• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Yale students allowed to skip midterm test because of Trump win

A college that treats one side winning as some sort of tragedy is not a college that is inclusive and tolerant of other people's views.

I shudder for the lack of diversity.

Love trumps hate.

A college that treats one side winning as some sort of tragedy is not a college that is inclusive and tolerant of other people's views.

I shudder for the lack of diversity.

Love trumps hate.

So to you college means complete ignorance and saying there is no problem when a climate change denier and friend to racists is elected?

If students are so distraught that they can't take a test, how the hell are they going to function when they get out in the real world?

It was a fucking election. We have them every two years with about half of the voters disappointed in every election. Plus there are much more traumatic events than this that happen all the time.

Personally, I was a student when Kennedy was assassinated. Classes were suspended for the rest of the day but we were back taking tests the next day.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/yale-professor-lets-students-skip-test-in-wake-of-trump-victory/

ETA:
Would Yale have allowed Trump supporters in the class to skip the test if Clinton had won?
If you had bothered to read your own link, this was an individual professor, not a school policy. Professors are usually given the latitude to structure their course and grading how they wish. In this case, the professor is allowing students to take the test if they wish, and the professor said he will calculate their final grade with the test score and without the test score, and choose the higher result. In essence, he is allowing them to drop their lowest score - a protocol that is not uncommon.

As far as your observation about traumatic events, does it apply to those voters who voted for Trump because they are upset over "political correctness"?

Since Johnson is closed to Trump, you must perceive Trump as a nazi.
:D Not at all. I perceive Trump as a real estate magnate turned TV personality turned politician. At least as far as politicians go, he is the only one I know that has ever actually earned any money that wasn't sucked out of tax payers' wallets.

So you've never heard of Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George Bush, or Barack Obama?

And conversely because nearly all businesses charge taxpayers as well as non-taxpayers, even Trump the con-man lives off of sucking dollars out of the wallets of taxpayers.

The students can do what they want. However the duty of staff would be to all students, including those who don't want to get involved in politics. Those who want demonstrate are free to do so. Those who want to stay and do courses, it means the Staff have to be there for them. If 100% of the students wish to demonstrate, then it's good news for the staff who want to also demonstrate or have an extra day off. :)

I disagree.

I think moral lessons are valid lessons.

When your country is put into the hands of somebody who clearly used authoritarian and racist and xenophobic tactics and was vigorously supported by the most vile hate groups it may be time for reflection.

everybody.

The right to protest is inalienable but so is the right not to protest. The students who don't want to join shouldn't have to lose out on studies (if they consider this to be the case).

The professors concerned may be able to assign a stand-in or delay lessons to another day where lectures are not normally given. In such instances there's no problem with them taking time off class.

Is only allowing legal migrants in the country a 'racist' thing?

You really do need to get a life by discovering that there is a hell of a lot more to the world than politics. It must be an awfully dismal existence to think that happiness depends on what politician gets elected. My candidate, Johnson, didn't win either but WTF I didn't expect him to and it ain't the end of the world

Well that's not something that can be absolute. Is there more to the world than politics when a local political figure signs a bill that lets a company dump its toxic waste into your drinking water causing your kid to develop a mental disability?

"There's more to life than politics" = "completely ignore all politics"???

I disagree.

I think moral lessons are valid lessons.

When your country is put into the hands of somebody who clearly used authoritarian and racist and xenophobic tactics and was vigorously supported by the most vile hate groups it may be time for reflection.

everybody.

The right to protest is inalienable but so is the right not to protest. The students who don't want to join shouldn't have to lose out on studies (if they consider this to be the case).

The professors concerned may be able to assign a stand-in or delay lessons to another day where lectures are not normally given. In such instances there's no problem with them taking time off class.

Is only allowing legal migrants in the country a 'racist' thing?

Now this seems a completely manufactured gripe.

In US society giving people time off with no penalty is not considered a harm.

This is pathetic, and yet another clear demonstration that America's youth has been made weak by continuous coddling and "everybody gets a trophy" philosophy. Safe spaces, trigger warnings, and now this. Somebody needs to tell them to grow the hell up or are their parents are going to start calling employers who don't hire them after an interview. Seriously, things have changed. When I was in my undergrad about 15 years ago, one of my room mates died in our shared home and none of the other room mates got time off of school.

This is pathetic, and yet another clear demonstration that America's youth has been made weak by continuous coddling and "everybody gets a trophy" philosophy. Safe spaces, trigger warnings, and now this. Somebody needs to tell them to grow the hell up or are their parents are going to start calling employers who don't hire them after an interview. Seriously, things have changed. When I was in my undergrad about 15 years ago, one of my room mates died in our shared home and none of the other room mates got time off of school.

What you call "weak" I call civilized.

And a dog eat dog mentality is uncivilized, primitive.

Failure to provide trigger warnings and safe spaces is uncivilized and primitive? Not coddling people is dog eat dog?

What you call coddling I call civilized behavior.

What the world needs is gentler less aggressive humans.

To deny it is insanity.

And you walked barefoot in the snow and up hill both ways to class.

You can have compassion without being so weak that you need time off because somebody you don't like won an election. Cry at home if you want, then stand up and move forward. Galvanize and push for reform in the Democratic party or start running for office yourself. Maybe run for school board or student council or something. Don't just curl up in a ball and whimper. Pathetic.

You can have compassion without being so weak that you need time off because somebody you don't like won an election. Cry at home if you want, then stand up and move forward. Galvanize and push for reform in the Democratic party or start running for office yourself. Maybe run for school board or student council or something. Don't just curl up in a ball and whimper. Pathetic.
One professor lets students opt out of taking a test and some people overreact as if it is the end of civilization as we know it. Makes one wonder who exactly the snowflakes are.

I coddle my 3 year old daughter, because she is 3. Is that what you want at large? Who will be the grown ups in your utopia?

Do you really understand what safe spaces and trigger warnings are?

If I was a college student today, I would personally demand a safe space and a trigger warning every time any progressive speaker comes to campus. I would do it to confuse those who provide safe spaces and trigger warnings. They must provide them because someone is asking for them, but I'm demanding it for something they consider completely safe and non-triggerable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom