• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

300 MPG Car Is Not Allowed In America Because It’s Too Efficient

No, the total car sales are a million. Total Aussie auto manufacturing is less than 200.000.

The thing is there were still a million more tailpipes in Australia, whether they were made there or not. The place is busy outfitting itself with these cars. You seem to feel the union has ruined what amounted to a sick auto market in the first place. My understanding of Australia is that its population being so diffuse would be highly reliant on road and off road vehicles. I feel Australia represents a big challenge to alternative energy because of the great expanses not offering a lot of sustenance to the population. Every challenge of this nature should also be an opportunity for new technology to take hold and develop. Of course this would rely on the government actually supporting and subsidizing projects. How are they doing in that area? I get little news from Australia.

Pegasus: Did you just tell us you are stuck in the '80's? Teslas, I hear have one tall price tag. I have seen a few of them here and they are classy looking, but in my eyes neither practical nor significant. Their market is the rich niche...and there clearly is one in today's oligarchical America.

I've been around for quite awhile for a human and have watched all the antics of our extremely unfree market. These lighter cars are more adaptable to all electric operation. Here in NoHo, somebody actually adapted a Yugo to all battery power. When I hear all this talk about wheelbarrows and rickety uncool cars, I can only assume you like Cool-aid. I had a new Ford Explorer in 1985 myself. This vanity idea when it comes to transportation is poisoning our atmosphere. We actually have to learn new ways. It is my guess that we can have that and our comfort too. We are a truly unique species and have a lot of good science to use if we can just get over being so fucking macho.

This month, I drove my Camry a total of 12 miles and my bicycle many times that and I am comfortable and people I deal with respect me. We will see a lot of change in the near future and I suspect if we can just avoid war long enough, the human condition can actually improve.:)

I do not know what caused the failure of this system but it likely was hydrogen infrastructure.

Another idea. Many cities use trolleybuses, electric buses powered by overhead wires like trolleys. They have been in use for decades. With improving battery technology, it should be easy to outfit them with batteries so they can run "off the grid" and serve outlying areas and then recharge when they are back "on the grid" in city centers without having to be out of service for recharge. That would also allow them to temporarily decouple for rerouting/traffic purposes as well.

General Motors streetcar conspiracy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pacific Electric Railway streetcars stacked at a junkyard on Terminal Island, Los Angeles County, California, March 1956
The General Motors streetcar conspiracy (also known as the Great American streetcar scandal) refers to allegations and convictions in relation to a program by General Motors (GM) and other companies who purchased and then dismantled streetcar and electric train systems in many cities in the United States.

Between 1936 and 1950, National City Lines and Pacific City Lines—with investment from GM, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California, Phillips Petroleum, Mack Trucks, and the Federal Engineering Corporation—purchased over 100 electric surface-traction systems in 45 cities including Baltimore, Newark, Los Angeles, New York City, Oakland and San Diego and converted them into bus operation. Several of the companies involved were convicted in 1949 of conspiracy to monopolize interstate commerce but were acquitted of conspiring to monopolize the ownership of these companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

But many US cities still have them which proves the conspiracy is just that, a conspiracy theory akin to the moon landings and who shot Kennedy.

Pegasus: Did you just tell us you are stuck in the '80's? Teslas, I hear have one tall price tag. I have seen a few of them here and they are classy looking, but in my eyes neither practical nor significant. Their market is the rich niche...and there clearly is one in today's oligarchical America.
Tesla S competes with luxury sedans which are not affordable for most, yes. But Tesla had a good idea in making high end products first. That is because if you put electric technology into a small (sub)compact car it will be much more expensive than comparable conventional cars. But you can make a roadster or luxury sedan comparable in price with those on the market already. Then as technology matures you can move downmarket using the profits and experience from your up-market products. Pretty much all new technology was introduced in higher end vehicles first (some people watch Mercedes S class to see what they may be able to have in 10 years time) - why should electric powertrains be any different?

I've been around for quite awhile for a human and have watched all the antics of our extremely unfree market. These lighter cars are more adaptable to all electric operation.
What does Tesla's approach have to do with markets being "unfree"? And you are confusing "lighter" with a market segment. Lotus Elise (basis for Tesla Roadster) is extremely light. Not cheap though. VW XL1 concept? Light but also very expensive.

Here in NoHo, somebody actually adapted a Yugo to all battery power.
So what's his range? Power? How much did it cost him?

But many US cities still have them which proves the conspiracy is just that, a conspiracy theory akin to the moon landings and who shot Kennedy.
So you're saying that since they weren't able to squash the mass transit in all cities they didn't do it in any cities? Can you spot the flaw in your logic?

This is the part where I turn over the table, pull out my pistol and demand, "Who sent you!"

Instead of conspiracy, call it a business model. Better than that, call it "forward thinking government planning." It all seemed like a great idea at the time. The problem with mass transit, especially rail transit, is the right and left turns. If a property developer wants to build 500 single family houses, there's no way to build all of them within walking distance of a train station. The obvious solution is to provide a road to every door step and depend on the residents to supply their own car. The car becomes our emblem of personal freedom and mobility.

Can anyone come up with a viable argument against personal freedom and mobility? Does anyone remember Houston's light rail system? Yeah, I thought so.

Does anyone remember Houston's light rail system? Yeah, I thought so.

The one I know about ran on regular rail lines. A bit before my time, but my parents used to ride it. Called the Interurban. The cars ran out on rail lines as far east as Baytown. In Houston, they'd leave the rails and drive around town like buses. A cool system. A link with pic:

http://www.ourbaytown.com/Interurban.htm

Edited to add: an interurban line ran between Houston and Galveston as well.

main.php

Aprox 40 years ago these ruled the streets. I'll bet many a local government wishes we still had them.

Depends on the usage of the word. A conspiracy by the government to keep UFO activity a secret is a loosely used word to describe nut jobs. The same as using the word conspiracy to withhold a 300MPG car from the public is not credible.

Does anyone remember Houston's light rail system? Yeah, I thought so.

The one I know about ran on regular rail lines. A bit before my time, but my parents used to ride it. Called the Interurban. The cars ran out on rail lines as far east as Baytown. In Houston, they'd leave the rails and drive around town like buses. A cool system. A link with pic:

http://www.ourbaytown.com/Interurban.htm

Edited to add: an interurban line ran between Houston and Galveston as well.

All of that was dismantled when Houston City fathers decided to build an infrastructure which catered to rubber tires. It was seen as a great leap forward.

Depends on the usage of the word. A conspiracy by the government to keep UFO activity a secret is a loosely used word to describe nut jobs. The same as using the word conspiracy to withhold a 300MPG car from the public is not credible.

The thing which makes the 300MPG conspiracy so silly is that Progressive Insurance has a competition to design and build a 100MPG car. The prize is $10million. It would be too easy to simply ship one of those 300MPG Volkswagons and just peel off all the VW logos.

Given the way many folk around here drive their cars, they would turn a 100 mpg car into a 35 mpg car and talk about being lied to by the car companies.

Rarely do cars get the economies advertised by the manufacturer. In the real world a car advertised it can do 50MPG will be lucky to do 35-40 MPG driven by an average driver.

First some folks will bend over backwards and touch their ankles to defend the energy interest here in America. It is kind of like "thank you can I have another" concerning why does the most technologically advanced country in the history of Mankind not have the ability to market a car that gets 100 mpg? And IMO it is an interesting answer. We have the technology, the means and even today the demand. So what gives?
As you said, you have to be able to market it. Engineering is all about compromise. If you push mileage, you have to sacrifice something - performance, size, comfort/features or price. And different people will have different needs/preferences. Traditionally, mileage was a low priority for Americans due to relatively low gas prices compared to Europe and size is favored over performance due to ridiculously low speed limits.

In 1978 I thought that I was so F ing cool when I ordered a brand new 1978 Trans Am at 18. It was custom ordered with all the shit and got about 18 mpg with a 400, 6.6L. turbo 400 transmActyission.
Actually that is not that bad for the era. And besides, my dad's V6 Highlander gets about that much in the city.

If you floored it on the freeway going to Las Vegas you could actually watch the gas gauge move.
To be honest, if you push any car to the limit the mileage will suffer. Top Gear once did an experiment where they had a Prius go around their track with a BMW M3 following it. Because Prius was driven as fast as possible and M3 hardly broke a sweat keeping up it actually used less gas! That is also a reason why (at least outside the US where a variety of engines are on offer per model) taking the smallest engine is not a good choice if it means you will have to go full throttle a lot!

In 1979 will had the second gas crisis. You remember odd days even days to buy gas and the panicked ensued.
No, quite a bit before my time.

In 1978 the Volkswagen Rabbit diesel had a waiting list to get/order as it got 40 mpg. It was a cool chick car and came in a convertible. Fast forward to today 35 odd years later and you be lucky to get 40 mpg in your car. What gives?
Well for one a 78 Golf Mk1 (aka Rabbit) only had 48 brake horse power. On a modern, Mk7 Golf the smallest diesel engine (as part of the Bluemotion line) produces 90 bhp and the overall car is bigger, almost twice as heavy and has many more safety and other features. And still it gets much better mileage than the Mk1, at 73 mpg.
Also the driveablility of diesel engines has improved a lot in the last few decades.

Is there some kind of energy/auto interest collusion going on for the last 40 years? I would say yes and no. Are they trying to keep this awesome concept car the XL1 out of the American markets? Well not in today's mpg conscious market. So why has it only been lately that little light weight wheel barrels of cars have taken to the mainstream if the gas shocker of the 70's happen so long ago? Why are the cars today barley getting a little over 40-50 mpg when the cars were almost getting this in the 70's? And the answer has been brought up here and there in this thread. It is all about marketing. The great America way is to make you want and buy shit you do not need and or drains your pocket book. It is the American way of waste and conspicuous consumption. Our vehicles are our statements and our status symbols in this rat race.
Well oil shocks of the 70s produced some small, fuel efficient cars. But the technology was still such that they were by and large horrible. And then you had the oil glut of the 90s which gave us very cheap gas and monstrosities like Ford Excursion and the Hummer. I think the technology is now ready for more fuel efficient cars that don't suck.

Look at the remake of the Mustang, the Camarro, the Challenger, etc in today's domestic market.They all pretty much suck at mpg. The Ford, Dodge, Chevy and GMC trucks are the mainstay in the auto industry.
Yes, but even many truck ads advertise with efficiency. You would not have seen that 10 years ago.

And how many people are usually in these trucks? Why usually one person! So the marketing aspect of driving cars, trucks and SUV's that get a MPG just south of 20 mpg is one of reflection. And we always hear the need and utility of big cars and trucks. You know my kids, my stuff and my need for the safety of my kinds and stuff. IMO all just marketing ploys.
I think it is pretty ridiculous that many parents think they need a minivan or SUV as soon as they pop out their second child. There is plenty of room in the back of a regular car.

We have the technology to get 100 mpg cars and trucks on the roadway today. Yet the people will not want to drive these kind of cars because the perception and the cool factor. I mean look how stupid the H2 was in the 90's and 2000's. It is obvious that the car manufactures make more money selling bigger cars that get lesser mpg. And marketing has done this quite well for years.
Well a 100 mpg vehicle would be pretty limited size and performance wise no matter the technology. But if you could get a fleet average to double in the next 10 years that'd be a big accomplishment.

It is obvious that marketing cars with lower mpg's is a pleasant added plus for the energy interest. And since the first gas crisis cars today are barley getting better mpg then 40 years ago. So the question beckons why?
As I said with the 78 Golf Diesel, cars nowadays are bigger, have more features (including safety features, that Golf had neither air bags nor ABS) and are therefore heavier and still get better mileage.

GM had a whole line of electric cars in the 80's that were all recalled. Why did they have to kill the electric domestic car in the 80's? And of course you are going to hear that is was the, fill in the gap; the batteries, the safety issue, the parts cost too much and so on and so forth.
It was mid-90s rather than 80s but basically the technology wasn't ready yet. Hell, the first EV1 used lead-acid batteries! Also, gas prices were low making gasoline cars more competitive.
Tesla can do it against all the attacks and odds. So why can not the others do it?
Much more mature technology (lithium ion batteries, very efficient motor), higher gas prices, starting with an existing platform to save costs (Lotus Elise), conscious decision to start upmarket with performance and luxury cars where high price of electric technology would not adversely affect the overall price like it would in the economy market segment.
And the others are doing it. I can't drive more than a few miles around here without spotting a Nissan Leaf. Ford is making an electric Focus, VW an electric Golf, BMW an electric i3 and hybrid i8. McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 Spyder are competing hybrid electric supercars. The dam has been broken.

More and more Americans are following their European counterparts and understanding that a car is to get you from point A to B.
I think Europeans like their cars as much as Americans but put on average different emphasis on different things. After all, most luxury and sports car brands are European.
But man or man I tell you. My brother's Pirus sure sucks. It is about a few inches above the ground and rides like a wheel barrel. But it looks cool though even with the lame ass interior and winky dink tires! I shall take my Ford Explorer any day of the week over those match boxes on wheels. At least it holds my dog and the ice chest with ease. Ah nothing like America.
It's Ford Explorer you are comparing it to? Really? :) Between the two I'd sue take the Prius.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom