Last edited:

The students can do what they want. However the duty of staff would be to all students, including those who don't want to get involved in politics. Those who want demonstrate are free to do so. Those who want to stay and do courses, it means the Staff have to be there for them. If 100% of the students wish to demonstrate, then it's good news for the staff who want to also demonstrate or have an extra day off. :)

I disagree.

I think moral lessons are valid lessons.

When your country is put into the hands of somebody who clearly used authoritarian and racist and xenophobic tactics and was vigorously supported by the most vile hate groups it may be time for reflection.

For everybody.

:D Not at all. I perceive Trump as a real estate magnate turned TV personality turned politician. At least as far as politicians go, he is the only one I know that has ever actually earned any money that wasn't sucked out of tax payers' wallets.

I have no idea what he will actually do in office but then neither does anyone else even though a hell of a lot of people want to scare the shit out of everyone with their predictions. But then he was a Democrat for most of his life and a big supporter of both Bill's presidential campaigns and Hillary's Senatorial campaign.

Nevermind dumb question I found my answer to.

ETA:

Yale should have gone the path of Univ of Pennsylvania instead. Coloring books and puppies! Yay!:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/11/upenn-created-a-post-election-safe-space
Ivy League students feeling triggered by Trump's victory on Tuesday are in luck: the University of Pennsylvania has a created a "breathing" space for them to do some coloring, hug a puppy, and recuperate.

UPenn's Fisher Hassenfeld College House hosted the event, according to The Statesman.

Student Daniel Tancredi reported that the people who attended were "fearful" about the results of the election.

""For the most part, students just hung out and ate snacks and made small talk," Tancredi told The College Fix. "Of course, that was in addition to coloring and playing with the animals."

Yes, there was a puppy and cat on-hand to provide therapeutic cuddling for shell-shocked students.

Administrators had also printed out sheets of paper from a coloring book. The pages contained positive messages for students to color.

This is just a rumor at this point, but I understand some students requested pacifiers and "blankies".

One professor, in one class.

WHO THE FUCK CARES?

My god people pull your heads out of your assess. This is a non-issue.

_______

And we have had several physical assaults against international, minority, and LBGT students by white males that were motivated explicitly by the person attacking them because of their race, national origin, and sexual orientation.

Recently a Saudi National was killed at a nearby campus for being a Muslim.

Our students have every reason to be in fear right now.

Back
Top Bottom