• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

4 Proud Boys convicted of sedition

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
Not completely sure where to post this but because it relates to the 2020 election, I'm bringing it here. Please move if it belongs somewhere else better.

My speculation is that the conviction of four of the Proud Boys as well as convictions of Oath Keepers might lay the groundwork for sedition charges for Trump and his inner cronies.

The sedition charge, which is rarely used and harks back to the Union’s efforts to protect the federal government against secessionist rebels during the Civil War, was also used in two separate trials against nine members of another far-right group, the Oath Keepers militia. Six of those defendants — including Stewart Rhodes, the organization’s founder and leader — were convicted of sedition; each of the others was found guilty of different serious felonies.

As the verdicts were read in the fourth-floor courtroom, Mr. Tarrio, Mr. Pezzola and the other defendants — Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs and Zachary Rehl — remained steely. With the exception of Mr. Pezzola, the men were also found guilty of conspiring to obstruct the certification of the election, which took place at the Capitol on Jan. 6. All five defendants were convicted of a third conspiracy count as well, which accused them of interfering with the duties of members of Congress that day.

On the conspiracy counts alone — in addition to guilty verdicts on other felony charges — the men could face a maximum of nearly 50 years in prison.

Gifting this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/04/...MWFdZwM6vOafecDmI_BRgMmwlXAI0Y&smid=url-share

I'd say it fits pretty well right here. This was an attempt to overturn the results of the US Presidential election.

Will it lay the groundwork for charges against Trump and his inner circle? No. Trump is very much like that mob boss who walks into a store he wants protection money from and says "it would be a shame if this place burned down, wouldn't it?" He didn't set the fire, didn't pay anyone directly, and can say in court that he had no idea the shop would burn down on that particular day.

Trump and his cronies are facing legal jeopardy to be sure, but they were very careful to insulate themselves from liability for inspiring these idiots.

Will it lay the groundwork for charges against Trump and his inner circle? No.
It is interesting though, that their defense was largely “Trump made me do it”, which one doesn’t hear much from mob underlings.

I agree with Elixir here: Both the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers—and many of those present on the 1/6 events claimed that they were there because Trump told them to be there. And Trump has a very public Twitter record, plus a documented history of using Twitter to conduct official business as POTUS.

I think these convictions on charges of sedition really set the stage.

I wish! He is guilty, as all heck... of instigating a riot that got people killed. And it wasn't remotely spur of the moment either. This was instigated, quite intentionally. But lawyers... was the President... convicting on sedition will be next to impossible. This is why impeachment exists! So Congress can manage the problem. They aren't limited by the judicial system nearly as much, when it comes to dealing with a President that commits a terrible crime.

I wish! He is guilty, as all heck... of instigating a riot that got people killed. And it wasn't remotely spur of the moment either. This was instigated, quite intentionally. But lawyers... was the President... convicting on sedition will be next to impossible. This is why impeachment exists! So Congress can manage the problem. They aren't limited by the judicial system nearly as much, when it comes to dealing with a President that commits a terrible crime.
We’ve seen just how flawed the impeachment process truly is. For purposes of maintaining political power only, the GOP failed to vote to impeach Trump. Bill Clinton was impeached because of an inappropriate relationship with an intern—again, politics motivated the charges and the votes.

Given the conspiracy has been legally established, I have some hopes for actual charges of sedition fir Trump and the possibility of conviction if the state makes its case well enough.

Convicted seditionist, Enrique Tarrio, has lots of fine memories to look back on as he makes his way to his prison cell.

We’ve seen just how flawed the impeachment process truly is. For purposes of maintaining political power only, the GOP failed to vote to impeach Trump. Bill Clinton was impeached because of an inappropriate relationship with an intern—again, politics motivated the charges and the votes.

Given the conspiracy has been legally established, I have some hopes for actual charges of sedition fir Trump and the possibility of conviction if the state makes its case well enough.
Impeachment really is nothing more than a litmus test to see if the governing party is still unified. It should be something else, but it isn't.

ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY SEVEN.
Orange Nostradumbass waited ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY SEVEN MINUTES before he told the rioters to quit and go home (and that he loved them.) Before that he watched them on his TV. I'm ready to put the cuffs on now.

Back
Top Bottom