• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

16 Nobel Prize Winning Economists Warn Trump Will Ruin Economy

As it happens, I know immigrant people in many different categories of workers.
Really this.
My region of Indiana has a remarkable number of central Americans. They don't all have documentation.
They also avoid government authorities as best they can. People like the cops and social services agencies. By and large, they're more law abiding and hard working than the people who were born here, that's for sure.
Tom

When 16 Nobel Prize winning economists warn the U.S. about Trump's economic incompetence, people should take this seriously.

Sixteen Nobel prize-winning economists are jumping into the presidential campaign with a stark warning: Former President Trump's plans would reignite inflation and cause lasting harm to the global economy if he wins in November.
Why it matters: The Nobel laureates are lending their academic prestige to a political argument the Biden administration has been making for weeks: Inflation would be worse under Trump.

"While each of us has different views on the particulars of various economic policies, we all agree that Joe Biden's economic agenda is vastly superior to Donald Trump," the 16 economists write in a letter, first obtained by Axios.

I attempted to read your article but failed to read anything specific as to why Trumps plans would be so much worse than Bidens. It just looks like pure political bull shit with ads popping up everywhere. The only thing your article said remotely tangible was that most people believe we are in a recession right now.....but that we really aren't. The definition of a recession used to be pretty obvious and agreed by everyone, yet since we live in the no truth virtual world now (especially government reporting and fed manipulations)you can not know whether we are in a recession or not. The only thing I know for certain about he economy is what I can observe first hand. My 401k account is doing great right now, as would be expected during while a president reality show is underway. When I eat out I notice super high prices and hardly any people at the restaurants, especially the fast food joints likes Hardy's and Windy's. My employer is slowly but surely shutting down our operations and threatening everyone with lay off during August asking us use up any unused vacation during that time. Profit sharing has been dismal for the past year or so, but before that during Trumps term we got bonus checks almost equal to our base earnings. During the pandemic we were viewed as an essential industry (steel making) and actually ran much better during pandemic than we do now.

Although your article was worthless, I have otherwise read specific differences between Trumps proposed economy and Biden proposed economy. Trump wants to eliminate income tax and replace that money lost with tariffs. According to Arthur Laffer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Laffer Trump was the best president for the US economy ever during his career. Prevailing economic theory is that whatever gets taxed always causes less of that and that does sound reasonable to me. That should imply no income tax will cause individual productivity to thrive and people wanting to work. OTOH the tariffs will cause cheap China goods not to bought. So less Chinese crap and then less garbage that immediately breaks thrown into landfills. Logically Trumps plan will produce more productivity in the US and less cheap crap coming from China but would his plan actually do this? I don't know, and I doubt we will ever find out. Because it will never be possible to eliminate the fed income tax at this point since there are too many vested lawyers and accountants who will lose their jobs without it.

In the final analysis I expect no difference to our economy who gets elected. Even though Trump has the best plan and vision, this means nothing since none of it will ever be accomplished. And we know this because he demonstrated 4 years of bragging but never doing anything he promised. Trump will again surround himself with the usual back stabbers and establishment (included the Democratic party)
who will ensure nothing good ever gets done.

When 16 Nobel Prize winning economists warn the U.S. about Trump's economic incompetence, people should take this seriously.

Sixteen Nobel prize-winning economists are jumping into the presidential campaign with a stark warning: Former President Trump's plans would reignite inflation and cause lasting harm to the global economy if he wins in November.
Why it matters: The Nobel laureates are lending their academic prestige to a political argument the Biden administration has been making for weeks: Inflation would be worse under Trump.

"While each of us has different views on the particulars of various economic policies, we all agree that Joe Biden's economic agenda is vastly superior to Donald Trump," the 16 economists write in a letter, first obtained by Axios.

I attempted to read your article but failed to read anything specific as to why Trumps plans would be so much worse than Bidens. It just looks like pure political bull shit with ads popping up everywhere. The only thing your article said remotely tangible was that most people believe we are in a recession right now.....but that we really aren't. The definition of a recession used to be pretty obvious and agreed by everyone, yet since we live in the no truth virtual world now (especially government reporting and fed manipulations)you can not know whether we are in a recession or not. The only thing I know for certain about he economy is what I can observe first hand. My 401k account is doing great right now, as would be expected during while a president reality show is underway. When I eat out I notice super high prices and hardly any people at the restaurants, especially the fast food joints likes Hardy's and Windy's. My employer is slowly but surely shutting down our operations and threatening everyone with lay off during August asking us use up any unused vacation during that time. Profit sharing has been dismal for the past year or so, but before that during Trumps term we got bonus checks almost equal to our base earnings. During the pandemic we were viewed as an essential industry (steel making) and actually ran much better during pandemic than we do now.

Although your article was worthless, I have otherwise read specific differences between Trumps proposed economy and Biden proposed economy. Trump wants to eliminate income tax and replace that money lost with tariffs. According to Arthur Laffer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Laffer Trump was the best president for the US economy ever during his career. Prevailing economic theory is that whatever gets taxed always causes less of that and that does sound reasonable to me. That should imply no income tax will cause individual productivity to thrive and people wanting to work. OTOH the tariffs will cause cheap China goods not to bought. So less Chinese crap and then less garbage that immediately breaks thrown into landfills. Logically Trumps plan will produce more productivity in the US and less cheap crap coming from China but would his plan actually do this? I don't know, and I doubt we will ever find out. Because it will never be possible to eliminate the fed income tax at this point since there are too many vested lawyers and accountants who will lose their jobs without it.

In the final analysis I expect no difference to our economy who gets elected. Even though Trump has the best plan and vision, this means nothing since none of it will ever be accomplished. And we know this because he demonstrated 4 years of bragging but never doing anything he promised. Trump will again surround himself with the usual back stabbers and establishment (included the Democratic party)
Ok, you cited Laffer which means that what you wrote has no basis in reality.

Trump’s proposals would harm ordinary citizens who would have to pay higher prices while benefiting the uber-wealthy who currently pay more in taxes and who can afford higher prices whatever their effective tax rate is.

Trump’s proposals would harm ordinary citizens who would have to pay higher prices while benefiting the uber-wealthy who currently pay more in taxes and who can afford higher prices whatever their effective tax rate is.
Trumps proposal would simply take us back in time to what the US had from 1860 to 1913. No income tax but tariffs. A thriving industrial economy during times of lower prices for the middle class and creative inventions like the electric light bulb and airplane.

It was Arthur Laffer that hornswoggled Bobby Jindal and Governor Brownback into imposing supply Side Voo Doo economics on Kansas and Louisiana. Both states suffered tremendously by slashing taxes as per Laffer's prescription. Laffer is chief economist at ALEC. Still peddling massive tax cuts. Trump loved the idea. The disasters of these two states following Laffer's stupidity is hard evidence for all to see. Laffer is an idiot, Supply Side economics is cretinous and massive tax cuts do not pay for themselves. Trump's massive tax cuts gave us $7.8 trillions in debts. Almost 1/4 of America's National debt, the debt that makes MAGAt politicians hyperventilate in rage.

Trumps proposal would simply take us back in time to what the US had from 1860 to 1913. No income tax but tariffs. A thriving industrial economy during times of lower prices for the middle class and creative inventions like the electric light bulb and airplane.
OMFG! If anyone heard an explosion, it was the buried bodies of Eugene Debs and Samuel Gompers exploding in their graves. Williams Jennings Bryan's body also burst, but it was a whimper in the wind.

Do you know nothing about economics and labor of the late 19th and early 20th centuries? America grew mighty from the blood, bones, and skin of the American laborers. I mean Jebus! You want to go back to no union, blacklisting? Why not no social security, no Medicare while we're at it?! The late 19th century/ early 20th century was the left-wing populist movement to get labor the fuck out of that situation! And you are falling for a far right-wing populist movement, that doesn't give a fuck about you.

Last edited:

I do realize that Trump and his cronies would like to take us back to 1860 but they’d prefer the south win the war. But even if the south remained defeated, Trump woukd prefer that we return to the days of strict color codes and strict gender roles where certain people could be treated as property, without any of those so called human rights.

I'm seeing a lot of me, me, me in that post. The article was pretty clear and straightforward. Frankly, my bet is you didn't even read the article because there were no pop up ads, no ads at all. And I turned off my ad blocker to be sure.

The proposal by the donald to swap taxes for tariffs is almost impossible. It would certainly make the great depression look like a party.

And if we produced all of our goods and imported nothing then the government would have no revenue at all. So we then go back to taxes. Clearly this is a proposal that has not been thought through. It's something for that MAGAts to think is great. And then you have idiots like Laffer, the most disgraced economist of the last century. weighing in. The Clinton administration soundly disproved Laffer's trickle down conjecture (I won't call it a theory).

Really? What exactly is Trump's plan and vision?

Backstabbers? They were, according to Trump, the very best people. Now most of them say Trump should never be near another elected office. Here is a not all inclusive list.:

Vice President Mike Pence
Former attorney general William P. Barr
White House chief of staff John Kelly.
Former defense secretary Mark T. Esper
Former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson
Former White House counsel Ty Cobb
Former U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton
Former secretary of defense James 'Jim' Mattis, a retired four-star general nicknamed 'Mad Dog'.
Former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley
White House director of strategic communications and assistant to the president Alyssa Farah Griffin

And I repeat the question because I really want to know, What exactly is Trump's plan and vision?

OMFG! If anyone heard an explosion, it was the buried bodies of Eugene Debs and Samuel Gompers exploding in their graves. Williams Jennings Bryan's body also burst, but it was a whimper in the wind.

Do you know nothing about economics and labor of the late 19th and early 20th centuries? America grew mighty from the blood, bones, and skin of the American laborers. I mean Jebus! You want to go back to no union, blacklisting? Why not no social security, no Medicare while we're at it?!
Actually no SS and no Medicare as well as no Medicaid ( this one is silently understood) is on the list. Also civil rights, environmental protections, women’s rights, worker safety

Do you know nothing about economics and labor of the late 19th and early 20th centuries? America grew mighty from the blood, bones, and skin of the American laborers. I mean Jebus! You want to go back to no union, blacklisting? Why not no social security, no Medicare while we're at it?!
Actually no SS and no Medicare as well as no Medicaid ( this one is silently understood) is on the list. Also civil rights, environmental protections, women’s rights, worker safety
Basically no government protections at all.

Do you know nothing about economics and labor of the late 19th and early 20th centuries? America grew mighty from the blood, bones, and skin of the American laborers. I mean Jebus! You want to go back to no union, blacklisting? Why not no social security, no Medicare while we're at it?! The late 19th century/ early 20th century was the left-wing populist movement to get labor the fuck out of that situation! And you are falling for a far right-wing populist movement, that doesn't give a fuck about you.
Yet another lesson in how
Socialism Made America Great!
It really did and the evidence is all around us.
Tom

Who said anything about unions? Trumps plan is no income replaced with tariffs. We had wagon trains, horses, and other things in the 1800 that weren't related too.

As far as I know. There are no politicians out there proposing no SS and no Medicare with the possible exception of Rand Paul. I've not heard anything like that coming from Trump.

Question for you, RVonse. Do you really enjoy being humiliated every time Trump suggests something totally stupid and you take the word of radio and TV sycophants and liars then repeat it here?

When will you finally get it through your head that these people are lying to you?

Who said anything about unions? Trumps plan is no income replaced with tariffs. We had wagon trains, horses, and other things in the 1800 that weren't related too.
You referenced the "thriving industrial economy" which was in large part due to abusing the fuck out of labor. Immigrant and locals alike.

And we haven't begun to talk about the the "thriving" economy consistently suffering from depressions and panics. You know, it'd help if you read a book or two and actually understood our history.

It was Arthur Laffer that hornswoggled Bobby Jindal and Governor Brownback into imposing supply Side Voo Doo economics on Kansas and Louisiana. Both states suffered tremendously by slashing taxes as per Laffer's prescription. Laffer is chief economist at ALEC. Still peddling massive tax cuts. Trump loved the idea. The disasters of these two states following Laffer's stupidity is hard evidence for all to see. Laffer is an idiot, Supply Side economics is cretinous and massive tax cuts do not pay for themselves. Trump's massive tax cuts gave us $7.8 trillions in debts. Almost 1/4 of America's National debt, the debt that makes MAGAt politicians hyperventilate in rage.
Kansas may have gone too far. Too far left or the curve. Other states have had better results: https://taxfoundation.org/blog/kansas-experiment-kansas-tax-cuts-critique/

But a comparison between states and the federal government is probably flawed anyway. Because the federal government can levy tariffs on other countries for a lost source of revenue which the states can not.

As far as I know. There are no politicians out there proposing no SS and no Medicare with the possible exception of Rand Paul. I've not heard anything like that coming from Trump.

Kernen, March 11: There are stark policy differences, obviously, Mr. President, but one thing that I think that at least the perception is that there’s not a whole lot of difference between what you think we should do with entitlements or non-discretionary spending and what President Biden is proposing. It’s almost a third rail of politics. And we’ve got to what a $33, $34 trillion total debt built up and very little we can do in terms of cutting spending. Discretionary is not going to help. Have you changed your, your outlook on how to handle entitlements Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Mr. President? Seems like something has to be done, or else we’re going to be stuck at 120% of debt-to-GDP forever.

Trump: So first of all, there is a lot you can do in terms of entitlements in terms of cuttingand in terms of also the theft and the bad management of entitlements, tremendous bad management of entitlements. There’s tremendous amounts of things and numbers of things you can do. So I don’t necessarily agree with the statement. I know that they’re going to end up weakening Social Security because the country is weak.
Now, I will be the first to admit that it is impossible to know for certain what Trump meant. But a large part of that is because Trump says so much that is incomprehensible and changes from moment to moment.

And I repeat the question because I really want to know, What exactly is Trump's plan and vision?
For the economy, tariffs in place of income tax.
You want to shift, what, $1.5 trillion in income tax to a sales tax on imported goods, which is like almost everything. You have absurd idea that production will magically shift back to the US because of that? That isn't how things work. Why don't Trump supporters understand this?

Back
Top Bottom