• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

Myths take a lot longer than 20 - 30 years to take root and become widespread 'belief'. Show us an ancient myth which developed within one lifetime.
The story of George Washington and the Cherry Tree was an invention by one biographer which ended up in textbooks until historians tried to track down the story and realized it was bogus.
Myths do not take a generation to 'take root.' Just look at Snopes.

Snopes?
Isnt Snopes an example of why myths can't gain traction when there are people around immediately challenging the claims?
Extraordinary claims can be scoffed at when there are still people alive who can say;
...Roman Census? WTF are talking about? There was never a @&#%! census. Nobody had to go to Bethlehem. What drugs are you taking dude!

Atheists and Christians who engage with Christianity to the degree that they enter debates about 'early myths' are the minority anyway.

In most cases any person's given ideology represents a specific strain that was passed down from parents, and is either accepted or rejected out of social context. Nothing to do with the actual Jesus besides the images and statues in Church, or any of the religion's early history.

I'd hazard a guess if I polled every Christian in the city I live, 99% couldn't tell me anything about the evolution of their religion. It's just a thing they were taught and they never thought about.

So Christian historians and scholars are irrelevant. Modern sociologists maybe less so.

The story of George Washington and the Cherry Tree was an invention by one biographer which ended up in textbooks until historians tried to track down the story and realized it was bogus.
Myths do not take a generation to 'take root.' Just look at Snopes.

Snopes?
Isnt Snopes an example of why myths can't gain traction when there are people around immediately challenging the claims?
I would say the exact opposite. The fact is that myths will gain traction unless someone goes to an extra effort to challenge them...

Atheists and Christians who engage with Christianity to the degree that they enter debates about 'early myths' are the minority anyway.

In most cases any person's given ideology represents a specific strain that was passed down from parents, and is either accepted or rejected out of social context. Nothing to do with the actual Jesus besides the images and statues in Church, or any of the religion's early history.

I'd hazard a guess if I polled every Christian in the city I live, 99% couldn't tell me anything about the evolution of their religion. It's just a thing they were taught and they never thought about.

So Christian historians and scholars are irrelevant. Modern sociologists maybe less so.

Yep. Good point.

And I don't understand the relevance of an appeal to stats about how many or how few Christians know about early Chirch history. Or why it matters that there were doctrinal disputes among early church founders.

If Bart Ehrman thinks it's some sort of 'gotcha' he's wrong. All it demonstrates is that people took the historical Jesus events very seriously - so seriously that there was often passionate disagreement.

But without Christ Crucified there is nothing to argue about.

Very commonly held myth? LOL

The bible itself clearly shows that there was division among Jesus' disciples as well as the other, wider circle of early church leaders.

I don't recall anything in the New Testament about a group of disciples who believed that there were 30 Gods, or that Jesus had a twin brother. There are divisions and then there are divisions.

Perhaps you have a different Bible than I do?

Very commonly held myth? LOL

The bible itself clearly shows that there was division among Jesus' disciples as well as the other, wider circle of early church leaders.

I don't recall anything in the New Testament about a group of disciples who believed that there were 30 Gods, or that Jesus had a twin brother. There are divisions and then there are divisions.

I was talking about stuff that IS in the bible

You are talking about stuff that ISNT.

Actually, I was talking about both. One group of Christians believed that there is one God. Another group of Christians believed that there were 30 Gods. Those are mutually exclusive beliefs; by definition, one or the other or both must be wrong.

Both groups had scriptures supporting their claim. Both groups have evidence on their side, using Lumpenproletariat's criterion that if a lot of people believe a thing then there must be something to it.

But only one of those groups had their scriptures canonized.

And I don't understand the relevance of an appeal to stats about how many or how few Christians know about early Chirch history. Or why it matters that there were doctrinal disputes among early church founders.
Lumpy's argument is that everyone who was anyone knew and believed the same stories and that's got to be evidence that the stories were true. But the fact is that there were all sorts of doctrines held by people who called themselves Christains. So it matters in that Lumpy's 'evidence' is false, thus his conclusions based on that evidence must be discounted.

Actually, I was talking about both.

There's a lot of stuff that isn't in the bible.
Bart Ehrman can attack that stuff if he wants.
I'll just stick to defending what it says. :)

...One group of Christians believed that there is one God. Another group of Christians believed that there were 30 Gods. Those are mutually exclusive beliefs; by definition, one or the other or both must be wrong.

Saul of Tarsus (Paul) held beliefs which were contrary to Christianity. He said so himself. (See 1st Timothy.) he called himself a blasphemer. The Jews used to allow visiting pagans to worship God in their Temple court of the Gentiles even if afterwards those pagans continued to hold polytheistic beliefs elsewhere.
The Old Testament is full of stories of Jews vacillating between paganism and the God of Abraham. (See Exodus 32)

...Both groups had scriptures supporting their claim. Both groups have evidence on their side, using Lumpenproletariat's criterion that if a lot of people believe a thing then there must be something to it.

Both groups believed God exists. Nuff said.

...But only one of those groups had their scriptures canonized.

Hmmm.
Let me see if I have it right. A majority of early Christians agree on what is scripturally harmonious and cannonical despite the existence of a minority of heretics.
Along comes Bart Ehrman complaining that's not fair. Why exclude contradictory 'gnostic' texts.
So the early church relents and says OK - everything can pass as divinely inspired cannon - and for the sake of unity lets just let anyone add stuff to the bible.

Now what is the modern atheist skeptic going to say about such a 'bible'?

*rolls eyes*

Hmmm.
Let me see if I have it right. A majority of early Christians agree on what is scripturally harmonious and cannonical despite the existence of a minority of heretics.
I don't think you have it right. There's no telling what the majority agreed upon during that chaotic time. It was later, when Constantine asked "What does it mean to be a Christain?" that might derived from popularity.

Along comes Bart Ehrman complaining that's not fair. Why exclude contradictory 'gnostic' texts.
No, i don't think that's what Ehrman is saying. He's exposing the various sects that considered themselves Christain, in the face of people who believe or assert that the bulk of Early CHristains practiced the same beliefs that are considered mainstream Christainity today.

The history you believe is based on the "appeal to popularity" as much as the Jesus miracle acts are. I.e., it was recorded because folks said it happened.

The evidence we have for this is greater than for many historical facts we routinely accept. Many facts are accepted on the authority of one source only. The only evidence for any historical facts are documents reporting them and which were written near to the time that the events allegedly happened.

This criterion rules out virtually all miracle claims, before modern times, which were ever made. Only the Jesus miracle stories are not ruled out by this criterion, while virtually all others are ruled out. (Maybe not 100%. And this rule may be only 99.9% correct, but close enough to be a good rule.)

See, this is a classic example of what I mean when I (rightly) accuse Lumpenproletariat of employing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy. First of all, there is often considerably more evidence for historical facts than just documents reporting them . . .

But it's only the documents which tell us what happened. The other "evidence" adds to it, but it's the documents which tell us the events that happened. And for most facts there is nothing but the documents.

Why won't you test this with an example of an historical fact you know. For any example, it's what they wrote in the documents that you rely on -- whatever the writer(s) said is what you believe is history, i.e., whatever they said happened. For almost any example you can offer it's the documents ONLY and nothing else -- you probably can't name a single exception.

Just give an example for us to consider. You won't, because it will prove the point that it's mainly the documents you rely on for the historical facts. If not, then you would give an example to show otherwise.

Obviously there are MILLIONS of historical facts based on documents only and not any other evidence whatever.

. . . reporting them which were written near to the time that the events allegedly happened.

Or even written 100 years later, 200 years later, 300 . . . The later-recorded facts are not necessarily ruled out. Sometimes these are the only source for facts that we accept. And yet you can't name an historical fact which is based solely on archaeology or artifacts and no documents. (Actually you might claim that a piece of pottery they turned up tells us that someone 1000 years ago handled this piece of pottery, if that can be called an "historical fact" -- nothing about the events, other than this one object being there at the time.)

Secondly, he inserts the irrelevant criterion "before modern times" which allows him to draw this bulls-eye around his favorite fairy tale.

It's not irrelevant that writing and publishing and printing is so much easier today. Obviously you can claim we have a dozen sources, or 2 or 3 dozen, for some televangelist today, or some Hindu guru, etc.

We can take these into account, and assess these claims, compare them to other cases. But it's important that before 1000 AD there are no published miracle legends other than the Jesus case. Why are there no others? Why is there only this one?

We can still make the comparison to modern cases, but simply counting how many sources we have for the story is not the same "evidence" today as for an event 1000 or 2000 years ago. Obviously with modern publishing there might be a dozen publications, but this does not mean the modern story is thus more credible than the one from 1000 or 2000 years ago simply because we have these extra sources.

You might argue that some modern case is more credible because it was checked by a modern investigator who verified it by interviewing the witnesses, etc., or in other ways. But the mere fact that there are more publications or websites today for this claim than there is for a case 1000 or 2000 years ago cannot be given as evidence for higher credibility.

You can't be so bone-headed as to fail to understand this distinction between the information for today's events vs. the information we have for events 1000 or 2000 years ago.

You have to compare those ancient events to other ancient events, so we can see if any one stands out from the others as more credible. And when this is done, we have to ask why we don't have a similar volume of written evidence for Apollonius of Tyana or for Hanina ben Dosa as we have for Jesus, who were all 1st-century reputed miracle-workers, and yet we have no 1st-century sources for Hanina or Apollonius whereas we have 4 (5) for Jesus.

Why are you having so much trouble admitting that we have more evidence for Jesus than we have for these other two contemporary reputed miracle-workers? Why can't you deal with this relevant question? and instead take so much glee in dragging out Joseph Smith or other modern figures for whom a vast publishing industry obviously provided the extra sources?

You cannot figure out why this is a false comparison?

The implication is that somehow human nature evidently completely changed between the period ill-defined as "before modern times" . . .

No, the implication clearly is that with modern publishing there can be far more "evidence" in the form of published accounts whipped out of the print shop than anything possible 1000 or 2000 years ago. It has nothing to do with "human nature" but with human technology which changes over the centuries and has changed the meaning today of "sources" for these facts. Today an event of interest for which there is some report or evidence is published widely, whereas for 1000/2000 years ago that same/similar event would be totally unrecorded and forgotten and lost to history.

. . . ill-defined as "before modern times" and whatever he arbitrarily calls "modern times."

The definition is very obvious: "modern times" means since the invention of printing or since the widespread establishment of publishing. And this doesn't mean any precise date -- we can roughly put the date at 1500, but 1600 or 1700 could also be used as the date. It is silly to quibble over this "definition" except that you are desperate to find a way to escape from your problem of trying to explain how it is that we have this unusually-high volume of written evidence for the Jesus miracle events and no comparable evidence for other cases of alleged miracle-workers or miracle legends.

In order to justify this exclusion an objective justification has to be offered.

The invention of printing is not something "objective"? New technology is not "objective"? More sources has no "objective" meaning? We have written sources telling us that something happened -- these documents, manuscripts are not "objective"? Those scrolls? They don't tell us something about what happened 2000 years ago? We don't use them to determine what happened? Past events are not "objective"? History is not "objective"? Again, your argument really is that no historical evidence is valid, no historical events are verified.

Isn't it history and past events and written accounts of past events that we're talking about? Why do we have so many more sources for modern events than we have for events of 1000 or 2000 years ago? Is this rocket science? You can't figure it out that 2000 years ago they didn't write down as much stuff as we do today? Why are you having trouble figuring this out?

The ancient events DID happen, even though we have only a fraction of the sources telling us of those events. The chance that none of it happened is not increased by the extremely lower quantity of sources, as your logic suggests.

We have no way to determine how many accounts of miracle-working events were written in antiquity that have failed to survive.

We don't need to determine this. We know definitely that many claims were made which were never recorded, and many events (like probably 99.99999% of them) were never recorded, and much also was written down which still did not survive because it wasn't copied. We don't need to know "how many accounts" did not survive. It might have been a thousand, a million, billion, etc. Whatever this number is, it does not change the point that we know most documents perished, and there were a vast number of miracle stories which are totally lost.

There's so much we don't know, and yet we can draw some conclusions from the part that we do know.

But we do have irrefutable floods of evidence that this sort of thing goes on constantly today.

And we have plenty of evidence that miracle stories went on constantly 1000 and 2000 years ago, but most of it was not recorded like it is today. We know that because we're not idiots. And why weren't they published? probably because hardly anyone believed them.

Did human nature fundamentally change just because literacy and the resources to write things down became more common?

No, it's obvious that what changed is the quantity of what was recorded in writing, which was scarce back then but vastly greater today. Not just the amount of writing, which is a minor change, but the quantity of writings COPIED so that dozens and hundreds and thousands of readers could have access to the same one document and learn the events, which is vastly greater today than it was 2000 years ago. (Does someone really have to explain this to you?)

Or is it possible that Lumpenproletariat is abusing the fact that interested parties made handwritten copies of his favorite fairy tale and . . .

But why only this fairy tale and not any others? What was so special about this story that so many writers wanted to copy it? -- not just 1000 years later, but in 100 and 200 and 300 AD?

. . . continued to propagate it through the centuries in order to fabricate a fallacious claim that this somehow proves the recorded events actually happened?

Right, the same as they've conned us into believing the Roman Empire existed and that George Washington was the first President. They just planted all that evidence and copied it, all those documents and artifacts, and had their agents spread this evidence everywhere and programmed people to believe it all actually happened.

You're making a strong case that no historical events really ever happened but rather are a product of the fabrication and propagation of this artificial evidence, which we believe because they proliferated these documents "in order to fabricate a fallacious claim that this somehow proves that the recorded events actually happened." Why can't you tell us why the gospel accounts are not credible without also telling us why ALL historical documents are not credible? Again you're just giving reasons to reject ALL historical facts.

ALL historical knowledge is based on evidence showing that the events were believed to have happened, and thus they were "popular" or believed by a large number, and this is the main evidence that those events really happened.

This is a ridiculous statement. Laughable. Evidently Lumpenproletariat is unfamiliar with "He said, she said."

But isn't all our history just based on "he said, she said" documents, where someone says something happened? Which documents are NOT "he said, she said"? In every case isn't the history source a "he" or a "she" who wrote something, i.e., who "said" it happened? Which source is not?

The ability to convince lots of people to believe one version of a story has absolutely no bearing on the truthiness of the story.

This is just as easily an argument against believing the "story" of the Persian Wars by Herodotus. Where did Herodotus get his "story"? From people who were convinced it was true. That the sources he used were people who believed the events happened has "no bearing on the truthiness of the story" told by Herodotus. Likewise any other historian.

What else do you have for the history you believe other than accounts from writers who got their "story" from people who believed it happened, or were convinced to believe it?

Again, every reason you give for disbelieving the Gospel accounts for the events is also a reason to disbelieve ANY accounts for any historical events.

It also completely ignores the very real possibility that many people who heard these ridiculous myths did not believe them.

No, that possibility is not ignored. Probably some did not believe the claims -- there's no way to figure how many.

But the fact of the recorded documents is evidence (not proof) that the reported events did happen. If not, then why do we believe any historical documents? More documents reporting the same events makes it more likely that the events did happen. However many did not believe the reported events, the existence of the written accounts is evidence that those events did happen (not proof), and, a higher number of sources for the same event increases the credibility of it, or the probability that the event did really happen.

And if this were not so, how could we have any credible historical facts?

(And if we had documents from the time saying the Jesus stories were fabrications and were disbelieved by many, that would reduce the credibility of the accounts.)

The existence of these gospels and pockets of believers is evidence that people got sucked into a religious movement.

Again, this comes only from your dogmatic premise that any reputed miracle event has to be fiction, no matter what. And not everyone has to accept this dogmatic premise.

The existence of these documents, their proliferation, multiple accounts attesting to the same events, is an indication that the reported events did happen, even if there are also some false reports among them. It's also evidence of some rumors or confusion or conflicts between different factions or different sources, or different cults -- it strongly indicates that something real did happen, something resembling the general accounts, even though there may also be distortions or mistakes or some fabrications added to it.

Big whoop. Millions of Mormons today believe that Jesus ministered to ancient native Americans. The original stories about that were allegedly written near the time they happened . . .

There's no reason to believe that. We do know when the Gospel accounts were written and when the miracle events allegedly happened. We have to know this in order to judge the credibility of the claims about the events. These dates are supplied by mainline historians and scholars, not by some cult. But we don't know when the Book of Mormon events happened, from the text, nor when the accounts of them were written (i.e., the accounts which JS translated).

. . . and translated into English by Joseph Smith much more recently.

But we don't know if the translation is correct, because there's no way to check the early manuscripts as we can do with the New Testament writings. So we really cannot verify the content of the Book of Mormon as we can that of the Greek New Testament.

Oh that's right. This happened in "modern times" so obviously the fact that human nature had completely changed . . .

No, whether it's "modern times" or earlier, we need the date when the document was written and also the date of the reported events. And for the Book of Mormon we have neither.

. . . by then lets us excuse this from Lumpenproletariat's special pleading criteria for accepting the Jesus Myth.

You cannot make these comparisons of the New Testament to the Book of Mormon if your only interest is to trash the Book of Mormon like this. You're offering us nothing. You obviously consider the Book of Mormon to be nothing but garbage for idiots. If you want to get serious, provide a real presentation of its claims, describing the reported events, when the account was written, and take it seriously.

The New Testament writings are taken seriously, with various dates determined for most of the writers, and criticism of certain parts that are less credible. If you want to do this with the Book of Mormon and defend its credibility or show that it's equally credible as the Gospel accounts, then get serious and present the information.

But if all you can do is ridicule it and snicker and cackle at it like an immature child, then you need to place your post into the topic for child's play or into the "horsing around" topic rather than here where we're discussing something serious.

Like always, you are just giving reasons to reject ALL historical sources or documents for anything ever used as a source for historical events.

For serious inquiry into this we need to know the approximate date the document was written and the approximate date of the alleged events, and we need to look at the claims made in the document, which we have done regarding the Jesus events in the gospel accounts. When you're ready to get serious, find out when the Mormon text was written, according to scholars, and when the events in them are supposed to have happened.

This is nothing more than a desperate attempt to shoehorn "appeal to popularity" in as an actual respected historical methodology, and it's not going to work.

It's already working for you, in all examples of historical facts which you believe.

You already follow this "appeal to popularity" for the facts of history that you believe. You can't give any example of an historical fact you believe that is not based on what some writer claimed and on how many writers claimed it, i.e., on the "popularity" of those facts. And what the writers claimed was based on what people told them, i.e., on the "popularity" of the claims of what happened.

If you had anything other than this for determining the historical facts, you would have presented an example of it. You have no example to offer. EVERY historical fact you believe is based on what some writer(s) said in documents that have come down to us and on nothing else.

Which is also essentially what the Jesus miracle claims are based on.

Last edited:
They recorded it because they believed it, and they believed it because it was probably true.

If people believe a story, then it must be true?

Yes, in the same sense that it's probably true if the historical record says it happened. The writer/historian wrote it because he believed it happened, usually because others told him it happened, and they told him this because they believed it.

We can nitpick the details, but that's what all historical facts are based on. You can't name an historical fact which is not based on this.

You need to have at least a 2nd-grade education.

"Universal Law" for historical facts: Whatever the writers said happened is the basis for historical facts.

I did say what's wrong with it, Lumpy.
It's not a law.
You made it up.

You cannot provide a citation that shows any other historian thinks there's any such thing as a universal law of history. You can't show this to be a consensus among historians or even among a certain faction of historical researchers.

You cannot just 'make up' historical truths, especially in a discussion about how one determines the facts of history.

But you're not qualified to discuss what historical evidence is or means, much less have the foundation needed to dictate your fantasies to people.
Translation: All historical facts that you know do conform to the above "Universal Law" -- you can't identify any fact of history which doesn't conform to this "Law."

Piss poor job of translating a written statement, there, Lumpy.
I have not examined whether or not any historical facts conform to your made-up-bullshit-law because that would be granting it too much credibility that it, and you, do not deserve.
I'm not going to play your game unless and until you can show that this is an actual, not fantasy, developed and defended law used by real historians. I'm just going to preemptively reject it out-of-hand as more of your bullshit. Not because i can't counter it, but because I don't need to.

Why don't you go back to the 2nd grade and learn what quotation marks mean.

"Universal Law" for historical facts: Whatever the writers said happened is the basis for historical facts.

That appears to be Lumpy's litmus test for historicity.

No, the litmus test is whether the writers said it happened, and we're talking about ancient history, or several centuries ago and earlier.

You can't name an historical fact from centuries ago which you accept which is not based on what the writers back then said happened. (Or do you claim to have a time machine you use to go back and observe the events?)

You want to add some qualifiers? The writing should be near to the time of the events, less than 100 (200) years, it's better if there's more than only one source/writer, etc. etc.

That appears to be Lumpy's litmus test for historicity.

No, the litmus test is whether the writers said it happened, and we're talking about ancient history, or several centuries ago and earlier.

You can't name an historical fact from centuries ago which you accept which is not based on what the writers back then said happened. (Or do you claim to have a time machine you use to go back and observe the events?)

You want to add some qualifiers? The writing should be near to the time of the events, less than 100 (200) years, it's better if there's more than only one source/writer, etc. etc.

A good example of all of this is archaeology. We have the biblical tall tales of the Exodus, and the destruction of oh so many Canaanite cities by Joshua's invasion by the Israelites. All in glorious detail. But archaeology found out none of that happened. Those cities were abandoned ruins when any possible israelites of that era came across them.

Facts reported by religious writers often are not facts. So reports by such writers need corrobation. Not credulity.

Lumpenproletariat sure does like to issue absolute challenges that can be busted easily. Nobody ever claimed Joseph Smith performed miracles.

I accept that there were native American "indians" living in various parts of what is now North America near the end of the last ice age. I don't accept this because anyone wrote about it back then. I accept it because the archaeological evidence is unimpeachable. Lumpenproletariat's mileage may vary. Perhaps he doesn't accept anything unless it was written down, I don't know.

Why do the gospel accounts alone have to be rejected as sources for historical events?

Because we know for sure what some of the historical facts are: George Washington was the first President, Julius Caesar was assassinated, etc. etc. -- and if all the examples of such facts fit this "Universal Law," that shows that the "Law" is reliable.

Then you need to take a logic course along with the history course you so desperately need.

The logic here is:

All S are P

Therefore All P are S.

This is clearly a bad syllogism. In this case you list a few "facts" and claim that they all fall into a category of facts that are recorded in historical documentation (All S are P). You then summarize that anything that fits that criteria is a historical fact (All P are S).

Sort of. But this doesn't mean that everything recorded or found in writing is an historical fact -- I didn't claim that. Of course there are ways to dispute the "facts" recorded in the documents. But that they are there indicates that they are facts, i.e., this is evidence that they are facts, or that those reported events did happen, and the burden of proof is on the one who insists that they are NOT facts.

If there are additional documents which deny those events/facts as reported, then those additional documents are evidence against those alleged facts.

If the claims are made in the documents from the time, and are not denied in other documents, then this is evidence that the claims are true and the reported events did happen. If the claims are made again in additional documents, this increases the evidence for the claims.

My "logic" or "syllogism" did not imply that the contents within the documents cannot be disputed or that every statement contained in a document has to be the truth.

Worse yet you ignore that there are many other ways to gain knowledge about historical facts that do not involve written documentation. As but one example we know about dinosaurs because of fossil evidence, . . .

Silly example. Obviously it's not this kind of history we're talking about. We're talking about human events.

. . . not because some clever velociraptor wrote about them in his diary. We know that there was a partial eclipse of the sun in Tokyo, Japan in 1401 BC (May 2 by our reckoning today) not because anyone wrote about it, but because we can use mathematical models predictively and regressively to determine the exact time and path of eclipses.

You are proving my point, in that you cannot provide any examples from recorded history or from human events, such as what our topic is about. How about sticking to our topic instead of changing it entirely. Is changing the topic the only way you can find an example to dispute my claim about how we know historical facts and why the events in the gospel accounts are in that category? Our topic is obviously about human events, human acts, human behavior, what certain humans said and did.

Some historical facts are products of anthropology, geology and other scientific disciplines unrelated to simply pouring over ancient documents.

Not the facts we've been talking about. If you want to change the subject to something else, maybe you should post a new topic. We're talking about the acts humans did, or whether they did or didn't do certain acts.

You also ignore the very real fact that people make shit up; that people believe made-up shit.

No, most people do not. Probably only 1% or so. But if they made up shit like you're saying the gospel writers did, then we should have other examples of such shit being made up and published and circulated and believed instead of only this one example.

That even if you have a dozen witnesses to a vehicular accident you'll get a dozen different stories.

So therefore the accident did not really happen?

All this means, for our topic, is that the discrepancies in the gospel accounts do not prove that the whole thing was some "shit" someone made up. Rather, there are different versions of what happened, and we can figure out what happened from these accounts, just as they can investigate an accident and figure out generally what happened.

If you were lucky enough to get the thing on video you might find out that none of the stories were accurate portrayals of what happened.

Oh hell, even the video can be unreliable. Someone might have doctored it -- you don't know.

So then, nothing ever really happened, there are no accidents, no crimes ever were committed, because every piece of evidence is faulty, according to you. So there's no truth to ever figure out, and all effort to get at the truth is hopelessly flawed and unreliable.

OK fine, that's your theory about ALL events that ever happened. We can never figure out what really happened. Again, you're not telling us what's wrong with the gospel accounts or about the Jesus events, but what's wrong with ALL information about anything, about anything that ever happened, about ALL historical events. So stop pretending that you're giving us reasons not to believe the gospel accounts. You're giving us reasons to reject ALL historical evidence about anything that ever happened -- or about anything that happened prior to modern times.

We know this to be the case and still yet you persist in suggesting that rational people should abandon all reason and skepticism for your favorite fairy tale because you can piece together a fallacy-ridden magic puzzle of . . .

No, just apply the same logic to the written evidence we have about the Jesus events as you apply to all the other evidence for events 2000 years ago. Or 1000 years ago. Don't put this one particular event, or the source, into its own separate category and say that this alone, of all the written sources, is unreliable, whereas we can believe all other written sources. You never give us any reason why we should reject this one source only, but reasons for rejecting ALL the sources.

. . . circumstantial argument that cannot be presented simply but has to be hidden in the smoke of huge text walls.

Don't preach to me about being logical if you're going to whine about the lengthy text. Do you want to deal with our question or not? Your outbursts about the LENGTH of the post are immature crybaby pettiness.

Go find us one single example of someone doing something as extraordinary as floating off into the sky never to be seen again, which is only documented by anonymous mythology, and which rational people take seriously.

I hope it's true that he ascended as described in Luke 24, however, if he did not, and this is just something added later, it does not greatly change the overall story of what happened. It adds to the demonstration of his power, and so strengthens the evidence. And yet, maybe it's mostly sensationalistic in nature. So, this one event is not something to obsess on the way you enjoy doing.

The healing stories and the resurrection are of far greater significance, and these are where the attention should be focused. I could live with the possibility that some of the other stories, including the physical ascension, are from later mythologizing. Obviously there were some later fictional elements in the "gospels" of the 2nd and 3rd centuries, and possibly in the canonical gospels also.

Do that and I will back off on insisting that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Miracle events require extra evidence. Like we have for Rasputin the mad monk who was able to heal one child. And we have extra evidence for the Jesus miracles -- significantly more than is required for ordinary events.

The cliché "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" has to be more than just a mantra for us to take it seriously. When will you stop chanting this chorus over and over and finally explain why it is not sufficient that we have some extra evidence for miracle claims?

And even with the extra evidence, this does not mean those events or the claims are PROVEN to be true, but only that this makes them more credible, and one can reasonably believe them, or one can reasonably hope that it's true.

Why is it wrong to hope it's true if we have this extra evidence for these events which we do not have in the case of other miracle legends?

How did the Jesus stories get believed and recorded? How did ANY events of history get believed and recorded?

There is no appeal here to "popularity" except in the sense that ALL historical knowledge is based on evidence showing that the events were believed to have happened, and thus they were "popular" or believed by a large number, and this is the main evidence that those events really happened.

So how do you imagine those events became widely believed?

I suppose oral and written reports, retold or copied. The "historians" mostly did not invent the events as fiction. They were virtually never eyewitnesses to the events, so didn't it come to them from earlier written and oral reports?

Did everyone who ended up believing them, empire-wide, were eyewitnesses?

Obviously not all who believed it were eyewitnesses, just as with other historical events we believe from the written record. The writers were not eyewitnesses, nor those they got information from. I.e., in most cases.

How else did they ensure they knew the truth of those claims?

You mean people never know or believe anything they're not an eyewitness to? There are ways to confirm the reports and be pretty sure of the accuracy even if you're not an eyewitness. If not, you can throw out half our knowledge of ancient history. We don't have it from eyewitnesses.

Did they all travel to Jerusalem and did their own investigation.

Probably no more than the sources for our standard historical facts. The "historians" we rely on were usually not near to the events in time, and often not in geography, and nor were the witnesses they directly relied on. We believe facts of history without requiring our sources to be eyewitnesses.

I'm saying the gospel account events became known and recorded similarly as other events which are recorded in documents.

Presumably it's a mixture of written and oral reports. But it's mostly oral at the earlier stage, close to the actual events. However you believe other events were reported or transmitted, the same was the case with the Jesus events. There's plenty to have doubts about, but we believe the accounts generally, don't we? Do we insist that every writer had to travel to the place where the events had happened 50 or 100 years earlier that he wrote about?

What about twenty years later, did they still have the chance to do forensic examination of physical evidence?

Most historical events 2000 years ago are reported to us from sources much later than only 20 years, or even 30 or 40 years, after the events. They relied mainly on reports, not on physical evidence from the actual events.

Or did they just believe others?

What we have in our (ancient) history books came from writers who mostly believed others, and even these sources they believed usually got it from still earlier sources who believed. You can fill in most of these blanks. The fact is that the writers were usually far removed from the actual events they report to us.

Why did they do so and why do they count?

Everyone who claims to know what happened counts. Those trying to record the events get the information from any source available. Obviously there can be mistakes and distortions etc. You do the best you can. Otherwise we'd have no "history" at all.

"History is mostly guessing -- the rest is prejudice." -- Will Durant

Because what happened was this: miracle stories were a dime a dozen in those times, . . .

They still are today. There's no reason to say that miracle stories were believed in the 1st century AD anymore than earlier or later.

Actually, the emergence of new miracle stories was far more prevalent in the 2nd century and later than in the 1st century AD, or than the period 200 BC - 100 AD. There is a flood of new miracle stories from about 100 AD onward.

. . . so the population was already somewhat primed to believe yet another such story.

No, not any more so than at other periods. When the miracle stories were really exploding was after 100 AD, not in 30 or 50 or 70 AD. There was no special hotbed of miracle-story-creation in 30-70 AD compared to before that period, like 1st century BC, and clearly the miracle-story hotbed was much more potent AFTER 100 AD than before.

Disheveled madman comes to town, preaches about Jesus. Say, three out of fifty people believe the tall tales, sell their possessions and travel to other cities to preach about Jesus, . . .

Such a thing never happened.

People do not believe such madmen. But if they did, we should have many more examples of it, other "Jesus" objects that the "madmen" preached about, not only in other places, but also at other times, 50 BC, 150 BC, 250 BC, and also after 100 AD. There's no reason why this one charlatan legend only should become popularized and published and no others.

. . . becoming disheveled madmen in the process.

By your explanation of it, we should have HUNDREDS of other Jesus legends, by other names, and published in hundreds of other "gospel" accounts, telling of their miracles.

It's obviously not true that people are the brain-dead idiots that you imagine. They are not conned in the way you're suggesting.

You can't point to any case where people are conned in mass numbers as you're describing, other than into traditional myth cults dating back many centuries, into the ancient legends of Zeus and Apollo etc. Not into a new instant miracle-worker fiction. There are no known examples of instant-miracle-worker fictional heroes suddenly getting published and popularized and spread to thousands of new disciples.

Nowhere does the truth of the claims enter the equation.

It always enters the equation if it's about an upstart instant miracle-worker just invented or not previously known of. There are no examples of large numbers falling for it and publishing the accounts and copying them. Because people are not generally gullible the way you're presupposing. Not in those times anymore than today.

They gullibly believed in the ancient pagan deities, not overnight miracle heroes who popped up suddenly out of nowhere as Jesus popped up suddenly in 30 AD.

They recorded it because they believed it, and they believed it because it was probably true.

The first part, I'll grant you. Those who wrote the gospel stories most likely believed them, passed down as they were by people the writers probably deemed trustworthy.

The second part? Don't be ridiculous. They believed it because they were told it by people they trusted, and who were also sincere believers of the stories they were passing on. You have no grounds to claim they were "probably" true, because by definition, a miracle by divine intervention is the least probable explanation for any phenomenon - that's why they're miracles and not everyday occurences.

Back
Top Bottom