• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

Peeking thru a hole in the wall of text....

You also ignore the very real fact that people make shit up; that people believe made-up shit.

No, most people do not. Probably only 1% or so.
:hysterical: only 1% :hysterical:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/06/28/one-third-americans-believe-in-ufos-survey-says.html
A new survey finds that 80 million Americans, or 36 percent of the population, believe UFOs are real. One in 10 respondents say they have personally witnessed an alien spaceship.

Some several thousands of gods built upon a pedestal:
https://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_list_of_gods_but_nowhere_near_all_of_them

A few of my favorites:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/04/conspiracy-theory-poll-results-.html
- 21% of voters say a UFO crashed in Roswell, NM in 1947 and the US government covered it up.
- 28% of voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks.
- 28% of voters believe secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order.
- 13% of voters think Barack Obama is the anti-Christ
- 14% of voters believe in Bigfoot

I wonder what all the people who think Obama is the anti-Christ are going to do next year. Do they start thinking that Hillary has now become the anti-Christ or will they be sitting around waiting for Obama to interrupt the post-Presidency lecture circuit in order to crush humanity under his iron fist?

The anti-Christ does seem to reincarnate every four to eight years, doesn't she.

I wonder what all the people who think Obama is the anti-Christ are going to do next year. Do they start thinking that Hillary has now become the anti-Christ or will they be sitting around waiting for Obama to interrupt the post-Presidency lecture circuit in order to crush humanity under his iron fist?
I'm still baffled as to why this purported secretive power elite would rule the world thru a new wave band...

According the the nutjob theologians who live around me in Texas, there needs to be one more Biblical prophecy happen before the Anti-Christ comes and the book of Revelation begins to manifest. A red heifer needs to be sacrificed at a new Jewish temple in Jerusalem. That is apparently all the AnitChrist is waiting for before she comes down here to reek unholy havoc upon the True believers.

According the the nutjob theologians who live around me in Texas, there needs to be one more Biblical prophecy happen before the Anti-Christ comes and the book of Revelation begins to manifest. A red heifer needs to be sacrificed at a new Jewish temple in Jerusalem. That is apparently all the AnitChrist is waiting for before she comes down here to reek unholy havoc upon the True believers.

First of all they have to destroy the Aqba Mosque on the Temple Mount and rebuild the Temple. I can't wait to see that happen!

First of all they have to destroy the Aqba Mosque on the Temple Mount and rebuild the Temple. I can't wait to see that happen!

It might be a fair fight if our government didn't just give Israel another 38 billion dollars to defend itself from all the poor muslims that are throwing rocks at them in protest of their genocide and other war crimes. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37345444

What are the standards for comparing one miracle legend -- Jesus, Mithras, Perseus, Prometheus etc. -- to another?

there were quite a few events that never got mentioned by mainline historians, like about 99.9999999999% of all the events that happened. And everything they wrote was only about the rich and powerful, not about ordinary people.

Since Jesus was a person of no recognized status or repute during his lifetime, it is amazing that we have any mention of him at all in any historical document, i.e., the brief mention in Tacitus and Suetonius and Josephus, who wrote only about people in high positions of power and military conflicts, and certainly about no one whose public career was less than 10 years.

There is probably not one other example of anyone ever mentioned in any history source, prior to 1500 or so, whose public career was so short.

Excellent point.

No, it's not.

It's his only point, that the details of the Jesus story could not possibly have been made up, . . .

No, more precisely, the miracle stories generally could not have been made up. Probably some details were made up (there's no need to insist that every statement in the gospel accounts is true). It's the general picture that is true, and the miracle element has to be part of it, not fiction, because it's the only element which explains how Jesus became deified within only 30 years (probably earlier, but by 60 AD at latest).

. . . could not possibly have been made up for various justifications he will not grant to other myths and legends.

We can go over those myths and legends (again) one by one. Let's just take the 3 famous examples from the 1st century, contemporaries of Jesus -- Simon Magus, Apollonius of Tyana, and Hanina ben Dosa. All of them are reputed miracle workers and thus "other myths and legends" to compare to the Jesus miracle legend.

These other miracle legends are judged by the same objective standards as the Jesus legend. The standards are:

• We need a source, written document, saying they existed and performed miracles.

• Number of sources: We need more than only one such source, for a miracle claim. For most historical events maybe only one source is enough, but it's still better to have more than only one.

• Proximity of source to the alleged miracle event(s): The source(s) should be near to the time of the event. 100 years might still be close enough for most normal events, but for miracle events it should be sooner.

• Reputation: Another factor is the fame or widespread reputation of the miracle hero, i.e., the real historical person from whom the later legend emerged (whether it's fictional or real). A short public career and non-fame or non-status of this person does make it harder to explain how he later became mythologized. All the above three Jesus contemporary reputed miracle-workers had long careers and broad recognition or status (though Apollonius is the best case of this, whereas the others are less certain). Based on the sources we have for them, each of them definitely had a public career of longer than 20 years, performing their great deeds and impressing people.

There are some other factors also, but we can look at these, and you can suggest what other factors ought to also be considered. But these are real objective factors.

For standards to judge historicity, the first 3 factors above, about the sources, are used for judging the truth of regular historical events. Do we not require sources, or documents, saying the event(s) happened, and don't we want them to be close to the events, like less than 100 years, or less than 50 years, rather than centuries later? And don't we want the extra sources beyond only one?

So what is wrong with saying the Jesus miracle reports have more credibility, and could not have been made up (or are less likely made up) than for these other examples? And how is this not based on "justifications" that are granted to the others, or rather, by standards that are applied equally to all of them?

And so what's the flaw in saying this Jesus miracle legend could not have been "made up" in the way we can easily recognize that these others were made up? How am I committing the error of saying they could "not possibly have been made up for various justifications he will not grant to other myths and legends"? What are you babbling about? I've given the "justifications" and demonstrated how those other "myths and legends" fall short of the standards.

What are the standards or "justifications" which would have led to a different conclusion? i.e., the conclusion that one of these others was more likely real or credible than the Jesus legend? What standards or "justifications" do you apply which would lead to this different conclusion?

digression: I was thinking of helping you out by providing you with an archaeological find concerning Apollonius of Tyana, which would allow you to claim we have archaeological evidence for him from the 1st century which we do not have for Jesus. I.e., physical evidence, which maybe is more scientific than written documents?

But alas!

Trying to find it I discovered I had been conned again by an earlier debater (from 5 or 6 years ago) who gave me false information about this physical evidence.

http://www.mountainman.com.au/apollonius_inscription.htm

I was led to believe it was some kind of a 1st-century shrine or monument erected in honor of Apollonius. There's an inscription:

'This man, named after Apollo,
and shining forth Tyana,
extinguished the faults of men.
The tomb in Tyana (received) his body,
but in truth heaven received him
so that he might drive out the pains of men
(or:drive pains from among men) .'

--- Ancient inscription, translated C. P. Jones

This is more than just an archaeological find, but in fact is a "document" in that it tells us some information, in text, about the reputed miracle-worker. Any set of words saying something is a "document" even it's also a monument or shrine or physical object from stone. However the words got there, it's a text and a statement or written source.

So this almost appears to be an early testimony to this man's miracle power, even if the wording is vague. But -- wouldn't y'know it -- the real date turns out to be much later:

A date in the third or fourth century seems roughly right, and would accord with the content of the epigram.

Gosh Darn Double-Fudge!

There's no 1st-century monument here at all, as I was falsely informed. So I can't help you -- I was going to suggest that you have here physical evidence, an archaeological find, proving the existence of this character in the 1st century, which we don't seem to have for Jesus. I had recalled something about a memorial stone of some kind giving his name. But it turns out it's a 3rd- or 4th-century text "document" engraving.

Why do so many of these Jesus-debunker smoking guns turn out to be fraudulent? This is one of many I keep running into. After the pattern repeats over and over you have to start scratching your head.

The Mithras cult parallels turned out to be fraudulent, e.g. ALL of them are based on sources AFTER 100 AD, it turns out. Though the Mithras cult existed much earlier, there's nothing in the earlier sources showing any parallel to Christianity. All those parallels are POST-Christian. Even that December 25 date which we hear so often.

Tell us what the standards or "justifications" are for comparing Jesus to any other "religion" or "miracle legend" or "myth hero" etc. Let's make the comparison. Lay out the objective scientific standards to go by. And it's not the existence per se of the miracle hero or legend, because these mythic hero figures probably did exist. It's the details of their miracle acts that is questioned. How do we compare the different claims made to determine which ones have greater credibility and which ones less?

I've given some standards -- are there others? What are they? If my standards are subjective or "special pleading" or "sharpshooter" standards, then offer your own standards. How would you judge these different miracle legends or religious cults or mythic heroes to compare them and judge which one is more credible than another?

I've made the comparison by the standards I've listed and found there's not even a close second to the Jesus case, for whom we do have some evidence, similar to evidence for mainline history, i.e., written testimony or claims in writing near to the time of the events. What should be the standards of "justifications" if not these ones I've listed?

This ignores humanity's great facility at making shit up, and our great gullibility to accept made-up-shit.

But this is an argument against ALL historical evidence. All of it is told to us by someone who could have "made up shit" because there's no way to go back and confirm it without relying on some other written source which might also be "made-up-shit."

If we have an objective standard for comparing one "normal" history source to another and judging their reliability or judging their claims, we can apply those same standards for "abnormal" claims to judge which are more reliable and which are less.

If you just fall back on the rhetoric that no miracle claim can ever be true, no matter what, then you're imposing a dogmatic premise which not everyone accepts or has to accept. Nothing in science or logic requires us to accept this premise regardless of any consideration of the evidence in particular cases.

What are the standards for comparing one miracle legend -- Jesus, Mithras, Perseus, Prometheus etc. -- to another?

Rationality is the standard. If you look at all those myths and realize that thousands or millions believed in these different gods throughout history, you would see how easy it is for a myth to be created about something that never really happened. If you don't believe that Mithras, Perseus, and Prometheus are real gods, then what makes you think Jesus is any different? The only evidence we have that Jesus was a real god is the Bible, and it is full of so many contradictions that I would bet my money that Prometheus exists before Jesus. The myths about Prometheus say he tried to help mankind by giving us fire, even though he knew he would be punished for helping us. Prometheus didn't threaten us with eternal hellfire like Jesus and his asshole father did, he was just trying to enlighten us.

Much of what Lumpen has already said (sorry to intrude) from a previous blog posted by revivin that I came across .Seems to me this has more weight than Prometheus.
http://talkfreethought.org/entry.php?33-129-Facts-of-Jesus

"Writings (patrology), biographies (hagiography) of Church fathers (patristics); providing 129 facts about Jesus from 45 ancient sources, 17 non-Christian, e.g. Clement of Rome, Polycarp, Ignatius, Dionysius of Corinth, Tertullian, Origen; Josephus (Jewish), Tacitus (Roman), Lucian (satirist), Mara Bar-Serapion (highly regarded in British Museum), Talmud (important Jewish document)."

Of our 45 sources, 30 record this teaching [deity of Jesus], which surprisingly includes seven of the 17 secular sources"

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Was Jesus really a MERMAID in disguise?

The claim that something is "made up" is itself just a claim.
#gainsaying #nil_all_draw

Well, not really. Positive claims require proofs.

Not necessarily. One can reasonably believe a claim without having "proof" that it's true. It's legitimate to believe based on evidence which falls short of "proof" or certainty.

Not accepting the validity of a claim absent that proof is just common sense, since one can't actually ever prove a negative.

But we don't have "proofs" for most of our historical facts. Do you mean that you don't believe anything you read in a history book unless you first find a "proof" of it? Or do you mean you just assume that someone, maybe a "historian" somewhere, has found the "proof" for each claim in the documents? and that until this "proof" was first found no fact from a document was certified as a true historical fact? I'll give you a hint: no historian did find any such "proof" for most of the claims. Obviously in a few cases there is strong corroboration for a claim, but in many others there is little or none, and the "claim" in the document is accepted until something further turns up to contradict it.

So it's not true that "claims" first require "proofs" before being accepted as historical or factual. All you can expect is that additional "claims" may come along which will support the earlier claims, so these might achieve a higher level of credibility. There really aren't any "proofs" other than some further evidence that increases the credibility, and that's the most you can ever expect.

Some claims are corroborated many times over and so become well-established with virtually all doubt removed. But that's the exception. Most accepted history is not so well-established. For most of our "historical facts" there's much uncertainty and not what can be called "proof" of its truth.

"History is mostly guessing -- the rest is prejudice." -- Will Durant

For instance, what is your position on the existence of mermaids? There have been numerous claims of sailors sighting them over the centuries, but knowing what we know about biology and the makeup of the ocean, I feel quite comfortable saying that mermaids are fictional.

That's probably correct, but this doesn't mean that all stories about alleged "mermaids" are made up or fictional. Also such stories are not analogous to the Jesus miracle stories in the gospel accounts.

If you want to draw this analogy, you have to give us an example of a mermaid story that was reported as a real event.

That's less of a positive claim on my part than it is a rejection of the positive claim that they're real since that claim not only lacks evidence but any potential positive evidence for their existence would contradict facts which we already know. Now, we haven't actually mapped every inch of every ocean and there are new species found there all the time, but I still feel comfortable in my complete rejection of the claim that mermaids are real (or my own claim that mermaids are fictional, however you want to word it).

But rejecting the claim that mermaids are real is not the same as rejecting a particular claim someone made 1000 years ago that they saw a mermaid, or a claim that a "mermaid" appeared somewhere. To legitimately say that this is analogous to claims in the gospels that Jesus did a miracle, you have to produce that story from the writings where a mermaid is said to have appeared, so we can compare it to claims from Mark that Jesus healed a leper, or from Paul that Jesus was seen alive after he had been killed.

We need the actual account, in writing, preserved or copied for future generations, in which the claim is made about the "mermaid" encounter.

Part of the mermaid phenomenon explanation no doubt has to do with later stories being "copycat" versions of earlier ones. So way back there in prehistory this legend got started somehow, maybe in someone's imagination, and it caught on. Over thousands of years. Nothing like this could explain the Jesus miracle healing stories which popped up suddenly in history without any established pattern of such stories for them to fit into.

Would you agree with me about that or are you more agnostic about the existence of mermaids and you feel that you need to withhold judgment and avoid coming to a conclusion about them?

It seems appropriate to assume they don't really exist. But what if someone pops up having credible evidence of some such creature? or written accounts are discovered which describe some past encounter which was witnessed and is corroborated in extra sources?

It's not clear that any serious encounters have been reported which were intended to be understood as real events, either by witnesses or by writers who heard reports of it and recorded these. Just saying "there are legends or claims reported by sailors" is not clear as to the seriousness in terms of someone recording the claims in a factual account and believing those who made the claims or taking them seriously.

I feel the same with Jesus claims.

But others "feel" differently, and neither feeling is scientifically provable. There's nothing requiring a reasonable person to put the Jesus claims into the same category as mermaid claims, so this is just an impulse. We have the documents containing the accounts of the Jesus acts. This is not the same as some vague claims about ancient sailors seeing monsters or telling stories while they were getting drunk. One can choose to "feel the same" about this story or lump it along with certain others, but nothing in logic or science compels a reasonable person to classify these stories into the same category.

You can just say you reject all "stories" about something you have a negative feeling about. But this is not the same as examining the story to check its credibility and compare the more credible "stories" with those that are less credible. This requires more thoughtfulness than to just dismiss them all because there is a "miracle" element or something bizarre or irregular or counterintuitive.

Obviously everyone rejects what their impulse drives them to reject, whether there is a compelling reason or not. There is no compelling reason to place the Jesus stories into the same category as mermaid stories, but there are many kinds of stories or "claims" one can dismiss, if that's their impulse, by equating them with "fairy tales" or "tall tales" or "yarns" or whatever. But not everyone has the same impulse to do this, and nothing in logic or science compels us to adopt this kind of impulse.

One can choose instead to compare the different "claims" or "stories" of one kind or another, including the "miracle" or "paranormal" or "extraordinary" ones, and determine if some have a higher level of credibility than others, and so pick and choose from among them, and weigh the possibilities, rather than simplistically lumping them all together or brushing them all aside as though none could be any more believable than another.

There is no evidence that the guy from the Bible existed . . .

The existence of the written accounts is evidence. You can say this evidence is not sufficient, but it is evidence like for historical facts generally. You might say the same about the mermaid stories, if there are any serious accounts, which isn't clear -- but if there are any serious accounts about mermaids, then these too are evidence, even if this evidence is not persuasive. Still it's evidence if there are serious reports claiming the encounters happened.

So if you begin with "there is no evidence that . . ." you're probably wrong. Maybe it's very little or falls short, but usually there is some evidence.

. . . and his miraculous activities would require his being able to act in ways which contradict facts that we already know (altering the molecular structure of water so that it can hold his body weight or be converted into wine molecules, reanimating his own and others' corpses, etc). That's enough in and of itself to reject the claim (or state that the claim is false, however you want to word it).

Of course it's enough if you begin with the dogmatic premise that no miracle event can ever happen, regardless of any evidence that it did happen. But a reasonable person does not have to begin from this dogmatic premise. One can reasonably leave open the possibility that some miracle events may have happened, and then consider what evidence there is. Some do leave open this possibility, but others reject any such possibility and any possible evidence there might be in a given case. You might condemn others who leave open this possibility rather than adopting the premise that miracle events can never happen no matter what, but you don't prove they're wrong simply because they don't agree with this optional premise.

Now, whether or not there was some other dude / combination of other dudes who may or may not have borne some resemblance to the guy in the Bible and was the inspiration for the character is another question.

The real person, or the original historical person from whom the Bible Jesus originated, was almost certainly different in some ways than the later legend. It isn't necessary to insist that they are identically the same in order to believe the general portrayal of him as the miracle-worker or healer. It's even possible the real historical person had even more miracle power than is depicted in the accounts.

The Biblical account of Jesus, however, is one that can be rejected without much concern.

But nothing in reason or science requires that this account be rejected (though I think a strong case could be made that some details are likely inaccurate). The point is that a reasonable person has enough evidence from the Biblical account to believe the historical Jesus had special life-giving power, and thus to believe in Christ based on reason and evidence, or having a reasonable hope, even if not claiming to have "proof" or Absolute Certainty about it.

Last edited:
The claim that something is "made up" is itself just a claim.
Well, not really. Positive claims require proofs.
Not necessarily. One can reasonably believe a claim without having "proof" that it's true. It's legitimate to believe based on evidence which falls short of "proof" or certainty.
Then why do you bitch that your claims about Jesus are rejected?
According to you it's legitimate for us to believe that there's sufficient evidence that it's made-up-bullshit to come to the conclusion and that's all we need.
You can't claim this is a standard for accepting claims as true and then whine if the same standard is used to reject your healing-Jesus stories as fantasy.

Much of what Lumpen has already said (sorry to intrude) from a previous blog posted by revivin that I came across .Seems to me this has more weight than Prometheus.
http://talkfreethought.org/entry.php?33-129-Facts-of-Jesus

"Writings (patrology), biographies (hagiography) of Church fathers (patristics); providing 129 facts about Jesus from 45 ancient sources, 17 non-Christian, e.g. Clement of Rome, Polycarp, Ignatius, Dionysius of Corinth, Tertullian, Origen; Josephus (Jewish), Tacitus (Roman), Lucian (satirist), Mara Bar-Serapion (highly regarded in British Museum), Talmud (important Jewish document)."

Of our 45 sources, 30 record this teaching [deity of Jesus], which surprisingly includes seven of the 17 secular sources"

I'm not a Biblical scholar, but I have tried to study the ones that are considered the most wise, and I know that there aren't 129 "facts" about Jesus that all the people who study the Bible professionally agree on. They can't even agree if there was a real person named Jesus that these stories are based on.

I would be more inclined to believe all these facts about Jesus if somebody could tell me exactly what happened on Easter. Dan Barker's Easter Challenge - https://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/stone.php

What did Jesus do to deserve mention in the historical record and become a legend? answer: He performed the miracle acts.

there were quite a few events that never got mentioned by mainline historians, like about 99.9999999999% of all the events that happened. And everything they wrote was only about the rich and powerful, not about ordinary people.

Since Jesus was a person of no recognized status or repute during his lifetime, it is amazing that we have any mention of him at all in any historical document, i.e., the brief mention in Tacitus and Suetonius and Josephus, who wrote only about people in high positions of power and military conflicts, and certainly about no one whose public career was less than 10 years.

There is probably not one other example of anyone ever mentioned in any history source, prior to 1500 or so, whose public career was so short.

Excellent point.
What did Jesus do to deserve any permanent mention in written form?
If He was a fake or an imaginary character, He should have disappeared from oral tradition long before any secular historian picked up a pen to write about this Rabbi from...
...from where! :eek:

OMG you are right! You have opened my eyes to the truth after all these years! I am in tears! King Arthur and Robin Hood and Hercules were real people and everything written about them is true!

No, not everything written about them, or about Jesus, is true. This is not the point.

The point is that virtually all the events which happened, and all persons who existed, were never mentioned in the historical record, and when someone did get into the record, there had to be a reason why, or something important or special about him to make him worthy of such mention.

We can explain why most historical characters got mentioned, including those who became mythologized into legends. There was always something special or noteworthy about them: King Arthur, Hercules, Robin Hood, and others who probably did exist and were remembered because of great deeds they performed ("great" but not supernatural). They did heroic acts or something noteworthy over a long colorful career.

But why did Jesus Christ become mythologized into a legend?

Is there any other character who became a legend and about whom we cannot identify anything noteworthy that he performed which caused him to become recognized in the written record and made into a legend? especially considering his unusually short public career?

One can reasonably believe Jesus had life-giving power, based on evidence, but not as proven fact.

I am not claiming that the Jesus story is made up.

I am claiming that the story being a made-up fiction is certainly a possibility for which believers have a burden to counter.

Actually believers don't have a burden to counter this, but it's always good for anyone who believes something to give reasons for it, if they have time.

They believe for good reason, which is that Jesus evidently performed miracle acts which are an indication of his connection to a superhuman life-giving power. This is not a proven fact, but this is indicated by the fact that he performed those acts.

There is no other explanation for how he did these acts unless he was connected to some such power. Of course there is doubt about it, but it's reasonable to believe he had this power and to hope that it is great enough to even give us eternal life.

So it's a reasonable hope, and one can reasonably have this belief or hope based on the evidence we have, even though it's not a proven fact.

Lumpy's effort to prove that the Jesus story is NOT made up is based on quite a bit of made-up-bullshit.

I didn't "prove" that it's not made up, but I've shown that no one can explain how this got made up. No facts have been offered except this one only:

It is a fundamental premise that EVERYONE must accept that miracle acts are absolutely impossible -- PERIOD, EXCLAMATION POINT!, and on the basis of this alone we must assume the Jesus miracle stories are fiction.

No other facts than this premise have been offered to show that the miracle acts of Jesus did not happen. The accounts are rejected SOLELY for this reason, i.e., that such acts are assumed to be impossible, ipso facto, regardless of the evidence that they did happen, or regardless of documents from the time saying the events happened, which usually is accepted as evidence that the alleged events did happen.

Lumpy pretends to knowledge of history and historians and invented a completely fictional 'universal law of history' that he tries to say is applicable to the Jesus story.

The "universal law" is only that we use historical documents, or written accounts from the past, from which to derive our historical facts.

Based on this "universal law" one can believe the Jesus miracle acts. And your only reason to say these accounts are "made up" is that this "law" is false, i.e., historical facts do NOT come from the written documents preserved from the past.

So your claim that the Jesus miracles are more likely fiction is based on the premise that we do NOT obtain our historical facts from the ancient documents. And that's why we cannot rely on the gospel accounts, because it's not from the ancient documents that we obtain our historical facts.

Those who disagree with you and believe our historical facts do come from those ancient documents have good reason to believe the Jesus miracle acts really did happen.

And even if they don't do battle with you and prove you wrong, their belief is reasonably based on the evidence we have.

You can reasonably believe there is no truth to any of this, based on the dogmatic premise that miracle events cannot ever happen no matter what, and on your belief that the historical facts do not come from the ancient documents.

But others can reasonably believe this is the truth, by not accepting the dogmatic premise that miracle events can never happen no matter what, and by accepting the premise that our historical facts are based on the claims made in the ancient documents which have been preserved for us.

I didn't "prove" that it's not made up, but I've shown that no one can explain how this got made up. No facts have been offered except this one only:

It is a fundamental premise that EVERYONE must accept that miracle acts are absolutely impossible -- PERIOD, EXCLAMATION POINT!, and on the basis of this alone we must assume the Jesus miracle stories are fiction.

No other facts than this premise have been offered to show that the miracle acts of Jesus did not happen. The accounts are rejected SOLELY for this reason, i.e., that such acts are assumed to be impossible, ipso facto, regardless of the evidence that they did happen, or regardless of documents from the time saying the events happened, which usually is accepted as evidence that the alleged events did happen.

No, miracles are not impossible. They're just very, very improbable. Which is why they're singled out as extremely unusual and not regarded in the same light as humdrum historical events, and must conform to a higher standard of evidence.

As for your "documents from the time saying the events happened" ... even apart from the fact that those documents ar not from "the same time", but are in fact from decades later, those same documents contain stories which are demonstrably untrue, such as the Massacre of the Innocents or the global darkness at the crufixion, and several stories (including some of the miracle tales) heavily reminiscent on stories from the earlier Jewish scriptures or blatantly shoehorning in order to fit supposed prophecies therein.

So what you want is for us to accept as true, without further evidence, some improbable stories from documents which contain known falsehoods and stories based on earlier unprovable traditions. Why the hell would we want to do that?

So what you want is for us to accept as true, without further evidence, some improbable stories from documents which contain known falsehoods and stories based on earlier unprovable traditions. Why the hell would we want to do that?

Lumpy has this strange idea that falsehoods in a document can be flensed out once their identified but do NOT detract from the credibility of the rest of the document. He's sure that documentation must be accepted unless and until each individual component can be shown to be false, else tie goes to the runner, or something.

godspower.jpeg

A premise everyone must accept: in our world, there are no miracles happening, seeing how they fail to be recorded on the zillions of mobile phone cameras everone carries around. If you think differently, show one, preferably an amputated limb growing back. In before misapplied burden of proof: you cannot reasonably ask us to show you the absence of such recordings. Probabilistic shit like spontaneous remissions, which happen at the same rate among heathens and christians, and which are touted in lieu of actual miracles like floating, virgin girls suddenly growing beards and digging tunnels under the Mediterranean, zombies walking around in Jerusalem etc. can be brought up, but will be shot down as shown.

Another premise everyone must accept: there is no reason to think this was different back then. If you think differently, tell us why do you think this to be the case, considering that your alleged god stopped causing miracles without any good explanation (except for the skepticism permeating society).

Yet another premise everyone must accept: we live in the same world as you. This is the weakest link in the deduction.

CONCLUSION: miracles don't happen.

Back
Top Bottom