• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

17% of Americans think interracial marriage is immoral

Of course it's wrong!

Homo sapiens should not engage in sexual relations with neanderthals!

Agreed. Don't ask me how I know this, but trust me when I say that it's the kind of thing which really pisses off the museum staff.

...based on the new high-quality genome, modern populations carry between 1.8 to 2.6 percent Neanderthal DNA—that’s higher than the previous estimates of about 1.5 to 2.1 percent. More specifically, East Asians have about 2.3 to 2.6 percent Neanderthal DNA, while people from western Europe and Asia have retained about 1.8 to 2.4 percent DNA. African populations have virtually none because their ancestors did not mate with Neanderthals.
https://gizmodo.com/humans-have-even-more-neanderthal-dna-than-we-realized-1819182225

:p

Since morality is subjective, why does it matter that 17% of Americans think interracial marriage is immoral? We should be free to approve or disapprove of others' actions however we want. The only thing that should be prohibited is unfair discrimination on the grounds of that opinion.

Laws are kind of based on popular opinion of morality. If enough people thought something was immoral, it would inevitably become illegal.

(EDITED TO ADD: ... if practically enforceable, I should add.)

And in the case of inter-racial marriage... was in fact illegal at one time.

I am married to a third generation Arabic American. My late mother in law didn't like that her sons married non Arabic women. It was more about culture than about ethnicity. She eventually bonded with me because we both grew up in New Jersey.

Yeah, the racism often comes from the non-white side.

From whites, I have not encountered any objection to the fact that I'm married to a Chinese other than from some KKK types. However, there are parts of her family that I have never met and most likely never will. While they know she's married to an American they think I'm ethnic Chinese--and would not be happy that I'm not. We have encountered other racism over there, also. The craziest thing I have encountered, though, was a couple of Chinese waitresses. They had no problem with her being married to me--until they found out it was for love, not just to get a green card.

Damn, that is mercenary.

The idea of a green card marriage isn't exactly alien in the immigrant community. What I can't understand is how it could be acceptable but love not be acceptable. (And note that we walked into that place with my hand on her shoulder--it was obviously not just a sham where there's no sex involved.)

And in the case of inter-racial marriage... was in fact illegal at one time.

Which is a big part of why I'm strongly for gays having the right to marry. For most people cohabitation only isn't that big a limiting factor, but for a few that piece of paper is critical. There was no other possible solution to the visa issues, it was marry or separate.

Back
Top Bottom