• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A Witch Blessed the Iowa Legislature, Not Everyone Was Okay With It

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...when-a-wiccan-witch-blessed-iowa-legislators/

“...more than half of representatives skipped the Wiccan prayer, according to the Des Moines Register.

Rep. Rob Taylor (R) attended, but turned his back during the blessing. This, he believes, is what Jesus would have done. “Jesus would be in the chamber, from my perspective. He would passively protest,” he told reporters.

Pastor Mike Demastus from the Fort Des Moines Church of Christ was in the audience balcony leading his own prayer for Maynard’s soul. “I was praying for her salvation. I was praying that she would come to know the one true God,” he told Radio Iowa.

“We feel that this is completely out of sync with the traditions of our state and our nation to seek guidance from the occult,” he said to the Register.

Michelle Gute came to pray so as to counteract Maynard’s Wiccan prayer. “I don’t want any demonic influences on the people who are making decisions on our behalf,” she said to the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Response to this seems obvious. Just do the same the next time a Christian does it, which is probably the next day, if not the same day?

Response to this seems obvious. Just do the same the next time a Christian does it, which is probably the next day, if not the same day?
Sacrifice a goat for the pastor's soul, as it were?

Or sacrifice a chicken in Indiana every time there's a christain opening prayer in any legislature, and shout 'Religious Freedom Restoration!' when you do it.

Egad. It really sucks when all the stupid people don't realize that freedom of religion was only supposed to apply to Christians.

Anyone got his contact info so we can all email his office and tell him what an ass he is and how to stop embarrassing the state of Iowa?

It's so idiotic, because anyone can "bless" or "curse" anything at any time.

I can vocalize "Oh fuck this BS" and you would never know, and I actually do when I am forced to attend prayer where I work. So, all the time my curse spoils your prayer? Is your God such a wimp?? Well now add your tacit blasphemy to the abomination!

I wonder how exactly a blessing can be avoided by turning one's back on the "blesser".

This really is absurdly laughable. Someone should dress as a witch doctor and stand across the street jujuing the assembly. :hysterical:

I can't believe they allowed a Wiccan blessing. Any blessing that doesn't come from a savior that ordered his disciples to metaphorically eat his flesh and drink his blood is a curse.

Allowing a non-Christian to give an invocation at a government function is a clear violation of freedom of religion!

This is obviously part of the liberals' conspiracy to convert us all to Islam before putting us all in FEMA reeducation camps!

:cheeky:

Back
Top Bottom