• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A helping hand...

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
From News of the Weird:

The first-ever skydive by Makenzie Wethington, 16, in Chickasha, Okla., in January was a catastrophe -- a tangled parachute that opened "halfway" with the girl unable to reach the emergency chute. She fell into a spiraling free fall from 3,500 feet and landed with a thud, but somehow survived. Mackenzie had shattered vertebrae, a split-in-half pelvic bone, two broken ribs, tooth loss and various internal injuries. Said her sister Meagan, to incredulous doctors and nurses, "She, obviously, she hit the ground, but she did not hit the ground. God's hand caught her." [Associated Press via Dallas Morning News, 1-28-2014]

Obviously, they're ecstatic that the girl lived. I'm happy for that, too. But seriously? God's a butterfingers?
This sounds like a Self-Mutation 'proof of god.'

I've often said to my kids when they make a mistake that it's a lot easier for a smart person to do something stupid than for a stupid person to do something smart.

But in this case religion makes otherwise smart people say really stupid stuff.

So wait, she thinks God tangled up her sister's parachute, causing shattered vertebrae, a split-in-half pelvic bone, two broken ribs, tooth loss and various internal injuries, as a publicity stunt, to show His public what a good guy He was for not killing her outright?

It seems God needs a new publicist. And emergency secure psychiatric detention.

A superhero's uncle once said, "With great power comes great responsibility." To which we must add, "... unless you happen to be all powerful, in which case you get all the credit for anything good and none of the blame for anything bad. Because the one great truth of humanity is that we're all a bunch of myopic brown-nosing ass kissers."

So wait, she thinks God tangled up her sister's parachute, causing shattered vertebrae, a split-in-half pelvic bone, two broken ribs, tooth loss and various internal injuries, as a publicity stunt, to show His public what a good guy He was for not killing her outright?

It seems God needs a new publicist. And emergency secure psychiatric detention.

The only reason you don't find this argument compelling is because you want to sin more! [/christian]

Back
Top Bottom