• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Shouted Out Telfar on Instagram
“Fun fact,” she wrote. “Telfar is now known as a globally celebrated designer, but did you know this Black, LGBTQ+ designer and founder got their start in LEFRAK CITY, QUEENS?”

“That’s right!” she continued. “Telfar Clemens is a HOMETOWN HERO from our district! Another NY-14 native using their talents to challenge us to question convention and imagine a different world. Our community is so proud!”
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez shows what the future of the left looks like - Vox
As groups like DSA work expand their appeal, they face a particularly uncertain environment, however. Alliances have been drawn and redrawn by Covid-19, an unpredictable president, and the economic collapse. These shifting political currents makes a long term organizing a tricky order.

Yet this type of multiracial coalition-building is something that Ocasio-Cortez, whom James describes as “a really important leader” for DSA, has excelled at in her congressional career. Regularly advocating for anti-racism, reparations, police reform on her social media platforms and on the Hill, she has drawn comparisons to activists like Martin Luther King Jr. and politicians like Shirley Chisholm.

Her ease with Black activists and thinkers is a coveted asset for progressives who have long struggled to win over Black voters from mainstream Democrats. Often progressives are accused of forging a reductive analysis of the role of racism in American society in relation to class.

How Texas became ‘home away from home’ for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - HoustonChronicle.com
Starting in 2005 as a teenager, Ocasio-Cortez participated in the National Hispanic Institute programs that Nieto and his wife Gloria de Leon created 41 years ago this summer. That program, now headquartered outside of San Marcos in Maxwell, was designed to help promising Latino students develop leadership skills and public policy knowledge to help them become lifelong leaders.

Its alumni include Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, U.S. Rep. Xochitl Liana Torres Small, D-New Mexico, and New York City Councilman Carlos Menchaca, along with an estimated 100,000 other Latinos.

But of all the students, Nieto saw something very special about Ocasio-Cortez, who was a sophomore in high school when she enrolled.

“She is unafraid of anyone,” Nieto said. “She was just as confident back then as she is now.”
Then about her participation in that mock-parliament exercise. She didn't win any leadership position, but she didn't give up trying.

She'd later participate for some years as a volunteer educator.
De Leon said Ocasio-Cortez learned how to ask the right questions and how to dig a little further to find common ground.

“She’s a really good listener,” Nieto said. “She had an intellectual capacity and verbal capacity to explain to people, especially younger people, complex concepts.”

Ocasio-Cortez’s work as a student would lead to an internship with the NHI while she was studying at Boston University, a role that Ocasio-Cortez said put her on the road between San Antonio and McAllen regularly as part of outreach efforts with Latino families in South Texas. She was the group’s education director in 2017.

In an article for the NHI alumni newsletter in 2017, Ocasio-Cortez talked about how the program helped teach community equity building skills that epitomized what her campaign tried to do. Instead of looking for outside experts to help organize, she said they learned how to build the skill within their community — a key tenet at the institute.

But also in a sign of her training, Ocasio-Cortez talked about how the program taught her to lead without being afraid of taking on tough odds or challenging conventional thinking.

“We’re always careful to be respectful, but we’re also unafraid,” she said. “To run an ‘unafraid’ campaign is actually pretty new. People are used to campaigns that are constantly focused-grouped and a sure thing. We’re not afraid to fall on our face sometimes and take a stand and have people respond and start a conversation.”
Looking at her past, it's evident that AOC has been much more than a bartender. All she needed was a good gig, and we can thank Brand New Congress for recruiting her.

Book review of AOC The Fearless Rise and Powerful Resonance of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez by Lynda Lopez - The Washington Post
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s vertiginous ascent from millennial bartender to one of the most talked-about political figures in the nation has spotlighted the deep divides in our public life on issues ranging from gender and generation to race and religion. In “AOC: The Fearless Rise and Powerful Resonance of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,” broadcast journalist Lynda Lopez eschews both-sidesism and instead resolves to “check in with people from the communities to whom she has meant the most.” As the book’s editor, Lopez has collected smart, briskly written and often inspiring essays about the Bronx-born Boricua phenom. The pieces largely concentrate on two central themes: identity and policy. “AOC is not just culturally symbolic,” Lopez explains in the volume’s introduction. “She is a symbol meeting a moment, a particular American moment that is massively important to communities not used to having their voices heard.”

Ocasio-Cortez has become an instant political star, Lopez writes, by using her mastery of social media and political rhetoric “to force the media to cover and politicians to address some of the most pressing — and most pushed aside — issues of our time, including poverty, gender and racial economic disparities, massive and unsustainable income inequality, and the urgency around environmental issues.
Several of the contributors identify with her and appreciate how she is someone like them who made it big.

AOC once recently did a video on starting a childcare cooperative. She and State-Senator-elect Jabari Brisport did an introduction, and they noted what a dilemma this virus is creating for many parents. Then they introduced TeamAOC activist Jonathan Soto, and he described how to set up such a cooperative.

An important part is the hours exchange. Take care of others' kids for an hour and you earn the right of another participant to take care of your kids.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "How often does your member of Congress (House or Senate) host town halls? Have you ever gone to one?" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "(My answer: I host one per month minimum. Pre-COVID, I rotated locations between the Bronx & Queens. These days we do all-digital ones that you can join via Zoom and later find on YouTube)" / Twitter

AOC got lots of responses. Some do, some don't.

Some noted Republicans don't, and at least one Democrat doesn't: Nancy Pelosi.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Quick IG Q&A after Tuesday’s Dem Convention program” - AOC's Aug-18 convention speech was recorded about a week earlier.

The November election, she tells us, is about stopping fascism. Necessary to build a big coalition, and to cope with our differences as we do so.

Our fight won't end if Joe Biden is elected. Electoral politics is not enough. Activism is also necessary. Still fighting for M4A, a living wage, justice + dignity for immigrants, dismantling the legacy of slavery, ... Will be in it for the rest of our lives.

Some questions.

How can one help one's preferred candidates win if one can't vote? She says that one can volunteer in politicians' campaigns to do various things. One doesn't need to eligible to vote in order to do phonebanking. Not just the President. Also about Congress, state gov'ts, local gov'ts.

Is the Democratic Party united? It's divided on a lot of things, but it's united against Trump. She uses the word "fascism" very seriously. Because it's an admin which would dismantle democracy in order to stay in power.

The Latino community in this election? In SW states like CO, AZ, TX, Latino voters can be an important vote. She explains "el espiritu del pueblo" (the spirit of the people).

Then on the USPS drama llama. Congress will be ending recess early to focus on it, something that she agrees with. For Postmaster General DeJoy's recent announcement of stopping changes, she credits all the people out there who stood up for the USPS. It's not enough to stop these changes, she says, they must be reversed.

How to get more women in politics? It's just plain hard. Thicker skin. Coping with self-doubt. Pulling oneself together a lot of the time. She didn't feel like a legitimate member of Congress until she won her second primary election. Her first one seemed like an accident to many people. But winning -- and winning with a huge margin against a well-funded challenger -- made a big difference. Then dealing with one's haters -- in one's party as well as outside it.

Voting - a means rather than an end. Then, activism as a way of life. She compares it to a "faith practice" and a "cultural practice".

Then on why she won't appear on Fox News. She did appear once, but that was because of the coronavirus. But she doesn't want to support Fox's business. Fox people will clip out of context anything that she's said to try to make a big scandal out of it. She mentioned Media Matters and its discussion of Fox News and how corrupt it is. Also Fox News provoking a lot of hatred of her.

Finally, practicing hope. "Hope is a discipline", she says. We usually think of hope as something to look for, but she says that hope is something that we can create for ourselves. Mariame Kaba talks about that. Electing Joe Biden could create hope. Also poetry. Or a pickup basketball league for the local kids. Or one's friendships. Or using one's privileges to help others. "How can we be hope?" Like standing up for other people. Then she signed off.

How Texas became ‘home away from home’ for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - HoustonChronicle.com
Starting in 2005 as a teenager, Ocasio-Cortez participated in the National Hispanic Institute programs that Nieto and his wife Gloria de Leon created 41 years ago this summer. That program, now headquartered outside of San Marcos in Maxwell, was designed to help promising Latino students develop leadership skills and public policy knowledge to help them become lifelong leaders.

Its alumni include Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, U.S. Rep. Xochitl Liana Torres Small, D-New Mexico, and New York City Councilman Carlos Menchaca, along with an estimated 100,000 other Latinos.

But of all the students, Nieto saw something very special about Ocasio-Cortez, who was a sophomore in high school when she enrolled.

“She is unafraid of anyone,” Nieto said. “She was just as confident back then as she is now.”
Then about her participation in that mock-parliament exercise. She didn't win any leadership position, but she didn't give up trying.

She'd later participate for some years as a volunteer educator.
De Leon said Ocasio-Cortez learned how to ask the right questions and how to dig a little further to find common ground.

“She’s a really good listener,” Nieto said. “She had an intellectual capacity and verbal capacity to explain to people, especially younger people, complex concepts.”

Ocasio-Cortez’s work as a student would lead to an internship with the NHI while she was studying at Boston University, a role that Ocasio-Cortez said put her on the road between San Antonio and McAllen regularly as part of outreach efforts with Latino families in South Texas. She was the group’s education director in 2017.

In an article for the NHI alumni newsletter in 2017, Ocasio-Cortez talked about how the program helped teach community equity building skills that epitomized what her campaign tried to do. Instead of looking for outside experts to help organize, she said they learned how to build the skill within their community — a key tenet at the institute.

But also in a sign of her training, Ocasio-Cortez talked about how the program taught her to lead without being afraid of taking on tough odds or challenging conventional thinking.

“We’re always careful to be respectful, but we’re also unafraid,” she said. “To run an ‘unafraid’ campaign is actually pretty new. People are used to campaigns that are constantly focused-grouped and a sure thing. We’re not afraid to fall on our face sometimes and take a stand and have people respond and start a conversation.”
Looking at her past, it's evident that AOC has been much more than a bartender. All she needed was a good gig, and we can thank Brand New Congress for recruiting her.

We have our very own AOC right here in the land down under Australia. She's an ex fish & chip owner who at least ran her own business. Her name is Pauline Hanson and she hails from the hard right instead of the hard left as AOC does. Otherwise they both spew out the same nonsense.

Some noted Republicans don't, and at least one Democrat doesn't: Nancy Pelosi.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Quick IG Q&A after Tuesday’s Dem Convention program” - AOC's Aug-18 convention speech was recorded about a week earlier.

The November election, she tells us, is about stopping fascism. Necessary to build a big coalition, and to cope with our differences as we do so.

Our fight won't end if Joe Biden is elected. Electoral politics is not enough. Activism is also necessary. Still fighting for M4A, a living wage, justice + dignity for immigrants, dismantling the legacy of slavery, ... Will be in it for the rest of our lives.

Some questions.

How can one help one's preferred candidates win if one can't vote? She says that one can volunteer in politicians' campaigns to do various things. One doesn't need to eligible to vote in order to do phonebanking. Not just the President. Also about Congress, state gov'ts, local gov'ts.

Is the Democratic Party united? It's divided on a lot of things, but it's united against Trump. She uses the word "fascism" very seriously. Because it's an admin which would dismantle democracy in order to stay in power.

The Latino community in this election? In SW states like CO, AZ, TX, Latino voters can be an important vote. She explains "el espiritu del pueblo" (the spirit of the people).

Then on the USPS drama llama. Congress will be ending recess early to focus on it, something that she agrees with. For Postmaster General DeJoy's recent announcement of stopping changes, she credits all the people out there who stood up for the USPS. It's not enough to stop these changes, she says, they must be reversed.

How to get more women in politics? It's just plain hard. Thicker skin. Coping with self-doubt. Pulling oneself together a lot of the time. She didn't feel like a legitimate member of Congress until she won her second primary election. Her first one seemed like an accident to many people. But winning -- and winning with a huge margin against a well-funded challenger -- made a big difference. Then dealing with one's haters -- in one's party as well as outside it.

Voting - a means rather than an end. Then, activism as a way of life. She compares it to a "faith practice" and a "cultural practice".

Then on why she won't appear on Fox News. She did appear once, but that was because of the coronavirus. But she doesn't want to support Fox's business. Fox people will clip out of context anything that she's said to try to make a big scandal out of it. She mentioned Media Matters and its discussion of Fox News and how corrupt it is. Also Fox News provoking a lot of hatred of her.

Finally, practicing hope. "Hope is a discipline", she says. We usually think of hope as something to look for, but she says that hope is something that we can create for ourselves. Mariame Kaba talks about that. Electing Joe Biden could create hope. Also poetry. Or a pickup basketball league for the local kids. Or one's friendships. Or using one's privileges to help others. "How can we be hope?" Like standing up for other people. Then she signed off.

Whoa! AOC wants a big coalition?? That's some welcome news.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Shares the Makeup She Uses for Public Appearances | Allure - from near the end of last year.
"So, first and foremost, I do not have a glam team. I don't have a hairstylist, I don't have a makeup artist that I take on the road with me. I do my own makeup," Ocasio-Cortez says in a makeup-free video taken with her phone's front-facing camera, explaining that the only time a professional does her makeup is when TV station makeup artists do it so it shows up correctly on-camera. "So it's all very DIY, especially if you're a woman running for office. You just have to learn how to do your own makeup. And I did it with lots of YouTube tutorials."

Along with the photo, she wrote, "This is what I used today. It's more than usual (for me) but campaign stops have a zillion lights, lots of cameras, etc and it needs to stay on for a very long day." She also noted, "Most of these products have excellent dupes! I also use dupes/drugstore bb cream for everyday makeup too."
Although she clearly likes self-beautification, she doesn't like how it makes an extra burden on women for looking presentable.
"This is kind of one of those small rituals that happens every day," she says after revealing her completed look. "Well, not every day if you're me, but, I think if you're a woman running for office or just kind of in the workplace in general, this is one of those slight elevated expectations of women, to put 30 minutes to an hour into their appearance every day to look just as 'presentable' as a man who puts 10 minutes into their appearance."

"On a day to day level, it may not seem that big of a difference, but when you added up over years, women spending an hour in the morning — that's one more hour in the day that adds to what women have to do that a lot of other people don't have to do. And I think it's an important conversation for us to have."

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Beauty Secrets: On Self-Love, Fighting the Power, and Her Signature Red Lip | Vogue
noting Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Guide to Her Signature Red Lip | Beauty Secrets | Vogue - YouTube - "Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez takes Vogue through her beauty routine, from bold, bright lipstick to the unexpected makeup move that’s proved an instant mood booster."

Amanda Litman on Twitter: "“Our culture is so predicated on diminishing women & preying on our self-esteem, & so it’s quite a radical act—and it’s almost like a mini protest—to love yourself in a society that’s always telling you you’re not the right ... whatever it is." - @AOC https://t.co/0PAnf928PI" / Twitter

Back to the Vogue article:
“The reason why I think it’s so important to share these things is that, first of all, femininity has power, and in politics there is so much criticism and nitpicking about how women and femme people present ourselves,” she explains. “Just being a woman is quite politicized here in Washington…. There’s this really false idea that if you care about makeup or if your interests are in beauty and fashion, that that’s somehow frivolous. But I actually think these are some of the most substantive decisions that we make—and we make them every morning.”

“I love beauty, but also I try not to have a full beat every day,” she says. “Some days I choose to go in with a bare face, and other days when I want to feel glam, I do glam”

“Our culture is so predicated on diminishing women and preying on our self-esteem, and so it’s quite a radical act—and it’s almost like a mini protest—to love yourself in a society that’s always telling you you’re not the right weight, you’re not the right color, you’re not the right, you know, whatever it is,” she says. “When you stand up and say, ‘You know what? You don’t make that decision. I make that decision,’ it’s very powerful. But that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun,”

“I went from working in a restaurant to being on cable news all the time,” she recalls. “I initially really struggled with that. At a certain point, I just learned that you cannot get your feelings of beauty and confidence from anyone but yourself…. If I’m going to spend an hour in the morning doing my glam, it’s not going to be because I’m afraid of what some Republican photo is going to look like…. It’s because I feel like it,” she says with a smile.

“I’m not trying to change my features or shape-shift—I’m just trying to accentuate my existing features,” she says as she adds a touch of the cream-to-powder pigment to her nose. “I’m not trying to make it look bigger. I’m not trying to make it look smaller.… I’m just trying to show people what I got.”

“I’m very lucky because brows are in,” Ocasio-Cortez notes, tracing a pencil over the edges of her arches before breaking into a laugh: “My family has brows. Many people in my family are born with one brow, and we have to turn it into two brows.”

AOC grumbled about the "pink tax", women-related products and services being more expensive than men-related ones. Like women's drycleaning costing more than men's drycleaning in many places. Also women having to spend more time in various necessary and presumed-necessary tasks -- and being paid less than men for the work that they do.

She likes to experiment. Like she once thought that shimmer wouldn't help her, but when she tried it, it looked great.

Turning to lipstick, “I will wear a red lip when I want confidence, when I need a boost of confidence.” A problem with wearing lipstick is that one should avoid having to continually fix it during the day, and AOC has found a low-maintenance brand: "Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I have been getting many inquiries about my debate lip color in the last two days.
I GOT YOU.
It’s Stila “Stay All Day” Liquid in Beso. 💄 https://t.co/xhkxSXZXCO" / Twitter

On June 17, 2018 - the lipstick that she wore when debating her opponent Joe Crowley.

Back to Vogue.
“If I had to give one piece of advice, it is that the key to beauty is the inside job—the key to beauty is feeling beautiful, and no amount of money or makeup can really compensate for loving yourself,” Ocasio-Cortez says. “If you need a little boost or if you’re feeling particularly challenged that day, look in the mirror and say, ‘I’m the bomb, and I will make the world a better place in my own little pocket because that’s what I’m here to do’…. There’s something that you bring, and you need to know that, and that is the best beauty secret of them all.”

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez's Bathroom In Vogue Video - "An Ode To AOC’s Totally Normal-Looking Towel Rack" - not something fancy or expensive

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "These women are my lifeline. I wouldn’t have been able to survive this first term without their sisterhood.
Thank you @VanityFair for giving us & 22 activists space to champion Black maternal health, housing, civil rights and economic justice for all. (links)" / Twitter

then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "(📸: Kennedi Carter)" / Twitter
noting
Black Activists and Visionaries to Celebrate: The Squad, Billy Porter, Noname, and More | Vanity Fair

A picture of AOC with her good friends and fellow Reps Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Want to learn a bit about how I prep for hearings? Check out my IG stories 🤗" / Twitter
noting
Amanda Litman on Twitter: "I know it’s unnecessary to say “watch @AOC’s Insta story” but srsly watch how she preps for hearings. She *can* do this b/c she doesn’t have to fundraise, &, she *has* to do this b/c opponents will jump at any chance to criticize her. Either way: She does the damn thing.👑👑 https://t.co/lhTT1I1FPT" / Twitter

Some responses:
Dr. Kristy King on Twitter: "@amandalitman @AOC As a person who taught first-year college analytic writing for a thousand years, my heart swells to see @AOC using all the tools to map lines of argument." / Twitter
and
VOTE EARLY on Twitter: "@amandalitman @VNL @AOC She and many of the other ladies on the committee outshone their male counterparts, many times over. But then, that’s the story of successful women. @aoc was prepared, deliberate, clear, masterful." / Twitter

Although she clearly likes self-beautification, she doesn't like how it makes an extra burden on women for looking presentable.]

AOC grumbled about the "pink tax", women-related products and services being more expensive than men-related ones. Like women's drycleaning costing more than men's drycleaning in many places. Also women having to spend more time in various necessary and presumed-necessary tasks -- and being paid less than men for the work that they do.]

Much of this is unnecessary. For example, I don’t even bother buying shampoo any longer. I just use the bar of soap I’m already using. It’s cost effective and efficient.
Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Yeah, we’ll, you’re a guy and can get away with it. So can girls. They just have to want to. To stop this “definition by appearance” stuff. A girl at my grocery doesn’t shave her legs. I don’t care. She obviously doesn’t either. I only notice because it looks out of place in society. Beyond personal hygiene, I personally couldn’t care less. Actually, I find the various scents many women and some men use offensive. People should be seen, not smelt.

Although she clearly likes self-beautification, she doesn't like how it makes an extra burden on women for looking presentable.]

AOC grumbled about the "pink tax", women-related products and services being more expensive than men-related ones. Like women's drycleaning costing more than men's drycleaning in many places. Also women having to spend more time in various necessary and presumed-necessary tasks -- and being paid less than men for the work that they do.]

Much of this is unnecessary. For example, I don’t even bother buying shampoo any longer. I just use the bar of soap I’m already using. It’s cost effective and efficient.

Ordinary bar soap leaves undesirable residue on hair.

Hanaa’ Tameez on Twitter: ".@AOC’s answer to a question about the news media is worth reading: https://t.co/rbMYUQ7UNQ" / Twitter
then
Hanaa’ Tameez on Twitter: "Oh she added more! Please pay for news 🙏🏽 https://t.co/gUoOnP3gkt" / Twitter

She wrote
OK so first things first: journalists & members of the press are people with jobs that are overworked, underpaid, underappreciated. So I'm not here to dump on them because they deal with enough. I respect them a lot and admire those who conduct their work with integrity.

But the institutions and incentives in media overall is absolutely incentivized towards conflict and drama, because that is what generates clicks, views, and revenue. That said, when you see a FACT that is reported, cited, and verified by several reputable outlets, 99.999% it's going to be true.

HOWEVER! there is a BIG difference between a fact and the STORY. And the STORY (often the headline) that's told surrounding the fact is frequently stretched, mischaracterized, or dramatized to jet you to click. Sometimes the STORY is so misleading that even though it contains FACTS it is told in such a way that people will walk away thinking the wrong thing, or just getting angry about something that's actually not a big deal. And that creates lack of trust in media & institutions, and overall polarization. I will give you an example.
Then she got into the Bernie-endorsement drama llama at the Democratic National Convention, and then added some more discussion.
Don't rely on only one source. Every outlet has their own biases and habits, even they don't want to admit it. Read multiple outlets to determine YOUR perspective.

- Get an idea for each outlet's slant / vibe / perspective / whatever you want to call it. Media bias rarely shows up as "this outlet is out to get X politician" (though there are some hacky, 2nd/3rd tier outlets or websites that are that way), but it's more often: bias towards a certain class perspective that's out of touch, or it's a bias against context they DON'T have ie race. For example, lot of newsrooms don't have enough empowered BIPOC journalists, so their coverage be really tone deaf towards race, or gender, or class, etc.

- Identify journalists whose work you respect and trust. They often specialize in topics you are interested in, from politics to gaming. Follow them. I find that to be a lot more illuminating than just blanket loyalty to an outlet

- Take a beat. Many headlines are designed to trigger an emotional response. So if you have the inclination to get angry, pause.

- Also: many journalists are not responsible for the headlines above their work. Which I find really sad, bc they will put in a ton of work on article just for an editor to put in a horrible headline that undercuts all the work they just did. I believe digital headlines should be held to higher editorial standards to preserve people's trust.

I believe we should hold headlines accountable too.

This also does NOT mean that news you dislike or disagree with isn't true!

But as a person in the whirlwind of it, it can feel quite unfair at times bc so much of it leans on lazy tropes and narratives.

That is why I'm pretty assertive about correcting the record, logging my disagreements with certain takes, and commanding my own narrative. Because if they do it to me, they will do it to every other person who isn't traditionally seen as part of the political class. I see this as precedent-setting for other leaders who are on their way. It's a lot of work though, like a whole other job on top of a job on top of a job.

Lastly:
  • Support local journalism!
  • Keep an eye out for journalists whose work you admire
  • Respect news and verified reporting, research more if you're interested
  • Don't fall down the "fake news" wormhole but still keep a critical eye
  • PAY FOR A NEWS SUBSCRIPTION (if you can). News outlets that don't have to chase click ads as much can invest in investigatory journalism
That's very, very sensible. It's good that someone like that is in public office.

AOC grumbled about the "pink tax", women-related products and services being more expensive than men-related ones. Like women's drycleaning costing more than men's drycleaning in many places. Also women having to spend more time in various necessary and presumed-necessary tasks -- and being paid less than men for the work that they do.

She likes to experiment. Like she once thought that shimmer wouldn't help her, but when she tried it, it looked great.

Turning to lipstick, “I will wear a red lip when I want confidence, when I need a boost of confidence.” A problem with wearing lipstick is that one should avoid having to continually fix it during the day, and AOC has found a low-maintenance brand: "Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I have been getting many inquiries about my debate lip color in the last two days.
I GOT YOU.
It’s Stila “Stay All Day” Liquid in Beso. 💄 https://t.co/xhkxSXZXCO" / Twitter

On June 17, 2018 - the lipstick that she wore when debating her opponent Joe Crowley.

Back to Vogue.
“If I had to give one piece of advice, it is that the key to beauty is the inside job—the key to beauty is feeling beautiful, and no amount of money or makeup can really compensate for loving yourself,” Ocasio-Cortez says. “If you need a little boost or if you’re feeling particularly challenged that day, look in the mirror and say, ‘I’m the bomb, and I will make the world a better place in my own little pocket because that’s what I’m here to do’…. There’s something that you bring, and you need to know that, and that is the best beauty secret of them all.”

This pink tax could be an interesting thread on it's own. There's a perfectly reasonably reason why women pay more at the dry cleaners than men. It is sexism! It just costs more to clean women's shirts than men:

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/08/15/fashion-belts-dry-cleaning-gender-based-pricing/

I wonder what the "various necessary and presumed necessary tasks" are that she's talking about that cost more for women than men?

That's not my experience. Shampoos are the ones that leave residue. I switched to bar soap, Irish Spring to be exact. a long time ago.

I GOT YOU.
It’s Stila “Stay All Day” Liquid in Beso. ?????? https://t.co/xhkxSXZXCO" / Twitter

Back to Vogue.

This pink tax could be an interesting thread on it's own. There's a perfectly reasonably reason why women pay more at the dry cleaners than men. It is sexism! It just costs more to clean women's shirts than men:

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/08/15/fashion-belts-dry-cleaning-gender-based-pricing/

I wonder what the "various necessary and presumed necessary tasks" are that she's talking about that cost more for women than men?

Perhaps she means tampons?

That's not my experience. Shampoos are the ones that leave residue. I switched to bar soap, Irish Spring to be exact. a long time ago.

I don’t notice any residue. I’m currently using Dr. Bronner’s. Now, I could probably buy seven bars of Irish Spring for the cost one one bar of Dr. Bronner’s but that’s my choice now, isn’t it? And that is also my point. No one, male or female should complain about the cost of toiletries/grooming as it is choice. Feel me? If one doesn’t like the cost of dry cleaning, one should not buy clothes that need to be dry cleaned. To say nothing of the godawful hazmat left behind. And all for vanity. For shame.

Seconded. As usual, dig beneath the surface of discrimination and you find economics that have nothing to do with discrimination.

Seconded. As usual, dig beneath the surface of discrimination and you find economics that have nothing to do with discrimination.

Yea. BTW: I meant to say that the reason women sometimes pay more for dry-cleaning isn't due to sexism.

Back
Top Bottom