• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A transporter accident beams Kirk to a distant planet...

As to the shared coordinate system comments, remember this is Trek, where every spaceship in the galaxy, including those of civilizations that never had contact before, are aligned so that 'up' is pointed in the same direction whenever they meet.
YES! THANK YOU!

SPOCK: He's intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking...
KIRK: Mr. Saavik, all stop.
SAAVIK: All stop, sir.
KIRK: Descend ten thousand meters. Stand by photon torpedoes.​

Was I the only one who noticed this proved Kirk had been thinking two dimensionally too?

Well, Kirk thinks in three dimensions, but the writers all in two.

Sometimes, they think in two really THICK dimensions....

Can you flesh out in sequence how you got to 1 + 1/(2*Pi) ?

You go south, walk in a circle and come back north.

I realize I'm wrong, though--it's not a whole annulus, it's a set of discrete rings in that range. The 1+1/(2*Pi) is when you walk around the pole once. There's also one at 1+1/(4*Pi) where you walk around twice, one at 1+1/(6*Pi) where you walk around three times etc.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you derive that? I get a single line of latitude, not an annulus.

The only line of latitude I can place him at in the southern hemisphere is a line 1+1/(2*Pi) miles from the South Pole. From that starting point, he would travel south to 1/(2*Pi) miles from the South Pole, walk an exact circle around the South Pole, and return along his original longitude.

If you start him any closer to the South Pole he overshoots his starting longitude.

And I also don't see how the North Pole answer is wrong. If Kirk starts at the North Pole and walks 1 mile south, no matter how far he travels west, walking 1 mile north has to return him to the North Pole.

Yeah, I have since realized the north pole answer is also right.

As for the annulus, I have fixed that--it's not an annulus but it's also not just one ring.

he's got limited life on his exposure suit, so Spock is hurrying the Enterprise to his new location.
Kirk reports that he has explored, trying to fix his location. He walked a mile south, a mile west and a mile north, and to his surprise had returned to his starting point.

Starting point on the planet, or starting point on the planetary solar system according to Galactic Quadrant coordinates:p? Given a certain orbit time, I imagine he could be anywhere in exess of 1 mile N of the south pole, and return to the planetary system's starting orbital point albeit at a differnt place on the actual planet surface.

Or not? I think we need a lawyer.

Or, one a planet with a westward walk which travels the exact radius of his southermost latitude point ( one tripround the planet), he could set off again from the same position, no, and return to the same place?

As for the annulus, I have fixed that--it's not an annulus but it's also not just one ring.
I just realised that too after you pointed out that he could make more than one circuit.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't expect the Vulcan Inquisition....
No one does.

The Vulcan Inquisition WILL be able to logically determine at what point they will show up.
But one of the assumptions in their planning factor will be that they must show up at the time when they are least expected.

One could, then, always expect the Vulcan Inquisition's arrival to be imminent. This greater expectation would lessen the advent of the VI. If enough people expect the VI, then logically, the VI cannot appear.
Unfortunately, that's when the Klingon Inquisition shows up, bearing tire chains and baseball bats, to show you 'what the Inquisition thinks of Clever Dicks.'

Does Spock have a goatee or is he clean-shaven?

Does Spock have a goatee or is he clean-shaven?
Oh, a mirror universe VI is far too easy.

I think a local VI would be much more fun.
"It has been determined that your position on the macroevolutionary development of the giraffe's height is a fringe position, due largely to your openness to non-robust methodology in perusing potential source material."
"Indeed. I do not fear the judgment of my peers."
"Then you give us no alternative. We shall raise one of our eyebrows and regard you with silent disaproval."
"I have never managed to achieve that particular look. It is most effective. I recant my position."
"Very well. I believe we are done here."

You go south, walk in a circle and come back north.

I realize I'm wrong, though--it's not a whole annulus, it's a set of discrete rings in that range. The 1+1/(2*Pi) is when you walk around the pole once. There's also one at 1+1/(4*Pi) where you walk around twice, one at 1+1/(6*Pi) where you walk around three times etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh?

'... There's also one at 1+1/(4*Pi) where you walk around twice, one at 1+1/(6*Pi) where you walk around three times etc....' is not the stated problem.

'....
he's got limited life on his exposure suit, so Spock is hurrying the Enterprise to his new location.
Kirk reports that he has explored, trying to fix his location. He walked a mile south, a mile west and a mile north, and to his surprise had returned to his starting point.

How many places on the planet's surface could Kirk possibly be? ...'

Other than the North Pole If you go south on any line of longitude one mile and go west on a line of latitude one mile you will be on a line of longitude that does not intersect your starting point.

Other than the North Pole If you go south on any line of longitude one mile and go west on a line of latitude one mile you will be on a line of longitude that does not intersect your starting point.
What if you are one point one five nine miles away from the South Pole?

You can walk south. Towards, but not reaching, the South Pole. At that spot, you stop to take a pee.

From that spot, .159 m from the pole, you turn 90 degress and walk West.

You stay .159 m north of the South Pole for the entire time you walk West.

After your tricorder reports that you have walked one mile, you are back at the spot where you peed. You make another 90 degree turn to the North, and walk for one mile. You have returned to your starting position, 1.159m north of the South Pole, having traversed 3 miles to get nowhere.

Hopefully, Spock is not scanning the North Pole in a vain attempt to rescue you.

Huh?

'... There's also one at 1+1/(4*Pi) where you walk around twice, one at 1+1/(6*Pi) where you walk around three times etc....' is not the stated problem.

'....

How many places on the planet's surface could Kirk possibly be? ...'

No--if that one mile west is exactly 360 degrees of travel (or a multiple thereof) you end up at the same point. Thus there are an infinite number of rings around the south pole that meet the requirement.

I bow to your overwhelming superiorityin reasoning skills. I guess this means I wont get into the VulcanScience Academy.

I never do well on contrived puzzles.Same with chess, I never feel motivated to engage unless it is areal problem.

I bow to your overwhelming superiorityin reasoning skills. I guess this means I wont get into the VulcanScience Academy.

I never do well on contrived puzzles.Same with chess, I never feel motivated to engage unless it is areal problem.

And yet you were, oddly, motivated to declare, quite forcefully, that "Other than the North Pole If you go south on any line of longitude one mile and go west on a line of latitude one mile you will be on a line of longitude that does not intersect your starting point."; and that motivation only got retconned out of existence after someone demonstrated in baby steps that you were completely wrong...

And yet you were, oddly, motivated to declare, quite forcefully, that "Other than the North Pole If you go south on any line of longitude one mile and go west on a line of latitude one mile you will be on a line of longitude that does not intersect your starting point."; and that motivation only got retconned out of existence after someone demonstrated in baby steps that you were completely wrong...

So what? Shoot me. I have 7 hardwaredesigns in process, the forum for me is a diversion duringthe day. My life does on hang on a logic puzzle with atwist.

Your personal commentary is why I hadyou on ignore on the other site.

However, one thing I know forsure is nobody is right all the times on everything, and no matterhow much you think you know there is always someone who knowssomething you do not. I have never made any claims to beinginfallible, and I know that from painful experience in situationsthat actually counts and had consequences.

A currentpuzzle for me, audiophiles claim amplifier intermod distortion isamplified by global negative feedback not attenuated. There is noclear answer in the texts. How would you solve that puzzle?

What any experienced problem solverlearns is humility and understanding....

Given it is a puzzle posed on a logicforum I assumed there would be a non obvious solution. My firstthought wasone solution was probably one of the two unique points,the poles, and I found a quick solution at the North Pole. Afterthat I really did not think much more.

So what? Shoot me. I have 7 hardwaredesigns in process, the forum for me is a diversion duringthe day. My life does on hang on a logic puzzle with atwist.

Your personal commentary is why I hadyou on ignore on the other site.

However, one thing I know forsure is nobody is right all the times on everything, and no matterhow much you think you know there is always someone who knowssomething you do not. I have never made any claims to beinginfallible, and I know that from painful experience in situationsthat actually counts and had consequences.

A currentpuzzle for me, audiophiles claim amplifier intermod distortion isamplified by global negative feedback not attenuated. There is noclear answer in the texts. How would you solve that puzzle?

What any experienced problem solverlearns is humility and understanding....

Given it is a puzzle posed on a logicforum I assumed there would be a non obvious solution. My firstthought wasone solution was probably one of the two unique points,the poles, and I found a quick solution at the North Pole. Afterthat I really did not think much more.

A simple "Sorry, I was wrong" would suffice. Instead, you feel the need to justify your error. It is irrelevant what else you were thinking about; it is irrelevant whether your error is commonplace; no-one is asking you to be infallible. Getting the wrong answer is no big deal.

Confidently telling others that they are wrong, and then not having the testicular fortitude to apologise when shown that you were the one in error is, for me, a big deal.

It isn't about being right or wrong; it is about the way you treat others.

While you all argue over where on the planet he could be based on his personal testimony...

...acting-captain Dystopian ordered some random crewman to use the ship's scanner to search for human lifesigns (since in Star Trek they can even pick out a single human anywhere on a planet when there's billions of 'almost-humans' walking around), and transports him out.

LOGIC!

Back
Top Bottom