• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Abortion

I'll restate the OP.

Is there any difference between aborting a fetus just before normal birth(late term abortion) and terminating a baby after delivery and the cord is cut?

It is a yes no question. It is not about the majority of abortions or anything else. It is not about the legality of abortion. It is not about the social value of abortion.

It is about what you personally think is right or wrong.
I'm not sure why you'd go back to the second biggest red herring of your OP. Next to nobody thinks that a late term abortion of convenience is moral.

The biggest one was bringing up the RCC. I'm attached to Mother Church, but I don't take the Vatican as a moral authority. Unless they're smart enough to agree with me, which sometimes they are and sometimes not.

I was very disappointed by the OP. I rather wanted to discuss feticide as a moral issue, rather than a political issue. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen, at least not here.
Tom

I have not heard of forced organ donation.
Every woman who is forced to give birth agains her will is being forced to donate her uterus, her blood, her immune system and more to the fetus.

You have never heard of a woman being denied an abortion against her will?
That would certainly go to the Supreme Court.
It did, it has. Roe v Wade decided she should not be forced to donate her organs against her will to a fetus.
s/donate/loan/

Late term abortion is a very interesting area of ethics to consider.

It is, in fact, murder, past viability: they can end the relationship without killing the thing, and place it upon the mercy of another, and there are eager hands to offer this mercy.

It is not ethical to condemn someone to be a premature birth, however.

This creates an interesting juxtaposition where society can then expect someone who let that happen to take it the rest of the way.

The only times where this is not the case are cases of horrible, lethal birth defects and horrible, lethal complications to the pregnancy.

This means that there is an ethical gray area near that point and I suppose this is the foundation of why nobody considers late term abortion ethical.

Before that point, ending the relationship will necessitate and authorize euthanasia, and is as discussed, entirely the right of the host*.

*If the organism could ask to be left out to die, then it wouldn't be ethical to put it down before it dies of being disconnected to the only possible host organism.

I have not heard of forced organ donation.
Every woman who is forced to give birth agains her will is being forced to donate her uterus, her blood, her immune system and more to the fetus.
I hate this argument so much. It sounds so hyper-technical and petty.

A woman (teen?) being forced to endure pregnancy (from rape, incest, consensual intercourse... could be all the same) and birth and etc... isn't being forced to "donate" anything, she is being intimately violated by the state in a way that seems inconceivable, in about the same way as if she were forced by the state to have an abortion. The psychological fear / anxiety from being forced to do this, by the state and quite arbitrarily so, despite all of the consequences it'll have on her is a violation of the very basis of her existence as a woman.
That would certainly go to the Supreme Court.
It did, it has. Roe v Wade decided she should not be forced to donate her organs against her will to a fetus.
And Casey. And other cases as well. And in the end, none of it mattered post mid-2022.

none of it mattered post mid-2022.
Past tense? Mid 2022 isn’t here yet, and neither is the SCOTUS opinion.
You can bet that somewhere a magat is bending the ears of those five justices. They’re saying “look, you’re killin’ us here, can’t you just do something to help?”

none of it mattered post mid-2022.
Past tense? Mid 2022 isn’t here yet, and neither is the SCOTUS opinion.
You can bet that somewhere a magat is bending the ears of those five justices. They’re saying “look, you’re killin’ us here, can’t you just do something to help?”
This feels like a project I'm working on at the moment. People are complaining and asking about the latest inadequacy, what to do to prevent it (which has already happened and won't change), meanwhile I'm addressing what we are actually looking at, the next problem staring us in the face.

Science is part of it but I do not think there is an absolute right or wrong. It ends up being a feeling.

I was wondering how much pro choice supporters have actually thought it through. After thinking it through in the past while I disagree with pro lifers, I unsetrstand and empathize with how they feel. Infants are after all about survival of the species. The udea of a disposable fetus for convenience is repugnant to many. A moral outrage.

For me the line is viability outside the womb. I can not explain it logically.

A relted quetion might be when does the right of the group supersedes the right of their individual?

You have been answered clearly many times.

I'll restate the OP.

Is there any difference between aborting a fetus just before normal birth(late term abortion) and terminating a baby after delivery and the cord is cut?
Yes.
It is a yes no question.
Yes
It is not about the majority of abortions or anything else. It is not about the legality of abortion. It is not about the social value of abortion.

No, it is about whether there is an objective difference.
The answer is YES.
In one case there are the rights of two people involved and they may be in conflict.
In the other case there is only one person involved and there is no conflict.

The RED HERRING is you trying to construct a question where you feel morally permitted to ignore the human rights of a live adult human, and ask for a yes-or-no so that you can avoid admitting that you don’t want to talk about the rights of the live and adult human. Because you somehow feel empowered to deny her rights and that is so trivial to you that you’d like to just hand-wave it away.

YES there is a moral difference between a situation where two humans have conflicting rights and a situation with only one human.

That you choose to pretend that is not the conversation says a lot about how you view women.
And to the point of my first post, there are no conflicting rights. It is no person's right to the use of another's body. As their existence depends on that  mercy, all their rights end at the mercy of the person whose organs they are dependent on.

If mercy is above and beyond what they need to survive, if they could go and survive but to force them would be existentially fucked up and is so because you let the situation continue until that point THEN it may be expected to be seen through lest you murder or disfigure someone as a result of your actions.

The result being "third trimester abortions are fucked up unless something is severely wrong with the pregnancy, try to do it as early as possible if that's your decision, and it IS your decision!"

Which is where most people have already ended up.

Except the people who can't understand "no forced organ donations period"

I would expect even a hard core pro choice supporter who has a sense of humanity would feel something over abortion.

If not then you may be an emotionless cold ideological rock not a human being.

You have a right to destroy yourself in our culture. Drugs, alchohol, onesity.

Based on individaul rights why ban suicide? Why not have suiicde pills off the shelf in drug stores? After all it is yuur body. Weare just a ocllection of inanaimate atoms and molecules. Whar's the big deal?

Does a women have a right to drink and use drugs and not eat properly during pregnancy?

Some things I will see if I can find on the net.

1. If you hit a pregnant woman in the stomach and the fetus dies what is your criminal liability beyond assault of the woman.

2. If a fetus dies or becomes damaged because of the mother's use of drugs or alcohol or any negligence is there criminal liability for the woman?

Personally I do not see a distinction between abortion just before normal delivery and just after.

What about a woman who keeps getting pregnant and can not afford or has no mental capacity to raise kids?

If you hit a pregnant woman in the stomach and the fetus dies what is your criminal liability beyond assault of the woman.
When you kill some thing under the mercy of a other, you are wasting the effort and effects of that mercy. You are stealing from them the donation they have already given of themselves of their organs, robbing them of even the HOPE that mercy will be returned to them in the form of some fulfillment of their dreams of having a child "like themselves".

It is a very different thing choosing to withhold mercy, and choosing to deny someone else the power to offer mercy: it is denying them self-determination of their own body to the same extent as forcing a pregnancy.

Then, I also mentioned, it is ultimately up to the society which mercies it allows. We do not allow someone to take "mercy" on a billion mosquitoes so as to release them in a crowded downtown summer gathering, and it may be judged that there are reasonable limit on the mercies we allow people to extend with regards to producing and raising children.

As it is, my own mother had 3 children she couldn't reasonably care for whom she should have aborted. Child Services ultimately sorted that out.

I would expect even a hard core pro choice supporter who has a sense of humanity would feel something over abortion.

If not then you may be an emotionless cold ideological rock not a human being.

You have a right to destroy yourself in our culture. Drugs, alchohol, onesity.

The problem comes down to what you consider to have value.

Personally, there is only one substantial difference between what we choose to protect (people) and what we don't (animals etc): The mind. Thus, to me something that does not possess at least a somewhat functional mind can't be a person no matter how human-like their appearance. Think very carefully about destroying a person, but if there's no person there it doesn't matter.

Based on individaul rights why ban suicide? Why not have suiicde pills off the shelf in drug stores? After all it is yuur body. Weare just a ocllection of inanaimate atoms and molecules. Whar's the big deal?

It certainly shouldn't be OTC. However, I do support right-to-die laws, including euthanasia. At the end the doctors often can't alleviate the suffering enough to make life superior to death. People should have the right to decide they don't want to suffer anymore.

Personally I do not see a distinction between abortion just before normal delivery and just after.
And abortion just before delivery isn't going to happen in the first place except with a non-viable fetus. At that point if the pregnancy poses a threat to the woman they'll go for delivery/c-section rather than abortion.

Science is part of it but I do not think there is an absolute right or wrong. It ends up being a feeling.

I was wondering how much pro choice supporters have actually thought it through.
I was pro-choice in theory. Then my wife got pregnant and had a child. Then I became pro-choice in fact.
After thinking it through in the past while I disagree with pro lifers, I unsetrstand and empathize with how they feel. Infants are after all about survival of the species. The udea of a disposable fetus for convenience is repugnant to many. A moral outrage.
The trouble is we know that spontaneous abortions happen, and often, they go unnoticed. That means there is a line somewhere regarding what we consider life and not life.
For me the line is viability outside the womb. I can not explain it logically.
So much of our existence in arbitrary. The question for you to answer however, isn't when you think abortions shouldn't be allowed, but why you think you have a say in the matter.
A relted quetion might be when does the right of the group supersedes the right of their individual?
Technically the argument is the right of an unborn something or other (remember "the pill" is being targeted already) and the woman.

What about a woman who keeps getting pregnant and can not afford or has no mental capacity to raise kids?
Why is that hypothetical relevant to whether you have a say in regarding a woman's private health?

Why is late term abortion being repeatedly mentioned? I've never heard of a medical provider who would perform a late term abortion unless it was either to save the life of the mother, or to remove a nonviable fetus.
This is a philosophy forum, where odd questions are supposed to be analyzed with some attempt at rationality. It's clear from their comments that a number of participants here are not interested in doing that, and apparently think this is nothing more than a political forum where odd questions that if pursued might lead to interesting new insights should be answered with character assassination in the service of suppressing dissent.

But you ask a good question, and I take it that unlike the others, you're actually interested in finding out the answer. Here ya go.

Exhibit A:

You have been answered clearly many times.

I'll restate the OP.

Yes.

It is not about the majority of abortions or anything else. It is not about the legality of abortion. It is not about the social value of abortion.

No, it is about whether there is an objective difference.
The answer is YES.
In one case there are the rights of two people involved and they may be in conflict.
In the other case there is only one person involved and there is no conflict.
^^^^ That ^^^^ is why late term abortion is being repeatedly mentioned.

[ Still talking to SoHy here. ]

Nobody approaches the myriad different abortion questions in a theoretical vacuum. We judge each specific abortion question based on our personal moral senses and based on whatever overall moral theories we've settled on in our respective attempts to make our own moral senses make sense to us. The one Rhea proposes here is among the more popular of such theories. She is advancing the theory that a fetus a few days before normal delivery is not a person.

If it is true that a fetus a few days before normal delivery is not a person, then it follows that it would have no right not to be aborted even if there were no medical issues and even if the abortion were a matter of convenience. It follows, therefore, that if it's immoral to abort a viable healthy fetus a few days before normal delivery for the sake of convenience when it's medically unnecessary, then Rhea's moral theory is incorrect. This is a matter of logic; the circumstance that nobody ever does what Steve describes is completely immaterial to the correctness of the argument. What Steve is doing here is subjecting Rhea's moral theory to the intellectual test of whether it gives right answers in "corner cases". That's the normal way we falsify theories. Did we falsify Newton's Theory of Gravity by considering only what we see every day? If we accepted theories based on only the evidence of whether they fit everyday experience we'd have a hundred mutually contradictory theories and no way to settle which is right besides shouting at one other.

If our moral senses tell us a fetus a few days before normal delivery is a person and does have a right not to be aborted for the sake of convenience when there's no medical issue, and we deduce that Rhea's moral theory is wrong, that has an implication for real-world abortion questions far beyond the hypothetical corner case that helped us reach that conclusion. For example, what it implies about aborting a pre-viable five-months-along fetus is that we can dismiss any argument of the form "It's okay to abort because it's not a person until birth." That doesn't mean we can dismiss an argument that says "It's okay to abort because her womb, her choice.". It doesn't even mean we can dismiss an argument that says "It's okay to abort because it's not a person.", but it does mean that replying to the latter argument with "At what point does it become a person?" is a fair question. Steve's question is a good one because it helps us to narrow down the set of arguments we need to take seriously when we're trying to come up with a rational moral theory that won't conflict with our moral senses.

Steve is doing philosophy at its finest. That's what we're all supposed to be here for. Anyone not up for that kind of a discussion can go back to PD, where not having standards of evidence seems to be widely considered a point of honor. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

The RED HERRING is you trying to construct a question where you feel morally permitted to ignore the human rights of a live adult human, and ask for a yes-or-no so that you can avoid admitting that you don’t want to talk about the rights of the live and adult human.
At no point did Steve imply in any way that the mother's rights don't matter. And he already de facto stipulated that the mother's rights matter too when he wrote "The new state laws set an impossible lower bound of pregnancy detection." Rhea is strawmanning him.

Because you somehow feel empowered to deny her rights and that is so trivial to you that you’d like to just hand-wave it away.

YES there is a moral difference between a situation where two humans have conflicting rights and a situation with only one human.

That you choose to pretend that is not the conversation says a lot about how you view women.
That Rhea chooses to treat this as a "Let's slander Steve because he's a heretic." forum says a lot about how she views freethought.

A real and substantive current moral issue.

1. The RCC has always been against birth control even condoms. Birth control is morally equivalent to actual abortion. Is birth control immoral?
2. One line of demarcation is presence of a fetal heartbeat. Is it immoral to abort a fetus after a fetal heartbeat is heard but not before?
3. Another line is fetal viability. Is it moral to abort before viability outside the womb but not after?
4. Is it moral to abort a fetus a few days before normal delivery but immoral to kill the baby after delivery and the cord is cut?
5. Is abortion synonymous with killing?

For the above medical issues are not considered and the abortion is a matter of convenience.
Steve, have you read A Defense of Abortion? It's an article that came out just before Roe v Wade; it seems to be pretty much forgotten now but when I was a kid it was the most widely discussed essay in all philosophy. To anybody who hasn't already read it, read it. The part near the end where the author talks about her concept of "The Minimally Decent Samaritan" seems especially relevant to the discussion here.

(Judith Thomson, by the way, was co-inventor of The Trolley Problem.)

Why did you specify women?
That's a big part of why I find this conversation difficult. People talk about it as though it's strictly a women's issue when it's not.

Every one of those aborted fetal children had a father. Where the hell is he? Why isn't he supporting the mother and his child? If he's incapable of that, he needs to keep it in his pants.

A big part of the problem I have with RvW is the way it gets men off the hook for irresponsible, even abusive, sexual behavior. Whether he thinks it through this far or not, RvW enables him to dismiss the consequences of his choices.

As long as "Well the worst outcome is she needs to get an abortion, I don't even have to be there. It's all on her. Her Choice." of course men are going to behave badly. We always have(as a group, not all of us).

Maybe people who make babies that they aren't willing and able to properly care for ought to get their tubes tied or something. But certainly not just women.
Tom

A real and substantive current moral issue.

1. The RCC has always been against birth control even condoms. Birth control is morally equivalent to actual abortion. Is birth control immoral?
2. One line of demarcation is presence of a fetal heartbeat. Is it immoral to abort a fetus after a fetal heartbeat is heard but not before?
3. Another line is fetal viability. Is it moral to abort before viability outside the womb but not after?
4. Is it moral to abort a fetus a few days before normal delivery but immoral to kill the baby after delivery and the cord is cut?
5. Is abortion synonymous with killing?

For the above medical issues are not considered and the abortion is a matter of convenience.
Steve, have you read A Defense of Abortion? It's an article that came out just before Roe v Wade; it seems to be pretty much forgotten now but when I was a kid it was the most widely discussed essay in all philosophy. To anybody who hasn't already read it, read it. The part near the end where the author talks about her concept of "The Minimally Decent Samaritan" seems especially relevant to the discussion here.

(Judith Thomson, by the way, was co-inventor of The Trolley Problem.)
I don't really think it is much forgotten? The line of reasoning that was reached even by the second page is exactly the content of the second post in the thread: that nobody has an ethical right to the use of someone else's body, even for the sake of their own life, except when they have come to the point where their decisions will not kill but maim someone who MUST live with the consequences of someone else deciding to main them.

Hence late term abortions past viability are only acceptable when the trolly problem is in play, and it is again down to the discretion of someone already beyond an ethical horizon forced to decide from two bad options.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it's been covered, especially since I'm pretty sure both Rhea and Toni have also brought this up; they are where this line of reasoning first reached me.

It's a very easy argument to assimilate, and a powerful one.

Late term abortion involves killing the fetus in the womb and then taking it out. Anybody comfortable with that?
i am.

we kill all kinds of people all the time for a variety of reasons, and every human society has a laundry list of reasons why it's acceptable to kill some people in some circumstances.
i find "it's in your body and you don't want it to be" a completely acceptable reason to kill someone, in the same way i'm utterly sure that steve thinks "they're in your home and you don't want them to be" is a perfectly acceptable reason to shoot someone dead.

Back
Top Bottom