• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A Christian American does dumb shit

What exactly do we call religious extremest? Is it not an extreme position to believe (in the 21 century) in supreme beings, flying horses, animal arks, resurrections? If suspending logic and accepting faith is not an extreme position in thinking then it is little wonder people end up in Waco or Jonestown. It is the mindset of the religious that is extreme because it allows for any and all actions to seem reasonable according to faith and not the end results.

Most religious folk would label that as extremist. It isn't of course, it's merely accurate.

As far as I can tell it must be fun to have gods.

Religious nuts.

They are everywhere.

The US is a very fundamentalist nation. Filled with insane religious fundamentalists. People that know exactly what the gods in the heavens are thinking and want.

People that oppose things like the theory of evolution.

In time of war when all sanity is thrown out it is these types that can take over.

Sure they "can", in an extreme situation (which is highly unlikely). But no, they will not "take over". They do not have the power to "take over". Sure, absolutely, they will stir shit up. But the US is armed to the teeth, in ways the general populous doesn't even know about, and there are checks and balances that go beyond redundancy after redundancy, check after check after check, and then THAT gets checked.

How will "religious nuts" suddenly change the way things work? They can't. They won't.

No "types" will take over. That is hysteria.

Vice President Pence

What exactly do we call religious extremest? Is it not an extreme position to believe (in the 21 century) in supreme beings, flying horses, animal arks, resurrections? If suspending logic and accepting faith is not an extreme position in thinking then it is little wonder people end up in Waco or Jonestown. It is the mindset of the religious that is extreme because it allows for any and all actions to seem reasonable according to faith and not the end results.

^^^ Good questions

Religious nuts.

They are everywhere.

The US is a very fundamentalist nation. Filled with insane religious fundamentalists. People that know exactly what the gods in the heavens are thinking and want.

People that oppose things like the theory of evolution.

In time of war when all sanity is thrown out it is these types that can take over.

Sure they "can", in an extreme situation (which is highly unlikely). But no, they will not "take over". They do not have the power to "take over". Sure, absolutely, they will stir shit up. But the US is armed to the teeth, in ways the general populous doesn't even know about, and there are checks and balances that go beyond redundancy after redundancy, check after check after check, and then THAT gets checked.

How will "religious nuts" suddenly change the way things work? They can't. They won't.

No "types" will take over. That is hysteria.

The religious extremists have already taken over. They got a Nazi sympathizer elected because he promised to be really racist and to hate all the same people the religious extremists hate.

And it's not just religious conservatives. Conservatives in general have been stirring up such hateful rhetoric that Americans are murdering Sikh people because they can't tell the difference between Sikh and Muslim. If you're willing to murder people for being part of a demographic, you're a terrorist. If you fan the flames of hate that other people murder based on what demographic they are in, you're a terrorist, or at least an ideologue who makes terrorism possible. If you murder people from demographic A because you hate people from demographic B, then you're a really stupid terrorist.

We have long since reached the point where our own population is being radicalized into a bunch of crazed violent nuts, but you appear to be blinded by in-group bias. You don't want to recognize people as radical terrorists if they look like you and spout the same rhetoric as you.

Vice President Pence.

:eek:

Just one heartbeat or impeachment away from the Oval Office! :eek: :eek:

He will probably get prosecuted before the president. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the president has to be impeached before he can be tried in criminal court, but the vice president has no such protection from criminal charges.

PS [ent]mdash[/ent] I apologise for using the word Nazi in the previous post. I should have used the politically correct term "alt right free speech advocate." My deepest sympathies to any conservatives or libertarians whose feelings were hurt by my thoughtless use of a politically incorrect term.

This is what happens when you say that some religion itself and not circumstance leads to violence...

Religion can give the OK but it is not the cause.

The causes of unrest in the ME are political, not religious.

^^^ That

"Islam" isn't one unified religion just as "Christianity" isn't. There are many different groups within each with many different ideologies. That doesn't make the worst of them not bad and not caused in any way by the religion they practice. Some people really ARE motivated by religion to hurt other people, and that includes some Muslims.

There also exist trends and tendencies of religions as a whole. Not all, not most, not even a large percentage of Muslims want to kill you for not being Muslim, but there is a larger percentage that do than there are Menonites who want to kill you for not being Menonite or Jains that want to kill you for not being Jain. Same for attitudes against homosexuality, nudism, etc. If all I know is that somebody is Muslim, that DOES make me a little more on guard, just like if all I know is that they are fundamentalist Christian, or a Republican senator. It isn't conclusive, but it is a clue to who they may be, and a fairly reliable one. While there exist Muslim strippers who dance and eat pork and drink wine, on average Muslims are more conservative and repressive.

Back
Top Bottom