• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

50 reasons to doubt Christianity

Like I said, being religious is a genetic proclivity, or a choice. Or not. Being an asshole is a genetic proclivity, or choice, or not.

So you say. You missed out the part where you demonstrate that it is true.

There is no such thing as being 'religious' with no further qualification. If you ask a random person about his religion, he will rarely say 'I am religious'; He will say 'I am a Roman Catholic", or "I am a Buddhist", or 'I am a Sunni Muslim", or whatever.

There is no religion/atheism divide; there is a fractured landscape of thousands of religions, and everyone rejects almost all of them. Atheists simply reject one more than everybody else. There is no genetic basis for this; I suspect that you don't understand how genes actually operate if you think that there is.

There is almost certainly a genetic element to the predisposition to believe what one is told by authority figures - parents, priests, politicians, etc. - and those with a strong genetic tendency to belief are more likely to remain religious rather than become atheists if raised in a religion; but such people are also more likely to remain atheists than they are to become religious, if raised by atheists. Such people are the majority; they arrive at their belief by trusting what others tell them, rather than by searching for the answers independently. In my experience, most people in the UK (where I grew up) are atheists for this reason - they have never really thought about religion, but they 'know' it is silly because everyone else thinks it is.

I read what you wrote; If I have misunderstood what you oppose after having done so, the fault is with your poor communication skills. I can read your posts, but not your mind. If I have missed the point you wanted to make, then so be it; That doesn't change my position, it just means we are talking past each other. Throwing in a smiley might indicate that you are joking; or it might just be an indication that you are being passive-aggressive. From this side of the screen, I can't tell which with any certainty, so caveat auctor.

You say you oppose hate; but if that is true, why are you such an asshole about it? ;)

Like I said, being religious is a genetic proclivity, or a choice. Or not. Being an asshole is a genetic proclivity, or choice, or not.

Oh, don't you remember Pope Mendel's interfaith marriages?
A Catholic/Baptist couple has one Catholic, One Baptist and two Episcopalian children?

According to you saying it's a genetic proclivity, a choice, or not does not cover all the options? "Or not" covers a whole wide variety of possibilities.

And like I said, I seek to uncover double standards of thoughts (in myself and others), and by diligence in my application of high standards to my thought processes, I've learned to recognize various methods of showing others their unproductive hatred, prejudice, and bigotry:

"And really, when you see hate, you might as well expose it for what it is so that someone can modify there behaviors. Even if you have to get someone to attack a strawman you set up in order to show them that their hatred is also bad.

If you do not analyze your own behaviors, and hold yourself to a high standard, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution."

And the mention of Poe's law was thrown in IN CASE the posts here were satirical as opposed to hate driven. Sometimes someone acts like an asshole to be funny, sometimes someone acts like an asshole because they are full of shit.

Looks like you put a lot of work into that. More power to you.
Sarcasm noted. However, sometimes you need to provide a counterpoint to all the silly stupid shit people say against religion. There might actually be a few people who are stupid or inexperienced enough to believe it.

You take someone who says homosexuality is a choice, instead of a genetic proclivity, who then is totally prejudiced towards religious preference, which "is a choice", not a genetic proclivity. Or not. Basically, being an asshole is a choice... or is it a genetic proclivity?

If you say one thing is genetic, then you really have to accept that other things are genetic as well. The double standard of assholes who are too stupid to get this fact is.. well, probably not their fault- they are not intelligent enough to perceive their double standard because they lack the genetic proclivity for intelligent, rational thought.

This is generally reflected in the statements they make against religion, but then again, we've got  Poe's law..... so people could just be pretending to be totally ignorant of the double standard they hatefully apply to religions... or they could be joking about it. ;)

No, man (assuming you are a he) I wasn't being sarcastic. The more anti-religion info on the web the better. It's also good therapy.

55 reasons to doubt Christianity

5 new reasons have been posted as the argument gains strength.
www.kyroot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
5 new reasons have been posted as the argument gains strength.

www.kyroot.com
Pfffft.

(55) Evolution

The evolution of life on our planet is a story of many starts and stops, many catastrophes that resulted in mass extinctions, and the incredible suffering of animals up and down the food chain. This simply does not jibe with the Christian story of a god whose principal interest was to create beings in his own image and test them for future rewards and punishments.

Our discovery of evolution is perhaps the single most important piece of evidence that Christianity is false. It is not possible to combine evolution and Christianity into a unified coherent theory. They do not mix. Christians who assert that they believe God used evolution to create mankind are not thinking on anything other than a superficial level.
You're really letting your bias show, here. Why don't you just say 'I think Christainity is wrong' and be done with it?

Seriously, your second or third problem with 'Christainity' is that it cuts everything down into a dichotomy, while human experience is complex and varied. Then, here, you've boiled all of Christainity, all the thousands of sects and philosophies and outlooks, the various ideologies that contend to call themselves 'true' Christainity, all of it down into Literalist Creationism. Any Christain, according to you, who's not taking Genesis literally is an idiot. You don't see a teensy bit of a problem, there?

I mean, I really hate arguments the theists make here which are based on a strawman definition of what atheism means, or act as if all atheists have exactly one outlook. Can't really say you're doing well to do the same thing.

No, man (assuming you are a he) I wasn't being sarcastic. The more anti-religion info on the web the better. It's also good therapy.
Yeah, I'm a dude. Fuck therapists though... ya know, the rapists deserve a rapier wit to run 'em through.

I tend to cherry pick from the tree- at least for the various purposes that I can gain from them. Cherry wood- well, it smells good when you burn it. People smoke meat with it. Cherries you eat. So..

Religion has its uses. A moron (atheist or theist) who tries to eat the wood and burn the cherries really has no idea what the various parts of religion are useful for. They need a good fucking leader to teach them that their head does not go up their asshole.

Two posts, two threads.
I wonder if kyroot isn't really interested in any feedback...?
It looks like he is just trying to build traffic to his web site. I'd be willing to bet that he has made the same posts on dozens of other forums. If he can get enough traffic then he can sell advertising space.

Yeah, I know. I tend to be a little cynical sometimes but then it is only when I see something that just doesn't look right like posting links to your own web site but no discussion.

Two posts, two threads.
I wonder if kyroot isn't really interested in any feedback...?
It looks like he is just trying to build traffic to his web site. I'd be willing to bet that he has made the same posts on dozens of other forums. If he can get enough traffic then he can sell advertising space.

Yeah, I know. I tend to be a little cynical sometimes but then it is only when I see something that just doesn't look right like posting links to your own web site but no discussion.
Not necessarily. When i searched for his login ID i found '52 reasons t o doubt Christainity...' And a lot of references to Kentucky Roots....

Yeah, I'm a dude. Fuck therapists though... ya know, the rapists deserve a rapier wit to run 'em through.

I tend to cherry pick from the tree- at least for the various purposes that I can gain from them. Cherry wood- well, it smells good when you burn it. People smoke meat with it. Cherries you eat. So..

Religion has its uses. A moron (atheist or theist) who tries to eat the wood and burn the cherries really has no idea what the various parts of religion are useful for. They need a good fucking leader to teach them that their head does not go up their asshole.

Now I think you are nuts.

Now I think you are nuts.
That's not an intelligent thing to think. It's also not intelligent to think that anti-religious stuff is good to promote. It's also not intelligent to promote anti-gay stuff, neo-nazi stuff, anti-family stuff, anti-work stuff, anti-health stuff, and the list goes on.

Although at some point, a comedian will make fun of it...

Back
Top Bottom