• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A true story.

Who'd have thought a christain would reserve his charity for those within the fellowship?

Do you think he would have snatched the twenty back if my friend had said, "No," or, "I'm agnostic."?

He would have given my friend the money, no matter what, and said the same thing.

It is a little strange to see selfish motives ascribed to goodhearted deeds, based on nothing more than saying, "God loves you."

If he would have given the money regardless of the answer, then why ask the question prior to giving the money? I don't buy it.

If he would have given the money regardless of the answer, then why ask the question prior to giving the money? I don't buy it.

I think he would have given the money regardless of the answer. However, the answer of "no" just would have likely resulted in proselytizing.

Asking the question before giving the money certainly unmasks an action that is motivated by more than simple charity. The guy was likely looking to evangelize. In simple charity you hand someone the 20 and walk away. I have on rare occasion when someone hits the right nerve.

One time I helped someone out near Xmas (on Xmas actually, now that I think about it). I observed a need, decided it was legit, and helped out without asking. Didn't ask them if they were Atheists or whether they liked Liverpool FC. I just did it, and didn't make any deal out of it.

Regardless, sounds like a person is $20 poorer because they trusted someone they didn't know who was in need. So really, in the end, it is a nice gesture.
This morning, I got a phone call from a friend, who asked me to go to lunch with him. He lives on disability and has various medical problems. The real reason he wanted to have lunch became apparent when he came to pick me up. We were walking to his car when we exchanged pleasantries with a man who waiting for someone. It was the usual, "How are you? Fine, thank you," kind of thing. My friend says, "I need to borrow $40 for my doctor visit this afternoon." He went on to explain about miscalculating his budget and was going to fall short before his next payment came in. I don't mind. I know he's good for it.

We were in his truck and about to drive off when the man we had passed waved and walked up to the driver's window.
"Do you believe in God?" he asked.
"Yes, I do," my friend replied. The man held out up folded $20 bill. I thought it was one of those cheesy religious tracts that just look like a $20, but it was real US currency.
"God loves you," the man said and walked away.
"I said I needed $40! I believe in a god that won't just meet me half way."

One time I helped someone out near Xmas (on Xmas actually, now that I think about it). I observed a need, decided it was legit, and helped out without asking. Didn't ask them if they were Atheists or whether they liked Liverpool FC. I just did it, and didn't make any deal out of it.

Regardless, sounds like a person is $20 poorer because they trusted someone they didn't know who was in need. So really, in the end, it is a nice gesture.
This morning, I got a phone call from a friend, who asked me to go to lunch with him. He lives on disability and has various medical problems. The real reason he wanted to have lunch became apparent when he came to pick me up. We were walking to his car when we exchanged pleasantries with a man who waiting for someone. It was the usual, "How are you? Fine, thank you," kind of thing. My friend says, "I need to borrow $40 for my doctor visit this afternoon." He went on to explain about miscalculating his budget and was going to fall short before his next payment came in. I don't mind. I know he's good for it.

We were in his truck and about to drive off when the man we had passed waved and walked up to the driver's window.
"Do you believe in God?" he asked.
"Yes, I do," my friend replied. The man held out up folded $20 bill. I thought it was one of those cheesy religious tracts that just look like a $20, but it was real US currency.
"God loves you," the man said and walked away.
"I said I needed $40! I believe in a god that won't just meet me half way."

That one's covered:
And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God,[a] but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”

Back
Top Bottom