• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A threat to gay rights

Ahab

Basic Beliefs
Non-supernaturalist
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ALLIANCELGB/status/1416292515041484802[/TWEET]

Full article can be found
HERE

Why should lesbians who are sexually attracted to other women and wish to celebrate that attraction be forced to allow trans women to their social events?

Just did a couple of searches trying to decide what’s at stake.

I was surprised by how many trans women identify as lesbian, for one thing. (15%-23%)

In the United States, transgender respondents to one 2015 survey self-identified as queer (21%), pansexual (18%), gay, lesbian, or same-gender-loving (16%), straight (15%), bisexual (14%), and asexual (10%).[3] A second study found 23% reported being gay, lesbian, or same-gender-loving, 25% bisexual, 4% asexual, 23% queer, 23% straight and 2% something else.[4]

I also pondered the event-level difference (i.e. this is not in bed, it’s at a social event where presumably most are clothed) between a trans woman with male body parts, a fully transitioned trans woman, and a butch female lesbian.

It’s not the same as the arguments Emily Lake made about trans women with male appearances or body parts in a shelter for abused women, for example.

And I pondered the idea of being able to exclude men (a gender) but not trans women (also a gender) from your party.

So half of me says, “why exclude them” and part of me says “why not exclude them.”

I’ll be reading along to hear other arguments - noting that I don’t have a dog in this race, and it may be unearned privilege to even ponder it, since I would be at neitherr the party, nor the bed.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ALLIANCELGB/status/1416292515041484802[/TWEET]

Full article can be found
HERE

Why should lesbians who are sexually attracted to other women and wish to celebrate that attraction be forced to allow trans women to their social events?

Government should keep out of these petty squabbles and do something constructive like fix the roads or something.

What gay right is being imperiled?

To pretend that a trans woman is a lesbian undermines lesbianism.
How? How do you undermine a sexual preference?
I like women.
There are people who like men, women, animals, cars, smokers, stockings, nurses, stewardesses, pilots, former women, transitioning men, foreign partners, specific positions.
And i remain here, liking women. Nothing has undermined my liking women.
The right to associate with those who share your sexual attraction without legal censure.
Is that an actual gay right? Really?
Do straights enjoy a similar right?

And if they are 'women-who-like-women,' associating with 'transgenders-who-like-women' does not violate this right as you expressed it. They share the same sexual attraction.

And of course, I'm sure you're equally concerned about all the actual threats to lesbian people around the world right now. :rolleyes:

Spare me the clutched pearls.

Why is it the only "rights" social conservatives ever seem to care about are those that constitute allowing them discriminate against some other group?

And of course, I'm sure you're equally concerned about all the actual threats to lesbian people around the world right now. :rolleyes:

Spare me the clutched pearls.

Why is it the only "rights" social conservatives ever seem to care about are those that constitute allowing them discriminate against some other group?

Or allow other groups to discriminate against groups the conservatives want discriminated.

What gay right is being imperiled?

To pretend that a trans woman is a lesbian undermines lesbianism.
That is nonsensical.
The right to associate with those who share your sexual attraction without legal censure.
That right is not under threat in this instance, since it is not baring such associations.

From what I can tell, there are clashing preferences here - the preference for transwomen to be treated as women, and the preference for lesbians to include only "true" lesbians in these events.

Back
Top Bottom