• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

34 Soldiers Suffered Traumatic Brain Injury from Iran Attack

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Okay, so no one was hurt in Iraq... but 34 soldiers have sought treatment or monitoring, half of them outside of Iraq, for concussion like issues. Trump has referred to them as "headaches"... and nothing bad like dealing with bonespurs.

article said:
The Pentagon said Friday that 34 U.S. troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries suffered in this month's Iranian missile strike on an Iraqi air base, and that half of the troops have returned to their military duties.

Seventeen of the 34 are still under medical observation, according to Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesman.
This is what is confusing me. "Traumatic brain injuries" sounds worse than a concussion... but maybe it is just a concussion. Is this typical from a blast or did an Iranian shell land very close to where some soldiers were bunkered?

article said:
Hoffman said that of the 34 with TBI, 18 were evacuated from Iraq to U.S. medical facilities in Germany and Kuwait, and 16 stayed in Iraq. Seventeen of the 18 evacuees were sent to Germany, and nine remain there; the other eight have been transported to the United States for continued observation or treatment.
This is the real confusing part. Eight went back to the US... for observation and treatment? Were these guys two days from retirement? Not enough beds in Germany?

Okay, so no one was hurt in Iraq... but 34 soldiers have sought treatment or monitoring, half of them outside of Iraq, for concussion like issues. Trump has referred to them as "headaches"... and nothing bad like dealing with bonespurs.

article said:
The Pentagon said Friday that 34 U.S. troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries suffered in this month's Iranian missile strike on an Iraqi air base, and that half of the troops have returned to their military duties.

Seventeen of the 34 are still under medical observation, according to Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesman.
This is what is confusing me. "Traumatic brain injuries" sounds worse than a concussion... but maybe it is just a concussion. Is this typical from a blast or did an Iranian shell land very close to where some soldiers were bunkered?

article said:
Hoffman said that of the 34 with TBI, 18 were evacuated from Iraq to U.S. medical facilities in Germany and Kuwait, and 16 stayed in Iraq. Seventeen of the 18 evacuees were sent to Germany, and nine remain there; the other eight have been transported to the United States for continued observation or treatment.
This is the real confusing part. Eight went back to the US... for observation and treatment? Were these guys two days from retirement? Not enough beds in Germany?

I don't think you understand the effects of high ordinance exploding nearby.

Concussions, especially those from a hypersonic blast, are devastating. It isn't "oh, someone hit me on the head", it's ""my brain cells were literally in the way of a shock wave that was powerful enough to rip apart a steel she'll like it was tissue paper".

Yes, there's a cube rate falloff of force to distance, but the shape of such a blast wave compresses and subsequently tears at everything it passes through, and there isn't much of anything that can block it out. It's MUCH more violent than getting tackled and concussed in a football game, and even that is no joke. Like being hit by a hammer, but the hammer has the force of a fucking bomb, and is as unavoidable as the air itself. Because it's a fucking bomb.

Can you imagine the outrage if Obama had done this to the soldiers?

Concussions, especially those from a hypersonic blast, are devastating. It isn't "oh, someone hit me on the head", it's ""my brain cells were literally in the way of a shock wave that was powerful enough to rip apart a steel she'll like it was tissue paper".

Yes, there's a cube rate falloff of force to distance, but the shape of such a blast wave compresses and subsequently tears at everything it passes through, and there isn't much of anything that can block it out. It's MUCH more violent than getting tackled and concussed in a football game, and even that is no joke. Like being hit by a hammer, but the hammer has the force of a fucking bomb, and is as unavoidable as the air itself. Because it's a fucking bomb.
I’m not familiar with it, hence my confusion, but does this imply a near miss?

There is no such thing as a "near miss" if you are within The supersonic blast wave of a high ordinance.

...and then LIED about it???
Pearl-clutching Republicans would have driven the cost of smelling salts through the roof.

Yea, there is such a fucking double standard regarding military deaths. How about the Niger ambush that left 4 US troopers dead. Total incompetence. But no one comments. It was far worse that Benghazi.

Shock wave video:

Shock wave video:

To reiterate, when you get harmed by the shockwave, you have not been missed, the shockwave is part of the weapon. It's like saying getting your arm ripped off by a .50 cal round that passed within a centimeter of the surface of said arm "missed" you. It didn't; your arm is still gone. Likewise with high ordinance, you still have brain damage.

Report: Trump’s Approval Rating Nosedives Among Active-Duty Servicemembers

About half of active duty U.S. military personnel disapprove of President Donald Trump as commander in chief because of his decisions to withdraw from Syria and his approach to building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, a poll of the armed forces found.

Although the president frequently flaunts his support for the troops, saying in June “I can tell you, there’s nobody that respects the military more than your President, Donald Trump,” the feeling isn’t mutual.

U.S. forces publication Military Times surveyed 1,630 active duty troops in conjunction with Syracuse University and found that 49.9% of respondents had an unfavorable view of Trump, while 45.1% viewed him very unfavorably.

Only 45.1% of military personnel had a favorable view of the president, falling just lower than his general public approval ratings.

This is from last December. I wonder how they feel today after this fiasco.

The number is now 50 service members diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries.

This is, what, third number revealed? Fourth?
Does 'none' count as a number?

And there were 200 people in the blast zone. Should we start a pool for the final tally? Or will some of the injuries not show up until separation, as they try for disability payments?

And there were 200 people in the blast zone. Should we start a pool for the final tally? Or will some of the injuries not show up until separation, as they try for disability payments?

Good, they all deserved it and worse. I'm serious, and if you disagree I'd like to know why. Do you think there is any morally good or even neutral reason to voluntarily enlist in the United States armed forces and head to a country they utterly destroyed, set up military bases, and defend American oil company interests amid nationwide protests demanding that you leave?

Good, they all deserved it and worse. I'm serious, and if you disagree I'd like to know why.
I don't worship soldiers. The uniform means nothing to me. It could be a psychopath in those colors or it could be a genuine hero wearing it... or it could be another Keith&Co waiting to prank us accidentally into WWIV. So, without knowing who they are, what they've done, I tend towards the side of less harm.
Luckily no one suffered bone spurs from the attack.

I don't worship soldiers. The uniform means nothing to me. It could be a psychopath in those colors or it could be a genuine hero wearing it... or it could be another Keith&Co waiting to prank us accidentally into WWIV. So, without knowing who they are, what they've done, I tend towards the side of less harm.
Me too, which is why I support any outcome that harms or kills the primary force for harm in the region and in the world.

Me too, which is why I support any outcome that harms or kills the primary force for harm in the region and in the world.
That wouldn't be a "me too" then.

Good, they all deserved it and worse. I'm serious,
Did anyone think you were joking?
and if you disagree I'd like to know why. Do you think there is any morally good or even neutral reason to voluntarily enlist in the United States armed forces and head to a country they utterly destroyed, set up military bases, and defend American oil company interests amid nationwide protests demanding that you leave?
So, dumping a whole lot of other people's decisions on the guy in the bunker, like Half-Life blaming ALL LIBERALS as "Leftists", responsible for anything anyone to the left of Far Right has ever said or did.

So, not joking, but still kind of hard to take it seriously, if you blame any GI who was in the bunker for a decision about deployment.

Back
Top Bottom