• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A picture of the influence of disinformation

and he got momentum.
Who told you that his "momentum was building"? Who framed his SC win in those very terms for you? That isn't your thought, you didn't come up with it independently, or from talking to voters. You heard it on TV, and it became true.

I don't want to believe that could happen, but history says it's possible so my primary goal and concern is that the worst president ever will get elected this November.
That much is all but certain. We lost this election the second the Democrats bought South Carolina for Biden in the last one, and tanked their only candidate with populist appeal. Whatever one may think of Biden, we need to be planning for what comes next. Trump is returning, and I'm not certain he'll be so easy to get rid of the second time around.
The democrats "bought South Carolina for Biden"? Ohh, that is bordering on maga paranoia.
I didn't mean illegally or secretly or something, what they did was above board and public, so I don't see how it is "maga paranoia" to observe it. There is only one way to win a US Presidential election, no matter who you are.

$$$

I get a text from the Biden election campaign like two or three times a day solemnly assuring me that he'll lose if I don't send him my life savings tonight, so I don't know why you think I'm alleging some sort of conspiracy. I mean, the same party literally handed South Carolina $100,000 dollars earlier this week to boost voter registration efforts. This is just how the electoral game is played. SC is also one of the most expensive ballots in the country to get onto in the first place, requiring a $20,000 bribe registration fee to get listed at all. They make a pretty penny on the whole system!
I get texts or emails from multiple Democrats, including those who are running for election in states that I've never lived in. That's what just about all politicians do and have for most of my adult life. Of course, prior to cell phones and the internet, it was a lot harder to raise money. I rarely open many of my emails, as most of them are either begging me for money, regardless if they are my favorite charities or political campaigns, or scams. A lot of them are scams. Come to think of it, despite never voting for a Republican, once in awhile I get emails from them too. I guess they are hoping, I'm going MAGA. I always unsubscribe to those, if I bother to open them. Nothing new.

And, I don't think Biden is as bad as you seem to think, but since we are already way off topic, I'll leave it at that.

I don't want to believe that could happen, but history says it's possible so my primary goal and concern is that the worst president ever will get elected this November.
That much is all but certain. We lost this election the second the Democrats bought South Carolina for Biden in the last one, and tanked their only candidate with populist appeal. Whatever one may think of Biden, we need to be planning for what comes next. Trump is returning, and I'm not certain he'll be so easy to get rid of the second time around.
The democrats "bought South Carolina for Biden"? Ohh, that is bordering on maga paranoia.
I didn't mean illegally or secretly or something, what they did was above board and public, so I don't see how it is "maga paranoia" to observe it. There is only one way to win a US Presidential election, no matter who you are.

$$$

I get a text from the Biden election campaign like two or three times a day solemnly assuring me that he'll lose if I don't send him my life savings tonight, so I don't know why you think I'm alleging some sort of conspiracy. I mean, the same party literally handed South Carolina $100,000 dollars earlier this week to boost voter registration efforts. This is just how the electoral game is played. SC is also one of the most expensive ballots in the country to get onto in the first place, requiring a $20,000 bribe registration fee to get listed at all. They make a pretty penny on the whole system!
Money wins most of the time. Of course, the more a candidate is liked, the more money flows in their campaign most of the time. However, not all the time. At the time of the south carolina primary, Sanders was ahead of Biden and was spending far more than Biden:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/01/810813892/4-takeaways-from-joe-bidens-big-win-in-south-carolina.

Biden beat Sanders because he appealed more to the southern voters; and he got momentum.
It's not just Southerners who Biden appealed to. Most Americans aren't as far to the left as Sanders, but I'm glad to see that Sanders has been supporting Biden and even campaigning for him, despite Biden's unwillingness at this time to totally cut off Israel. At least Sanders knows this time around, that Trump is the threat, not Biden. It's not that I don't support many of the things supported by the Left, like Medicare for all, I just don't think the country has enough support for such things. I hate that we are the so called world's policemen and that we spend so much on our military. But the world depends on us. How do we change that? Biden has accomplished a lot of things that the left supports. In fact, a lot of Democrats feel that he's too far left. Ok. I'm going go off topic again. Sorry. Let me see if I can find some more disinformation so we can get back to the topic. :p

There are plenty of articles about disinformation but I'll share a crazy one that I learned about by watching Jimmy Kimmel. First of all, a friendly acquaintance of mine has been having a friendly feud with me, regarding the coming election. She is a Trump supporter and we promised each other we wouldn't be mean or hateful if we disguised politics. I asked her where she got her news from and she said "Newsmax". OMG. Then she told me that NYTImes was fake news after I told her that was one of my news sources. Gee. I wonder where she heard that from? /s

Anyway, recently Jimmy Kimmel made some fun of Newsmax. I had watched the annual Whitehouse Corresponded Dinner and naturally, my favorite source of journalism, the NYTImes won many of the awards, as it actually does in-depth investigations on many things and even writes retractions when errors happen. Plus it permits editorialists from both sides to write opinion pieces. Biden gave a speech at the correspondence dinner as most presidents always have done. He was funny, cognitively intact, and he even made fun of himself, unlike his opponent. He did a good job, imo. Anyone remember the time Obama made a joke about Trump and Trump refused to attend the dinner after that and has held a grudge ever since?

Moving on.....NewsMax showed Biden eating a spinach salad during the dinner and like many if not most of us, he had some trouble getting the spinach onto his fork. There weren't many pieces of spinach left on the plate when the photo shot was taken. The NewMax reporter made a big thing about Biden not being able to eat the salad, stating that he was obviously senile etc. Of course, he never showed any of Biden's speech or his ability to joke about himself. Kimmel showed the thing and said, "well at least he eats greens." I had no idea that the right wing nut job sources would go to such lengths and take something so trivial out of context to try and make a claim that Biden is senile. Late night host Kimmel was just making a joke about it, but I have a feeling he was also exposing the idiocy of NewsMax. This is the type of thing the far right does when they spread disinformation.

Of course, we all know about the lies regarding dead people and non citizens voting, despite no evidence that this happened. That is one of the worst sources of disinformation as it's causes those who get their news from the MAGA crowd to no longer trust our elections unless of course, their candidate wins.

Biden will almost certainly win the next election, and by a bigger margin than the 2020 one in popular votes, and also in Electoral College points.
In the extremely unlikely case that Trump wins (and that is also dependent on if he is already in prison prior to the election) then one would hope that certain curative actions are taken.
I agree with the above.

Biden will almost certainly win the next election, and by a bigger margin than the 2020 one in popular votes, and also in Electoral College points.
In the extremely unlikely case that Trump wins (and that is also dependent on if he is already in prison prior to the election) then one would hope that certain curative actions are taken.
I agree with the above.
I hope you are right. it all depends on voter turnout and if certain groups understand that a less than perfect president is much better than a psychopathic autocrat.

I hate that we are the so called world's policemen and that we spend so much on our military. But the world depends on us.
Most of the world wishes we would buzz off, actually. What American ally in the last fifty years has come off the better for our military interventionism?

Biden has accomplished a lot of things that the left supports.
My political views are a bit more nuanced than "support the left*, right or wrong", and I wish more people felt the same.

*whatever "the left" even means these days? Not actual leftism obviously, but what the hell is it anyway?

I hate that we are the so called world's policemen and that we spend so much on our military. But the world depends on us.
Most of the world wishes we would buzz off, actually.
Really? Do you mean on a diplomatic/political level or the people of the rest of the world themselves? Because for all the places I've been around the world, I haven't been met with hardly any animosity. In fact, I've been nothing but impressed by how friendly people outside the United States are toward us. They just wanted to meet someone different, just like I did.

What American ally in the last fifty years has come off the better for our military interventionism?
Can it be measured in military adventurism by bad actors around the world that did not happen because the world's cop was standing watch? Absent the US being the world's cop, would other countries feel the need to have a stronger military of their own? Might this in and of itself cause instability? I think Europe's concern over Russia's adventure into Ukraine provides us some evidence. I think Macron's comments about not ruling out boots on the ground in Ukraine provides even more. What might Korea be like without the US? Taiwan? The effects of China's nine-dash line? Putin's Russia Soviet Union II?
It's all conjecture of course but I think it would be very naive to perceive of a world without the US military as just a world without the US military.

Really? Do you mean on a diplomatic/political level or the people of the rest of the world themselves? Because for all the places I've been around the world, I haven't been met with hardly any animosity. In fact, I've been nothing but impressed by how friendly people outside the United States are toward us. They just wanted to meet someone different, just like I did.
Do you mean that you arrived as an armed soldier invading their country and they were happy to see you? Or do you mean that they were happy to see an American who wasn't there to kill anyone?

Back
Top Bottom