• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

After Christian Burns LGBTQ Library Books, Atheist Raises $1,000 to Replace Them

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
Another day, yet another demonstration of how evil and disgusting xtianity is. Burning books is beyond the pale....

As we posted about last week, Iowa Christian activist Paul Dorr recently burned several LGBTQ books from the Orange City Public Library to make a statement against what he saw as a permissive sexual culture.

Burning books isn’t a problem in and of itself. But these were the public’s books, not Dorr’s personal copies. He was trying to make sure no one could read them.

That backfired.

Since the video was written about online, donations to the library have been pouring in. More than 200 LGBTQ books and lots of cash have been given to the library from people eager to make amends for Dorr’s actions.

Considering he burned about $50 worth of books, that’s a huge turnaround.
One of those online fundraisers was started by local atheist activist, Justin Scott, the state director for American Atheists:

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com...ry-books-atheist-raises-1000-to-replace-them/

Just remember, Paul Dorr of Iowa. You have ONE mommy who coddles you and coos when you do your double-Christiany act. But Heather has TWO mommies.

And Dorr's cunning plan to raise $950 for the local library comes to fruition.

That guy's playing 3D chess while the stupid atheists are sitting the sandbox eating playdoh.

And Dorr's cunning plan to raise $950 for the local library comes to fruition.

That guy's playing 3D chess while the stupid atheists are sitting the sandbox eating playdoh.

LOL Funny, although I'm not sure if that was his plan. It is sad that people broad brush entire groups for the actions of a single asshole. If everyone did this, then should all atheists/anarchists be broad brushed as terrorists and attempted murderers?

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/07/terrorist_plot_foiled_by_fbi_w_1.html
douglas-wright-brandon-baxter-anthony-hayne-joshua-stafford-connor-stevens-dc9d4618aa21913b.jpg

He should be arrested for destroying public property and forced to pay not only the cost of replacement books, but all costs associated with acquiring the new books and the labor to enforce the law against him.

I haven't checked for a while. Are atheists still the most hated and distrusted group identity in America? Have things changed? I may be showing my age here.

If everyone did this, then should all atheists/anarchists be broad brushed as terrorists and attempted murderers?
Is it somehow less wrong to do it, if everyone does it, is that what you're saying?

No, wrong remains wrong is my point. However, interesting that you think that way.

I don't think that way. I was trying to understand what you were actually saying. Thus, the part where I ask what you're saying...

Is it a new requirement that all atheists must be anarchists, and all anarchists must be atheists?

Or was someone making a ridiculous attempt to conflate two distinct groups in order to use scary pictures of some wannabe bombers to tar and feather atheists.

I haven't checked for a while. Are atheists still the most hated and distrusted group identity in America? Have things changed? I may be showing my age here.

I think they now have Congressmen beat. :D ...but I can't find a side-by-side comparison.

Among religious groups:
http://www.pewforum.org/2017/02/15/...singly-warm-feelings-toward-religious-groups/
PF.02.15.17_thermometer-04.png

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...021115e0931b57434e/1449539330883/30038986.pdf

https://listosaur.com/miscellaneous/10-most-despised-professions-in-america/
1. Members of Congress
Imagine if 75 percent of your colleagues, clients and peers rated your job performance as “poor.” Would you still have a job the next day? A Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 likely voters in November 2013 found 75 percent rated Congress as doing a “poor” job. And this isn’t a Democrat/Republican thing; if it were possible, 78 percent of poll respondents said they would vote to get rid of the entire Congress and start over. No wonder that a recent tongue-in-cheek poll by Public Policy Polling found that members of Congress were less popular than cockroaches, lice, colonoscopies and even Genghis Kahn. The good news for these much-maligned politicians: Congress rated slightly higher than Lindsey Lohan, the Kardashians and meth labs. There may be a lesson here, but we’re not sure what it means.

No, wrong remains wrong is my point. However, interesting that you think that way.

I don't think that way. I was trying to understand what you were actually saying. Thus, the part where I ask what you're saying...

Yet you chose not to answer the question. That's also interesting to me.

I didn't answer the question
1] that you were asking Tom Sawywer
2] that i wasn't sure i understood.
And you find this significant because reasons.
Okay.

Yet you chose not to answer the question. That's also interesting to me.

I didn't answer the question
1] that you were asking Tom Sawywer
2] that i wasn't sure i understood.
And you find this significant because reasons.
Okay.

Yet you replied to a post without answering the question.

Yes, I think all of us reveal a little bit of ourselves every time we post.

It is sad that people broad brush entire groups for the actions of a single asshole.
The OP wrote "xtianity", and that's a body of beliefs and not an entire group of people. Yes, Christianity is comprised of people but clearly the religion in itself is the focus because the beliefs are problematic. So the point is the nutty beliefs cause many believers to do nutty things unhelpful to society.

If everyone did this, then should all atheists/anarchists be broad brushed as terrorists and attempted murderers?
No because that's a fallacy. One nobody made in this thread.

I think white men may be an identifiable group that is rapidly moving up in the groups that are hated.

It wrong to hate, but obviously many people do hate. Who do you think hates "white men" the most? Second and third most?

It is sad that people broad brush entire groups for the actions of a single asshole.
The OP wrote "xtianity", and that's a body of beliefs and not an entire group of people. Yes, Christianity is comprised of people but clearly the religion in itself is the focus because the beliefs are problematic. So the point is the nutty beliefs cause many believers to do nutty things unhelpful to society.

No because that's a fallacy. One nobody made in this thread.

Disagreed since the largest religion in the world has a broad range of believers from ardent (nutjob) to casual. To paint all with the same brush is as stupid as saying all atheists are murdering terrorists seeking to destroy the USA. Obviously not true nor honest to claim so.

Perhaps you now see my point. Perhaps not.

Back
Top Bottom