• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A true story.

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
This morning, I got a phone call from a friend, who asked me to go to lunch with him. He lives on disability and has various medical problems. The real reason he wanted to have lunch became apparent when he came to pick me up. We were walking to his car when we exchanged pleasantries with a man who waiting for someone. It was the usual, "How are you? Fine, thank you," kind of thing. My friend says, "I need to borrow $40 for my doctor visit this afternoon." He went on to explain about miscalculating his budget and was going to fall short before his next payment came in. I don't mind. I know he's good for it.

We were in his truck and about to drive off when the man we had passed waved and walked up to the driver's window.
"Do you believe in God?" he asked.
"Yes, I do," my friend replied. The man held out up folded $20 bill. I thought it was one of those cheesy religious tracts that just look like a $20, but it was real US currency.
"God loves you," the man said and walked away.

What a nice man. When the atheist homosexual muslim conspiracy seizes control next month and kills off all the Christians, his life will be spared and he may continue to live as our slave.

One of my best friends was a guard at a NYC tourist attraction. One day, an attractive young woman went around to all the guards asking if she could pray for them. My friend said yes. She asked him did he want to fuck her. He did and they did.

I guess my only point is that God belief stories cut all kinds of ways.

When I was a teenager in Michigan, I used to hitchhike. One day I was picked by four very burly men who, I began to notice, were decidedly rednecked looking, bib overalls and such. And they said not one word. But when we got to my corner, they said goodbye in the friendliest way and gave me one of those ridiculous little I've Been Saved comics where the Tempter to the Life of Pleasure turns out to be Death and the Devil all rolled into one. At least they didn't ask me if I wanted them to pray for me, nor did they want sex. OTOH, I only got a ride, no $20.

One of my best friends was a guard at a NYC tourist attraction. One day, an attractive young woman went around to all the guards asking if she could pray for them. My friend said yes. She asked him did he want to fuck her. He did and they did.

I guess my only point is that God belief stories cut all kinds of ways.

When I was a teenager in Michigan, I used to hitchhike. One day I was picked by four very burly men who, I began to notice, were decidedly rednecked looking, bib overalls and such. And they said not one word. But when we got to my corner, they said goodbye in the friendliest way and gave me one of those ridiculous little I've Been Saved comics where the Tempter to the Life of Pleasure turns out to be Death and the Devil all rolled into one. At least they didn't ask me if I wanted them to pray for me, nor did they want sex. OTOH, I only got a ride, no $20.

Who would have thought the Tempter to the Life of Pleasure would be an attractive young woman cruising the Statue of Liberty.

"Do you believe in God?" he asked.
"Yes, I do," my friend replied. The man held out up folded $20 bill.
Who'd have thought a christain would reserve his charity for those within the fellowship?

Do you think he would have snatched the twenty back if my friend had said, "No," or, "I'm agnostic."?

He would have given my friend the money, no matter what, and said the same thing.

It is a little strange to see selfish motives ascribed to goodhearted deeds, based on nothing more than saying, "God loves you."

based on nothing more than saying, "God loves you."
No, it's based on asking the question, first.

I've offered charity before and never once tried to ascertain if the human being agreed with me on theology, politics, race relations, or even if the guy was a Marine. I don't know if THAT GUY would have withheld the money for a wrong answer, but i do know Christains who have told me that charity on certain groups is wasted because God never gets the proper credit. It's the fun part of family reunions....

based on nothing more than saying, "God loves you."
No, it's based on asking the question, first.

I've offered charity before and never once tried to ascertain if the human being agreed with me on theology, politics, race relations, or even if the guy was a Marine. I don't know if THAT GUY would have withheld the money for a wrong answer, but i do know Christains who have told me that charity on certain groups is wasted because God never gets the proper credit. It's the fun part of family reunions....
He might have been an atheist hoping to cast a root-of-all-evil curse only on Christians.

Who'd have thought a christain would reserve his charity for those within the fellowship?

Do you think he would have snatched the twenty back if my friend had said, "No," or, "I'm agnostic."?

He would have given my friend the money, no matter what, and said the same thing.

It is a little strange to see selfish motives ascribed to goodhearted deeds, based on nothing more than saying, "God loves you."

Ummm, I'm dubious that he would.

I read about an atheist who managed to hitchhike his way across the Deep South by telling people he was a Born Again Christian. He got free rides, free meals and he rather doubted he'd've gotten the same treatment from God Fearing, Jesus Loving Christians had he been truthful.

Fuck that - I would do a good need for no other reason than to help someone - God has nothing to do with it.... It's just how I was raised.

I smell apostasy. Why's this chump going to a doctor? The NT clearly tells us that the faithful are able to cure all manner of illness through the laying on of hands. See MK 16:18 and Acts 28:8. Why is he moaning about needing money to pay off a debt? We are to take no thought of tomorrow, for tomorrow takes care of itself. See MT 6:34, and furthermore, didn't you watch Bush II's presidency? That was a man of faith. No, someone in this story is going to hell. Hell, hell, hell, hell. It's real. The man with the $20 should have offered him a prayer and a discourse on salvation, but, otherwise, the poor are always with us. Don't try to make God's wisdom difficult, folks. It's perfectly simple and simply perfect.

I read about an atheist who managed to hitchhike his way across the Deep South by telling people he was a Born Again Christian. He got free rides, free meals and he rather doubted he'd've gotten the same treatment from God Fearing, Jesus Loving Christians had he been truthful.

If you read about it, it must have happened. If a person thinks subterfuge will help them in social interactions, I suppose lying is justified on some level or another.

It's human nature to be wary of strangers and it's also human nature to be sociable. This drives us to find commonalities when we meet a new person to establish trust. The hitchhiking atheist seems to have taken advantage of this and accepted the hospitality of others under false pretenses. As it was, he feared their judgment and so judged them as intolerant. We'll never know how different his experience might have been if he had been honest.

I know a lot of people (the great majority of people) who would have looked upon a young hitchhiker who claimed to be born again early in the conversation, to be working a con. In my neighborhood all the homeless panhandlers use that spiel. Even this is not enough to disqualify a person. After all, if someone feels they must lie about loving God in order to get what they need, it must be something they need very much.

Fuck that - I would do a good need for no other reason than to help someone - God has nothing to do with it.... It's just how I was raised.

I have related the story as it occurred. If you want to say your good actions have nothing to do with God, that is fine, but it really is more than you know.

If you read about it, it must have happened. If a person thinks subterfuge will help them in social interactions, I suppose lying is justified on some level or another.

It's human nature to be wary of strangers and it's also human nature to be sociable. This drives us to find commonalities when we meet a new person to establish trust. The hitchhiking atheist seems to have taken advantage of this and accepted the hospitality of others under false pretenses. As it was, he feared their judgment and so judged them as intolerant. We'll never know how different his experience might have been if he had been honest.

I know a lot of people (the great majority of people) who would have looked upon a young hitchhiker who claimed to be born again early in the conversation, to be working a con. In my neighborhood all the homeless panhandlers use that spiel. Even this is not enough to disqualify a person. After all, if someone feels they must lie about loving God in order to get what they need, it must be something they need very much.

I have related the story as it occurred. If you want to say your good actions have nothing to do with God, that is fine, but it really is more than you know.

I think he had plenty of other examples and precedents set by the good people of the south to reasonably decide discretion and subterfuge was the better part of valor.

I think he had plenty of other examples and precedents set by the good people of the south to reasonably decide discretion and subterfuge was the better part of valor.

Any excuse is as good as another when one wants to confirm their prejudices.

You see my story about a young black man who gave $20 to a morbidly obese middle age white man, after overhearing he needed money for a doctor's appointment as an example of Christian exclusiveness, even suggesting he would not have done the same for a non-believer.

I see your story about a young man who claimed to hold certain beliefs in order to obtain charity from others as an example of hypocritical subterfuge and fraud, but you see it as a confirmation that Christians do not extend charity to non-Christians, to the point that his dishonesty was a protective coloration which kept him safe.

If I have misperceived the situation, I apologize for all my shortcomings.

You see my story about a young black man who gave $20 to a morbidly obese middle age white man, after overhearing he needed money for a doctor's appointment as an example of Christian exclusiveness, even suggesting he would not have done the same for a non-believer.

I see your story about a young man who claimed to hold certain beliefs in order to obtain charity from others as an example of hypocritical subterfuge and fraud, but you see it as a confirmation that Christians do not extend charity to non-Christians, to the point that his dishonesty was a protective coloration which kept him safe.

I see a story about the woeful state of 'healthcare' in the United States.

In the civilised world, charity of this kind would simply not be needed. Religion or secularity of the recipient or the donor is irrelevant. The tax office doesn't care if taxpayers pay for secular or for religious reasons; and the Department of Health doesn't ask about your religion except to ascertain what foods to exclude from your diet, and what rituals to provide if you are unfortunate enough to die while in their care.

I see a story about the woeful state of 'healthcare' in the United States.

In the civilised world, charity of this kind would simply not be needed. Religion or secularity of the recipient or the donor is irrelevant. The tax office doesn't care if taxpayers pay for secular or for religious reasons; and the Department of Health doesn't ask about your religion except to ascertain what foods to exclude from your diet, and what rituals to provide if you are unfortunate enough to die while in their care.

The person in question has medical insurance. This particular policy requires a $40 co-pay(which goes toward the overall deductible) for an office visit. Our current Republican Governor has made it very difficult for people on Social Security disability to qualify for Medicaid, the US version of government funded healthcare.

My apologies. I meant that doing a good turn means just that! You do something nice. Not just on behalf of God.

My apologies. I meant that doing a good turn means just that! You do something nice. Not just on behalf of God.

There is no offense taken.

A person may present any motive for their actions, which satisfies them, but to say "God had nothing to do with it," is an unprovable statement. It is the same when we consider the generosity of the man with the $20. If he were to say, "God made me do it," another person could say, "There is no God, so there must be some other reason."

Of course, my friend will use the money to obtain drugs.

Back
Top Bottom