• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Youtube taking steps to disable ad blockers

Jayjay

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
An accurate worldview or philosophy

Currently, it seems to be just a test. Haven't noticed it myself. But I'm a heavy youtube user, and if my ad blocker stops working, I'll be royally pissed. This could lead to an arms-race between google and ad-block extensions, with the latter trying to counter-act detection mechanisms while the former tries to find new ways to force ads down our throats.

On the other hand, I have wondered before why Google has allowed ad-blockers this long. I think it might be because the number of users tech-savvy-enough to use them hasn't been high enough. Sure it's annoying to all the users, but from business-point-of-view it makes zero sense to allow users to opt out of ads, when your entire revenue model is based on advertising.

Currently, it seems to be just a test. Haven't noticed it myself. But I'm a heavy youtube user, and if my ad blocker stops working, I'll be royally pissed. This could lead to an arms-race between google and ad-block extensions, with the latter trying to counter-act detection mechanisms while the former tries to find new ways to force ads down our throats.

On the other hand, I have wondered before why Google has allowed ad-blockers this long. I think it might be because the number of users tech-savvy-enough to use them hasn't been high enough. Sure it's annoying to all the users, but from business-point-of-view it makes zero sense to allow users to opt out of ads, when your entire revenue model is based on advertising.
The advertising industry is far better at selling the idea of advertising than they are at selling the products they're being paid to market.

From a business point of view it makes zero sense to force users to watch ads for stuff they're never going to buy, or to watch the same ad over and over again ad nauseam.

Advertising agencies like to pretend that numbers of views are a good proxy for increased ordering of products, but there's little reason to accept that this is true, and every reason to expect that it is false in many situations.

The famous ads that everyone remembers, and that even pass into popular culture, are usually so bad at selling products that the people who repeat the catchphrases or hum the jingles are often unable to recall the specific product being sold, and in many cases will link the misremembered advertising to a competitor's product.

There's a huge incentive for YouTube (or TV stations, for that matter) to simply bury viewers in as many ads as they will tolerate; Each ad shown represents money going from the advertiser to the broadcaster. But the missing link is whether they represent money going from the viewer to the advertiser - that's the service the advertiser wants to buy.

McDonalds would be much happier if their ad was seen ten times per viewer per week, leading to each viewer buying one more Big Mac, than with their ad being seen a hundred times per viewer per week, but not increasing Big Mac sales at all.

But YouTube gets paid ten times as much in the latter case, so guess how many ads you'll need to endure?

The whole system is broken; It's basically a big scam, with advertising agencies collecting money for selling something that almost certainly doesn't always exist. They get away with it, because it's impossible to separate the utterly ineffective advertising from the effective part of the business; We know that seeing ads increases our likelihood of buying something, but there's little evidence that this effect is still working the tenth, hundredth or thousandth time that an ad is imposed upon us.

Indeed, there's a real possibility that the impact of multiple viewings, and/or of intrusive and unwelcome pop-up ads or ads that block access to stuff we want to view, could leave viewers less inclined to a favourable opinion about the product being advertised.

Digital platforms like Google or Meta can suck up all most of the advertising dollars because they can, at least in theory, prove that the user clicks the links in the ads, thereby providing proof that they provide some value. I suppose in theory, the company can see how many of these clicks lead to sales and make some sort of guesstimate how effective their advertising dollars were. They can't do this with tv, radio or billboards.

Babs!!!
I was worried about you.
Presumably you’re too old for conscription and not high profile enough to be a political target, but ever since your boss got himself embarrassed by his hired thug, you’ve been kinda subdued. Hope it’s a beautiful day of Mother Russia-style freedom where you are!
🤗

There have been several Youtube ad blockers around. One was Vanced. But Youtube managed to block Vanced. A new version, Revanced is out that blocks ads. Android, Windows, Linux and Apple.

Why some companies will still pay for frequency of ads is beyond me. This has already been shown to be a waste of money to the point of being detrimental to the company in that it annoys existing customers. P&G and Unilever both found this to be true. They switched from frequency to targeted, decreasing ad cost and increasing revenue.

I look around my house and struggle to find a single item I can connect to an ad I've seen anywhere, ever. Well, there's the mac I'm using right now but I can assure you it was not Apple advertising that drove me to it but Windows Vista.

I started paying for ad free YouTube when I started using it much more on my television. I'm sure in time they will screw this up and start squeezing ads in somehow. Probably an inoffensive banner ad.

After Vanced was taken out I switched to watching Youtube in Brave. It's a near-perfect Youtube user experience: no ads, good UI, available on phone and desktop. Wonder how long it will last.

I have WebOS TVs which I've rooted and installed an ad-free Youtube app, but I hardly use it and it depends on an OS exploit that won't be around in future TVs.

I have WebOS TVs which I've rooted and installed an ad-free Youtube app, but I hardly use it and it depends on an OS exploit that won't be around in future TVs.
I am too timid to do that for an expensive bit of kit like a TV; My worry is that they might end up rooted.

;)

Back
Top Bottom