• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A White teacher taught White students about White privilege. It cost him his job.

You're right that those black individuals who think white people are morally inferior aren't often in a position to hurt white people on account of it;
Aren't they, though? Or rather, couldn't they be?

If a black magistrate thought white people inferior, would they not be in a position to hurt white people on account of it?

I wish I had the privilege to put as many question marks as you at the end of sentences with the subject matter being oppression against blacks & discrimination against blacks (In America- since I recall you ain't from around here). Regrettably, it's a fact for me.
It doesn't answer my question though.

Oh my bad. Yes, a black Judge is in a position to hurt a white person on account of their race. I tried hard to find a case like that in America. Can you help me?

Thanks,
No, I can't help you. I think if a black judge had unconscious bias, it would not be obvious from looking at single cases, and if they had a conscious bias, they would not be open about it.

I am merely asking about the existence of the possibility. Years ago, I asked the same question of another person on this board, and she denied the possibility that any black person could have power over any real power over a white person. In the judge example, she said unless the judges on the appeals court, and every institution further on up and around was majority black, a black person had no real power over a white person.

I thought we were discussing something that exists and not your wet dreams. My mistake.
What?

I asked a hypothetical:
If a black magistrate thought white people inferior, would they not be in a position to hurt white people on account of it?

You responded not by answering that question, but by saying discrimination against black people was a reality. I said that did not answer my question. You then responded by allowing for the possibility but then sarcastically asking for evidence that my hypothetical had happened, which I was not asserting. I explained I was only looking for acknowledgment of the possibility, and then you said you thought we were discussing something that exists (which we are) and not my 'wet dreams'. Precisely why you think black prejudice against white people would sexually excite me I'm sure I don't know, but your implication is unfounded and rude.

Oh my bad. Yes, a black Judge is in a position to hurt a white person on account of their race. I tried hard to find a case like that in America. Can you help me?
Don't know if this counts* as being in a position to, but Thurgood Marshall (along with three white justices) attempted to do so when he voted to uphold UC Davis's racial quota system and keep Allan Bakke out of medical school on account of his race. But they were outvoted by the five white justices who ruled that racial quotas are illegal. But in any event, I haven't seen any indication that Marshall voted as he did because he thought white people were inferior in some way, which was the original issue you raised.

(* One could argue that being a Supreme Court justice by definition means he was in a position to hurt white people; contrariwise one could argue that if the white judges had split four-to-four then Marshall would have been in a position to hurt white people, but since they split five-to-three he was not. It's a metaphysical question.)

Don't know if this counts* as being in a position to, but Thurgood Marshall (along with three white justices) attempted to do so when he voted to uphold UC Davis's racial quota system and keep Allan Bakke out of medical school on account of his race. But they were outvoted by the five white justices who ruled that racial quotas are illegal. But in any event, I haven't seen any indication that Marshall voted as he did because he thought white people were inferior in some way, which was the original issue you raised.

(* One could argue that being a Supreme Court justice by definition means he was in a position to hurt white people; contrariwise one could argue that if the white judges had split four-to-four then Marshall would have been in a position to hurt white people, but since they split five-to-three he was not. It's a metaphysical question.)
I'd think it's fair to say yes that technically counts. Despite whether Thurgood succeeded or not he was in a position of power to hurt white people. His reasons (as you've already admitted) aren't quite up to snuff for the I'm doing this solely because you are white and I'm against all whites description though.

You responded not by answering that question, but by saying discrimination against black people was a reality. I said that did not answer my question. You then responded by allowing for the possibility but then sarcastically asking for evidence that my hypothetical had happened, which I was not asserting. I explained I was only looking for acknowledgment of the possibility, and then you said you thought we were discussing something that exists (which we are) and not my 'wet dreams'. Precisely why you think black prejudice against white people would sexually excite me I'm sure I don't know, but your implication is unfounded and rude.

My apologies Metaphor, that was rude on my part. I found the hypothetical question both irritating and pointless then lashed out as a result. I shouldn't have done that. Anyhow your question didn't move the discussion anywhere unless you had some relative follow-up I'm not aware of.

If a school says girls aren't allowed to take machine shop and have to take sewing instead, do you think its policy does something to favor boys? How the heck do boys benefit from that?

That’s an easy one.

Machine shop jobs pay ... more than sewing jobs.

Did you never notice that? Really?
Sorry, I'm not following your chain of reasoning here. By what mechanism does having a girl with him in his high school shop class stop a boy from getting a paid job in a machine shop further down the road?

If they have more people in a classroom, then they will get less individualized attention, but as far as later on with specific jobs, if there are more people in the labor market, then that is more supply and so the probability of having a job is decreased or expected value of salary is decreased since there is more supply of labor.
And that, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with the way the left reasons about "white privilege". It's what's wrong with the way the left reasons about everything. It's about 90% of the reason people become leftists in the first place. What's wrong with it is that it's straight-up zero-sum-game thinking. Life is not a zero sum game.

At my high school the room with the lathes and milling machines was in use about an hour a day. If girls at a discriminating school want to take machine shop instead of sewing, the school could react to that by teaching more machine shop classes and fewer sewing classes, and so continue to provide individualized attention.

Likewise, sure, the girl next to me in shop class might one day end up competing for the same job as me in one of the nation's apparently fixed supply of machine shops. But on the other hand, if the school didn't discriminate against girls, she might take her mastery of the craft and one day open her own machine shop, and I might get a job there that but for her presence in my classroom would never have existed in the first place.

The reason leftists infer privilege from racism is because they infer advantage from disadvantage and benefit from harm, because they are zero-sum-game thinkers. When Hawn told his students "white privilege is a fact" and used evidence of racism to try to back it up, he was implicitly relying on the unstated ideological premise that life is a zero sum game. But in fact discrimination harms us all. It causes us to inefficiently use human resources at less than full potential, thereby reducing the growth rate in the economy, thereby causing the opportunities we all compete for to be scarcer.

Back
Top Bottom