• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Afghan "train, advise and assist" 1984 style

E9rl-j0XoAUCJD-

Lots of bluster, little effect.

Ah, so how did Iran retaliate after Trump toasted Soleimani?

By a high risk missile attack which has injured about 100 soldiers. We were lucky enough to get intel to cut the risks of deaths, largely by running away from the military base...so macho...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...brain-injuries-from-iran-attack-idUSKBN2041ZK
The U.S. military on Monday disclosed a more than 50% jump in cases of traumatic brain injury stemming from Iran’s missile attack on a base in Iraq last month, with the number of service members diagnosed climbing to over 100.

Trump had four years to do something about Afghanistan and didn't accomplish a thing.

Getting out was never going to be easy.

It is something we don't tell the people who work for us in our deluded imperial schemes.

Trump had four years to do something about Afghanistan and didn't accomplish a thing.

It is something we don't tell the people who work for us in our deluded imperial schemes.

Pretty much this.

Trump kicked the "get out of Afghanistan" can down the road. So did Obama.

Worse though, was Bush II. He made the mess, then left the mess for future presidents to deal with.
Tom

Pretty much this.

Worse though, was Bush II. He made the mess, then left the mess for future presidents to deal with.
Tom
I'd have to say that El Cheato did some good, by agreeing to a withdrawal with the Taliban. It was a fucked up convoluted deal, but he did it in spite of the neocons whining. This allowed Biden to continue the process of exiting with some political cover from the usual right wing attacks against Democrats as being weak.

Pretty much this.

Tom
I'd have to say that El Cheato did some good, by agreeing to a withdrawal with the Taliban. It was a fucked up convoluted deal, but he did it in spite of the neocons whining. This allowed Biden to continue the process of exiting with some political cover from the usual right wing attacks against Democrats as being weak.

Dude, we all agree we should get out. But you don’t withdraw your military strength before the civilian evacuation. You don’t give up your most strategic base before civilian evacuation. You don’t leave terrorist prisoners to be freed by the Taliban. You don’t hand over $80B in military equipment/arms/etc to the Taliban. You don’t give the Taliban the names of US citizens and Afghan allies FOR FUCKS SAKE! There were no US military deaths since February 2020 before today. That shit head Biden has got to resign.

Dude, we all agree we should get out. But you don’t withdraw your military strength before the civilian evacuation. You don’t give up your most strategic base before civilian evacuation. You don’t leave terrorist prisoners to be freed by the Taliban. You don’t hand over $80B in military equipment/arms/etc to the Taliban. You don’t give the Taliban the names of US citizens and Afghan allies FOR FUCKS SAKE! There were no US military deaths since February 2020 before today. That shit head Biden has got to resign.

You don't leave your Pacific Fleet open to attack. You don't let religious fanatics take out your World Trade Towers and attack the Pentagon. Etc.

Hey, this being stupid shit is kinda fun! Whoda thunk it?!

Trump drew down the forces to 2500, not Biden. Trump let 5000 Taliban out of prison, not Biden.

Dude, we all agree we should get out.
What is this "we" shit? Is that a French thing? But anywho, glad to know that it only took a dozen plus years to get on board.

But you don’t withdraw your military strength before the civilian evacuation. You don’t give up your most strategic base before civilian evacuation.
Yeah, cuz like even a few people were warning that it all could collapse before we got out...like NO ONE.

You don’t leave terrorist prisoners to be freed by the Taliban.
Uh, so WTF does one do in this magical alt-reality world?

You don’t hand over $80B in military equipment/arms/etc to the Taliban.
Citation for what ever you are now going off about?

You don’t give the Taliban the names of US citizens and Afghan allies FOR FUCKS SAKE!
True. I'd like to hear more about what happened before I go screaming off my head on the street corner though...

There were no US military deaths since February 2020 before today. That shit head Biden has got to resign.
If so, then Biden would join a long list of Presidents that should have resigned whilst we talk silly stuff... A short list of recent presidents that quickly come to mind:

Clownstick -- for his State Dept letting 150-200 insanely Covid-19 exposed people just go off into the Atlanta airport and go home after being brought back from France due to a huge Covid-19 exposure. That inane event probably got dozens killed, and 10s of thousands sick. This was directly coordinated with France by the US State Dept, and the people were met at an isolated terminal by State Dept people when they landed. Only those that were pretty much falling onto gurneys were set aside...

Obama -- 4 State dept functionaries killed in Libya (I'm sure you like this one)

GWB -- 9/11 nuf said

Reagan -- 182 marines killed in Lebanon

Soylent Orange -- the new survivalist cracker

You don't leave your Pacific Fleet open to attack. You don't let religious fanatics take out your World Trade Towers and attack the Pentagon. Etc.

Hey, this being stupid shit is kinda fun! Whoda thunk it?!
I'll bet the President was warned that the Normandy Invasion had a small chance of failure. Maybe he should have just said, yeah can't take the chance, fuck it and just pack up the guns and bags and go home...

It's not a matter of Iran or any other country "letting" Taliban get supplies. It's a matter of them not being willing or able to set up a 1000 meter killzone for automated drones on their own border like the hypothetical US does in this hypothetical scenario. What you're suggesting is basically what Israel is doing to Gaza... except with about 2000 times the land area, and it's still leaking supplies.

1000 meter zone is on Afghan side.

Sure, it would be on the Afghan side, but the Americans would also be on the Afghan side in this case. If some other country were to do the same, would they invade Afghanistan to carve out security zones on foreign soil? Do you think Americans who would be occupying Afghanistan and responsible for its security, allow Iran or Uzbekistan to start claiming territory inside Afghanistan?

The scenario becomes more ludicrous the more you think about it.
America is the World Police. So no, no one else is allowed.

Sure, it would be on the Afghan side, but the Americans would also be on the Afghan side in this case. If some other country were to do the same, would they invade Afghanistan to carve out security zones on foreign soil? Do you think Americans who would be occupying Afghanistan and responsible for its security, allow Iran or Uzbekistan to start claiming territory inside Afghanistan?

The scenario becomes more ludicrous the more you think about it.
America is the World Police. So no, no one else is allowed.

Nothing wrong with being the world police. Just gotta stop letting bad people off because they have money and also stop killing the wrong people is all.

Edit: Not saying barbos said it's wrong. Just saying

Joy Reid interviewed AOC:

Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 on Twitter: "Thank you @AOC for continually advocating for America to be its best self. #raisetherefugeelimit (pic link)" / Twitter

The ReidOut on Twitter: "Rep. @AOC: "There are veterans across this country that served valiantly. They want to make sure that the promises that they offered at the very least can be kept... Let's at least help them keep their personal promises." #TheReidOut #reiders (vid link)" / Twitter

The 9/11 attacks happened when she was 12, and she had a classmate named Kevin. 6 years later, he joined the Marines. A few weeks ago, Kevin reached out to AOC and said "Please help get my friends out. I made them promises. These Afghan nationals, they interpreted for us. I asked them to trust me. Please help us get them out, and if we can, get them here."

She says that Afghans should not be demonized for helping and assisting the US armed forces.

It must be so frustrating that no one takes your bullshit seriously after 8 years of trying desperately to smear Obama and then another 4 years defending AtGolf Twitler for doing much much worse than anything Biden's done. I'm sure there's a lesson there.

Rep. Barbara Lee on Twitter: "As the people of Afghanistan face a humanitarian crisis, we must open our doors to refugees fleeing the consequences of a 40-year U.S.-fueled war.

Today, @RepAOC and I called on @POTUS to increase the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program cap. (pic link)" / Twitter

I've tracked down what Rep. BL wrote on her site: Representatives Lee and Ocasio-Cortez Lead Call for an Increase in United States Refugee Admissions Programs Cap as Afghanistan Crisis Continues
As the people of Afghanistan face an unfolding tragedy, the United States must open its doors to refugees fleeing the devastating consequences of a 20-year U.S. military occupation and 40 years of U.S.-fueled war. To ensure their safety, we urge you to increase the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program cap to no less than 200,000 when you issue your Presidential Determination on Refugee Admissions for Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 before October 1st. We also urge you to expand humanitarian parole to provide refuge to vulnerable Afghans who are in grave danger following the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.

After decades of disastrous U.S. intervention in Afghanistan, one thing is clear: we have a moral responsibility to provide safe harbor and refuge for the Afghan people. The U.S. war in Afghanistan has caused irreparable harm to Afghans as well as to the Americans who served there. Now, the growing humanitarian crisis is further exposing the horrific costs of our endless wars. The United States must do everything in its power to protect those who have borne the brunt of this decades-long conflict, especially Afghans who are at increased risk of persecution or death by the Taliban.
Letter to President Biden to increase FY22 refugee entries - FINAL - 08-26-2021[4].pdf -- has 68 signatures, including those of Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar

H.R.3985 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021 or the Allies Act of 2021

This bill increases the number of special immigrant visas available to qualified Afghan nationals who worked for the U.S. government or the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) missions in Afghanistan. The bill also relaxes certain qualifications for such visas.

Specifically, this bill makes available an additional 8,000 visas for principal aliens under this special visa program, to be available until all such visas have been issued. (The numerical limitations in this program apply only to the principal alien who applies for the visa, not to any accompanying spouse or child.)

Under this bill, an alien may qualify based on a credible basis for concern about the possibility of an ongoing serious threat in Afghanistan due to their work with the U.S. government or a NATO mission, where currently the alien must have experienced such a threat. The bill also eliminates a requirement for each applicant to submit a credible sworn statement describing that threat.

Furthermore, for an applicant qualifying for a visa by performing duties for U.S. military personnel stationed with a NATO mission, this bill eliminates a requirement that the duties performed qualify as sensitive and trusted duties.

If an alien submits a visa application that included an accompanying spouse or child but the alien passes away before the application is granted, the surviving spouse or child shall remain eligible to receive a visa under that application. Currently, a surviving spouse or child retains eligibility only if the application was approved before the alien passed away.
Sponsored by Rep. Crow, Jason [D-CO-6], with 140 cosponsors, 24 original.

The vote: Roll Call 218 | Bill Number: H. R. 3985 -- Jul 22, 2021, 10:47 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
D: Y 215, nv 4
R: Y 192, N 16, nv 3
Total: Y 407, N 16, nv 7

Biggs AZ, Boebert CO, Brooks AL, DesJarlais TN, Duncan SC, Good VA, Gosar AZ, Greene GA, Hern OK, Hice GA, Massie KY, Moore AL, Perry PA, Posey FL, Rosendale MT, Roy TX

Lauren Boebert and MTG voted against it. But Matt Gaetz voted for it.

It's now in the Senate.

I did watch the Tucker Carlson segment. His guest, Lara Logan, thinks that victory could have been obtained easily, but that the U.S. "deep state" constrained U.S. power out of fear of Pakistan's nuclear weapons. Instead we should have threatened Pakistan (with what?) and forced them to help more. The funniest part of the segment came when Logan said "at its heart every single thing in the world ... is very simple." Carlson interrupted her to applaud this message. (Yes, this is the key message for Trumpists, FauxPotatoes and other Ignoristas — scientists and thinkers make everything complicated: but Uncle Archie or a carnival barker can tell you all you need to know.)

I think that simplifications can be very useful but most real-world issues are NOT simple; complexity is the rule. And I'd want to attend many more Presidential Briefings before I offer an opinion on Afghanistan.

So we have at least three distinct views on Afghanistan.

(1) Barbos' suggestion that we should have killed a lot of Talibans (and necessarily Afghan bystanders and hostages); and if that didn't work kill a lot more. Siunce Tucker's Lara Logan likes simplifications, I'll simplify her view by assigning her to Barbos' camp.

(2) This intelligent opinion from the N.Y. Times which quotes Charles de Gaulle: It is almost always futile for a Western power to involve itself in a foreign civil war, whether Algeria, Vietnam or Afghanistan.

(3) Trevor Noah's opinion that the U.S.'s efforts in Afghanistan reeked of such confusion and incompetence, that they were doomed. Whether de Gaulle's advice was correct or not in general, the sooner the U.S. stopped its incompetent adventure the better.

Here's a 6-minute Trevor Noah segment from two years ago. He presents evidence that the U.S. didn't know what its goals in Afghanistan were then, except to spend money as fast as they could! For example, they provided millions of dollars in forest-camouflage uniforms ... in a country with almost no forest.

YOUTUBE = jEgbIUWWAJQ

Back
Top Bottom